Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 660 of 725

Thread: 2020-21 — Reports From the Rink

  1. #641
    Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Seaside Park NJ
    Posts
    3,249
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    The PP was 7th last year. In the last 5 and a half weeks since Panarin came back the PP is 5th in the league. Seems like some pretty strong evidence that Strome, Zib, and Panarin on the same unit works well and produces fantastic results.
    Top 5 is pretty good for something that's not working and takes so much criticism. Imagine if they were to shoot the puck more often at times but in general the results especially the last 5-6 weeks is fine. I don't see the intense need to play the 2nd PP unit anymore then they are now based on the actual results, but that's just me.


    Last edited by jsrangers; 04-21-2021 at 06:18 PM.

  2. #642
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7,390
    Rep Power
    109
    Quinn explains why Rangers continue to sit Gauthier
    https://www.thescore.com/s/17702057

    Quinn makes it sound like Gauthier bothers him. LOL.

    Are Blackwell, Howden or Rooney REALLY contributing at a level where he can't take them out for a different look and a guy that brings more of what this team is lacking?

  3. #643
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    623
    Rep Power
    33
    I mean, thereís no space in the top-9. Gauthier isnít a 4th line plug. At least Howden and Rooney kill penalties


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    If you remember Cash or Czech?, do you remember my password?

  4. #644
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7,390
    Rep Power
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I mean, thereís no space in the top-9. Gauthier isnít a 4th line plug. At least Howden and Rooney kill penalties


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Blackwell though...

  5. #645
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    623
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Blackwell though...
    Kravtsov deserves that spot more than Gauthier.

  6. #646
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,005
    Rep Power
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I mean, there’s no space in the top-9. Gauthier isn’t a 4th line plug. At least Howden and Rooney kill penalties


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Do they? They were on for both goals against including the PK goal against. Howden and Rooney don't actually do much of anything. Howden has 1 goal this year and it was into an empty net. Rangers clearly don't care about 4th line roles as Kravstov is on the 4th. It's nothing other than an insult at this point that Howden is playing wing over Gauthier. On any other team, I'd say you're right. He doesn't fit that 4th line role. But neither does Kravstov. And neither does Howden.

  7. #647
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,715
    Rep Power
    63
    The Howden saga has reached a new level of absurdity with him playing over Gauthier. The only further level of absurdity will be reached when they protect Howden.

  8. #648
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,490
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    The Howden saga has reached a new level of absurdity with him playing over Gauthier. The only further level of absurdity will be reached when they protect Howden.
    Be prepared. lol

  9. #649
    Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    4,194
    Rep Power
    241
    I'm not sure if the Rangers will protect him: Here's the scoop on Expansion protection: http://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-krak...ed/c-302586918

    Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

    * All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

    * All first- and second-year professionals, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

    In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

    * One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

    * Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

    * One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

    * Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.


    How do you think we play this one??

  10. #650
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,699
    Rep Power
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Do they? They were on for both goals against including the PK goal against. Howden and Rooney don't actually do much of anything. Howden has 1 goal this year and it was into an empty net. Rangers clearly don't care about 4th line roles as Kravstov is on the 4th. It's nothing other than an insult at this point that Howden is playing wing over Gauthier. On any other team, I'd say you're right. He doesn't fit that 4th line role. But neither does Kravstov. And neither does Howden.
    Oh no, they gave up a goal on the PK.

    The PK has been top 5 in the league all season. Buch and Zib kill ~46% of the time and Howden and Rooney kill ~39% of the time. Seems like they're pretty successful.

  11. #651
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    623
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Oh no, they gave up a goal on the PK.

    The PK has been top 5 in the league all season. Buch and Zib kill ~46% of the time and Howden and Rooney kill ~39% of the time. Seems like they're pretty successful.
    And Howden had a broken stick. Very cherry-picked example of a non-issue where a player is actually useful.

  12. #652
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84,108
    Rep Power
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    And Howden had a broken stick. Very cherry-picked example of a non-issue where a player is actually useful.
    And, that broken stick is Quinn's responsibility to deal with, right? A good coach would always have his players checking their sticks at all times. He's clearly overmatched at this level.


  13. #653
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,005
    Rep Power
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    And Howden had a broken stick. Very cherry-picked example of a non-issue where a player is actually useful.
    No. The point was that Gauthier can't play because he's not a typical 4th line plug. My point was that the Rangers clearly don't care about that. Kravstov is on the 4th line. Howden can easily be replaced by Gauthier. Howden being some kind PK wizard is just not an argument. He's more or less a space filler who can be replaced. When the Rangers are scored against on the PK, he's usually out there. He's a -29 in his career. So, pretending he's good at defense just doesn't align with what's true.

    I don't really care about Gauthier at this point, but pretending he can't possibly play over Howden is just not reality. Previously it was that Gauthier can't play over Howden because well at least Howden win's faceoffs. Well, the guys not even playing center anymore. The Rangers were just fine when he had COVID. Howden offers basically nothing other than a warm body.

  14. #654
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,715
    Rep Power
    63
    The way it's shaping up now, the seventh protected forward spot is a choice between Gauthier, Howden, Blackwell and Rooney. Conventional wisdom would be to protect Gauthier as the player with the highest upside, but the cult of Howden is so strong, I wouldn't bet on it.

    When Billy Carroll scored one goal in a season for the Islanders, at least it wasn't a gratuitous gift from a teammate against an empty net.

  15. #655
    Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    4,194
    Rep Power
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    The way it's shaping up now, the seventh protected forward spot is a choice between Gauthier, Howden, Blackwell and Rooney. Conventional wisdom would be to protect Gauthier as the player with the highest upside, but the cult of Howden is so strong, I wouldn't bet on it.

    When Billy Carroll scored one goal in a season for the Islanders, at least it wasn't a gratuitous gift from a teammate against an empty net.
    Howden would actually be the LAST guy listed here that I would keep protected, Sod. LOL

  16. #656
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,699
    Rep Power
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    No. The point was that Gauthier can't play because he's not a typical 4th line plug. My point was that the Rangers clearly don't care about that. Kravstov is on the 4th line. Howden can easily be replaced by Gauthier. Howden being some kind PK wizard is just not an argument. He's more or less a space filler who can be replaced. When the Rangers are scored against on the PK, he's usually out there. He's a -29 in his career. So, pretending he's good at defense just doesn't align with what's true.

    I don't really care about Gauthier at this point, but pretending he can't possibly play over Howden is just not reality. Previously it was that Gauthier can't play over Howden because well at least Howden win's faceoffs. Well, the guys not even playing center anymore. The Rangers were just fine when he had COVID. Howden offers basically nothing other than a warm body.
    So your argument is that when they give a PP goal, one of their penalty killers is on the ice?

    PK is 5th in the league.

    Bergeron leads the Bruins with 10 PP goals scored against him in 89 minutes of PK time. He should give back all his Selkes since Howden sucks at the PK with 11 PP goals against in 82 minutes of PK.

  17. #657
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    84,108
    Rep Power
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    So your argument is that when they give a PP goal, one of their penalty killers is on the ice?

    PK is 5th in the league.

    Bergeron leads the Bruins with 10 PP goals scored against him in 89 minutes of PK time. He should give back all his Selkes since Howden sucks at the PK with 11 PP goals against in 82 minutes of PK.
    I normally agree with you, but you know you're making a disingenuous argument here.

  18. #658
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,699
    Rep Power
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I normally agree with you, but you know you're making a disingenuous argument here.
    Lol, just illustrating the point...like a smart ass

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  19. #659
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,005
    Rep Power
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    So your argument is that when they give a PP goal, one of their penalty killers is on the ice?

    PK is 5th in the league.

    Bergeron leads the Bruins with 10 PP goals scored against him in 89 minutes of PK time. He should give back all his Selkes since Howden sucks at the PK with 11 PP goals against in 82 minutes of PK.
    Again. No. My argument is that he was not missed when he was out for two weeks with COVID. My argument is that he's replaceable, not only by Gauthier but by pretty much anyone. The PK didn't suffer without him. AT ALL. Again, he's not some defensive wizard, he's just a guy. 1g (empty net), 5 assists, -2. He barely exists, let alone contributes.

    This idea that he's somehow carved out a role that no one else can do is utter nonsense. I feel like you know that too, I'm not sure why this is even a debate lol.

  20. #660
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7,390
    Rep Power
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Kravtsov deserves that spot more than Gauthier.
    How's that? He's played 13 games and has 3 points. On pace for the exact output as Gauthier, just with gifted icetime and a free pass up the lineup.

    No matter, Give Kravtsov that spot and put Gauthier on the 4th line.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •