Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Chitty chitty bang bang! BSBH Legend

Eichel Expected to be Dealt by the Draft

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    My interest in Eichel has cooled, but if you can get a player of his talent level on the team for relatively cheap, you go for it. LLtK mentioned acquiring him with retention a while back and I think that's the only way this trade makes any sense for the Rangers. Eichel at $10M doesn't work for the team in the long term. Eichel at $7.5-8M can.

If I had to guess what a reasonable offer would be I'd say: Strome, Gauthier, Robertson, 1st, Conditional 2023 2nd (Turns into 2023 1st Rd. Pick if the Rangers make the Stanley Cup finals in 2022 or 2023.)

I think at most you're adding another B prospect there or Colin Blackwell if he's not in Seattle. Strome gives Buffalo a first-line center that's below Eichel but still more than capable of working with Olofsson and Cozens. Also, a hard worker and leader to help establish a team identity in Buffalo. Gauthier hasn't accomplished much but he still has some boom to him and won't face the same struggles breaking into a lineup that he would here. Robertson makes sense as a D prospect because Buffalo already has a glut of top defenders in Dahlin, Risto, and likely Owen Power soon to join them. Robertson gives them a steady defensive-minded type to work with their more dynamic options.

It's basically the Ryan O'Reilly trade with some slightly better pieces.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I’m fine with getting Eichel, though I don’t think he fills a glaring need. But if you can get a player of this caliber at pennies on the dollar in terms of asset management, then sure. Especially if you are trading Strome, who I like, in the process. If they retain on Eichel and take Strome, you’re talking about (for next season at the very least) adding Eichel for only a few million.

They need to make sure there is enough cap space and trade capital to address their holes in the bottom-6. If you can get Eichel while doing that, all power to you.

But, this is all speculation because we first need to know what is going on with his neck.
    Last edited by RichieNextel305; 06-10-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    It's basically the Ryan O'Reilly trade with some slightly better pieces.
    We all know how well that one worked for STL Cup + Conn Smythe winner? Please and thanks.

Senior Member Junior Division
    If the Rangers actually do trade for Eichel, you have to believe they did their due diligence on the injury. It's a franchise altering move.

Senior Member Squirt Division Lord Al's Avatar
    Inside the Sabres: Evaluating 5 possible landing spots for Jack Eichel

New York Rangers

Projected cap space: $23.775 million.

Potential NHL targets: Center Filip Chytil, winger Kaapo Kakko, winger Vitali Kravtsov, goalie Alex Georgiev, defenseman K’Andre Miller, Pavel Buchnevich.

Prospects to consider: Center Morgan Barron, winger Lauri Pajuniemi, center Karl Henriksson, defenseman Zac Jones, winger Will Cuylle, defenseman Nils Lundqvist.

The Rangers can make an Eichel trade work if they are willing to move Alexis Lafreniere or Kaapo Kakko, but it sounds like newly appointed General Manager Chris Drury doesn’t want to go that route.

The Sabres also aren’t in need of a defenseman, so neither K’Andre Miller nor Nils Lundqvist are all that attractive as part of an Eichel trade. A package built around Filip Chytil, Vitali Kravtsov and Alex Georgiev would not be enough for me to pull the trigger on a deal, either.

The Rangers can try to convince Adams by agreeing to part with Pavel Buchnevich, a 26-year-old wing with 20 goals in 54 games this season. Buchnevich is a restricted free agent, but the Sabres can afford to give him a new contract.

Buffalo also should push to acquire winger Vitali Kravtsov. A 21-year-old who spent most of this past season in Russia, Kravtsov was drafted ninth overall in 2018. Georgiev, 25, has a .912 save percentage in 96 career NHL games.

While the Rangers have a glaring need at center and reportedly had interest in Eichel last offseason, they likely won't be willing to part with the assets necessary to make a deal that works for Buffalo.

Possible trade package: Buchnevich, Kravtsov, Georgiev and a 2021 first-round draft pick (15th overall).
    https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabre...f5ae72530.html

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It's not an awful proposal by any means, but the fact it includes (arguably) the Rangers top two right-wings makes it logistically uncomfortable. The post-trade solution, barring a free agent signing, would effectively be to move Kreider to the right (something I've already suggested should happen sooner rather than later anyway) and then hope and pray Kakko's much improved defense finally brings along some offense with it as the team's 2RW.

Panarin - Eichel - Kreider
    Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kakko
    Blackwell - Strome - Chytil
    Barron - Rooney - Gauthier
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division Lord Al's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    It's not an awful proposal by any means, but the fact it includes (arguably) the Rangers top two right-wings makes it logistically uncomfortable. The post-trade solution, barring a free agent signing, would effectively be to move Kreider to the right (something I've already suggested should happen sooner rather than later anyway) and then hope and pray Kakko's much improved defense finally brings along some offense with it as the team's 2RW.

Panarin - Eichel - Kreider
    Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kakko
    Blackwell - Strome - Chytil
    Barron - Rooney - Gauthier
    Need a heavyweight to ride shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Al View Post
    Need a heavyweight to ride shotgun.

That's not my suggested lineup, it's what you basically end up with barring any other moves.

Drew a Penalty and I were talking offline and came to the same solution for the fourth line: sign Martinook and Bellemare.

Bellemare - Rooney - Martinook

Probably carry Barron as an exra to sub in and out with Bellemare throughout the season.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

The trouble is, whatever package you might send for Eichel, it would not leave enough, or at least not permit enough flexibility, for the get grit deals.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    The trouble is, whatever package you might send for Eichel, it would not leave enough, or at least not permit enough flexibility, for the get grit deals.
    That depends on what is being shipped out the door. If you send Strome and say Buchnevich together in a deal, you are only talking about adding another $2.25 Million to the cap.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    If they get Eichel, both Strome and Zibanejad have a year left in NY, at most.
    Eichel is an upgrade over both, and you need middle 6 C that checks different boxes in order to be competitive.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I'll treat this Eichel trade how the Cops taught us to treat drugs in middle school. JUST SAY NO!!! Not what this team needs at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jsm7302 View Post
    I'll treat this Eichel trade how the Cops taught us to treat drugs in middle school. JUST SAY NO!!! Not what this team needs at the moment.
    yeah but then what did you end up doing?

Trading for Eichel would bring us back to the Phil Esposito school of management. I wouldn't sign the guy right now if he were a UFA at $10m plus, so I certainly wouldn't give up significant assets for the privilege of paying him that.

Senior Member Midget Division
    I've been going back and forth on it more lately, leaning more towards 'no. The neck issue is concerning and any team who wants to trade for him really should do their homework when it comes to injury like that. If it's something that's going to permanently hamper a skilled player like that, I would worry, especially as they get older. A skilled player who could have a hard time actually keeping his neck on a swivel is not ideal. I also don't think he seems to have the best attitude. I know Buffalo has been really bad and he's frustrated and speaking out, I get it. But, there's something about him that just rubs me the wrong way.

Junior Member Mite Division skjeitheday's Avatar
    I'd much rather they moved Buchnevich, Jones and Blackwell for Reinhart and a pick. Reinhart has a tremendous shot. He doesn't pass up shots. He's a north-south guy. Tough. On a better team he will pump in 35-40 goals every year. He's the guy I would target there.

Quote Originally Posted by skjeitheday View Post
    I'd much rather they moved Buchnevich, Jones and Blackwell for Reinhart and a pick. Reinhart has a tremendous shot. He doesn't pass up shots. He's a north-south guy. Tough. On a better team he will pump in 35-40 goals every year. He's the guy I would target there.
    Good player. Underrated. Putting up three straight 20+ goal seasons for the Sabres is no easy feat.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by skjeitheday View Post
    dont see the reason to trade all of that for someone we already have in Buch. But i definitely love Reinhart

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Let's do it! Cmon Larry, write an article!! Make it happen!!

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast