Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Senior Member Junior Division
    Im just so torn on whether or not I want us to trade for him.

Everything is going in the right direction for us, so on the one hand I say dont fix what isnt broken, let it grow organically. Another hand says, Eichel puts us over the top.

We dont know what the asking price is, or will be. So I will just say this.

Untouchables in a trade for Eichel
    Panarin
    Zibanejad
    Kakko
    Lafrenierre
    Fox
    Lundkvist

Wouldn't be happy giving up Jones or Schneider either.

So what does that leave us with that makes a fair offer? probably not much. No team that is in a position where they have to trade an Eichel level player should expect a fair deal in return. but they'll need something they can sell to their fanbase that will make them feel like it's worth it to move on. No player at this type of level should be viewed as a 'definitely don't trade for him' every player has a value that makes it fair and worth it to bring them in. I don't see us being willing to give up what they will want.

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Even the forum doesn't want to trade for Eichel.

We've waived the NMC on this thread; resume discussion.
    I just don't think he's what we need, G. He's very talented, sure, but we have plenty of talent. We need a "different breed" in my opinion. I still think we're closer to being a force than a lot of people think....

...and it should be a lot easier to buy/trade for 3 bottom 6 players that can play up and down the lineup.

But the book on Eichel for me is closed....I'd rather have Zibby/Strome as #1/#2....but we need to get Zibby locked up...Strome too, eventually!

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I just don't think he's what we need, G. He's very talented, sure, but we have plenty of talent. We need a "different breed" in my opinion. I still think we're closer to being a force than a lot of people think....

...and it should be a lot easier to buy/trade for 3 bottom 6 players that can play up and down the lineup.

But the book on Eichel for me is closed....I'd rather have Zibby/Strome as #1/#2....but we need to get Zibby locked up...Strome too, eventually!
    I'm with you here.

The gamble, so to speak, is that Eichel is suppressed enough by being in Buffalo that giving him better players around him would push his production up toward Panarin-esque levels. That's a big ass gamble. Maybe it pays off - shit, if Ryan Strome can be a point a game guy with Panarin, what's Eichel? Ginger Mario Lemueix? - but the most likely outcome is that Eiclel continues to be a point per game player and has one or two years where he pushes higher. He doesn't solve a problem - he's not a shoot-first guy, he's not a big body, he's not a "been there before team leader" type. Guy doesn't win faceoffs at the clip we'd want either. He solves a problem that doesn't really exist - or at least only exists in the mind of Strome doubters.

I just can't bring myself to make this deal when we've already got a guy doing what we HOPE Eichel does. It seems like absolutely ass-backward management.

Put another way - a much cheaper version of this deal - just the 1st and a prospect - got Winnipeg to deal us a 40 point defender. It's gotten 25 year old high-quality centers shipped to LA and Columbus. We need a mid-six C with size that can win faceoffs, be defensively responsible, and thinks to shoot first - Eichel isn't that. At all. Aim lower, make a different deal for the right player.

Or, do this exact deal for Brayden Point and at least hit on one of the real needs we have.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    If they go Eichel-Danault (<4.5) -Chytil-4C then it’s different, maybe not enough, but closer

any combo of Eichel, Zibanejad, Strome, Chytil hasn’t addressed the issue.

I'm with you here.

The gamble, so to speak, is that Eichel is suppressed enough by being in Buffalo that giving him better players around him would push his production up toward Panarin-esque levels. That's a big ass gamble. Maybe it pays off - shit, if Ryan Strome can be a point a game guy with Panarin, what's Eichel? Ginger Mario Lemueix? - but the most likely outcome is that Eiclel continues to be a point per game player and has one or two years where he pushes higher. He doesn't solve a problem - he's not a shoot-first guy, he's not a big body, he's not a "been there before team leader" type. Guy doesn't win faceoffs at the clip we'd want either. He solves a problem that doesn't really exist - or at least only exists in the mind of Strome doubters.

I just can't bring myself to make this deal when we've already got a guy doing what we HOPE Eichel does. It seems like absolutely ass-backward management.

Put another way - a much cheaper version of this deal - just the 1st and a prospect - got Winnipeg to deal us a 40 point defender. It's gotten 25 year old high-quality centers shipped to LA and Columbus. We need a mid-six C with size that can win faceoffs, be defensively responsible, and thinks to shoot first - Eichel isn't that. At all. Aim lower, make a different deal for the right player.

Or, do this exact deal for Brayden Point and at least hit on one of the real needs we have.
    Yeah G, we're on the same page for sure, man!

I'd love a younger prototype of a Getzlaf....
    Point is an arbitration eligible RFA I think, so I'm not sure we can get him so easily, but he helps solve a problem...absolutely!

I still want a Matt Martin/Ryan Reaves type too though....I've seen these kids take too much shit. Gallant won't stand for that either, I'm sure...not the way he used to babysit for Stevie Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Yeah G, we're on the same page for sure, man!

I'd love a younger prototype of a Getzlaf....
    Point is an arbitration eligible RFA I think, so I'm not sure we can get him so easily, but he helps solve a problem...absolutely!

I still want a Matt Martin/Ryan Reaves type too though....I've seen these kids take too much shit. Gallant won't stand for that either, I'm sure...not the way he used to babysit for Stevie Y.
    Honestly, they just don't make centers like Getzlaf anymore. Here and there you'll see one (Byfield comes to mind), but the "modern" center is 2 inches shorter and 20lbs lighter - minimum.

The aforementioned Point is 5'10 180.

Honestly, they just don't make centers like Getzlaf anymore. Here and there you'll see one (Byfield comes to mind), but the "modern" center is 2 inches shorter and 20lbs lighter - minimum.

The aforementioned Point is 5'10 180.
    Yeah but his will, and determination is 6' 8" and 245 lbs!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    If they go Eichel-Danault (<4.5) -Chytil-4C then it’s different, maybe not enough, but closer

any combo of Eichel, Zibanejad, Strome, Chytil hasn’t addressed the issue.
    If you move Zibanejad to wing after dealing a Buch or Kravstov for Eichel, then backfill on the 3rd line center with Danault or someone cheaper, I think it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If you move Zibanejad to wing after dealing a Buch or Kravstov for Eichel, then backfill on the 3rd line center with Danault or someone cheaper, I think it makes sense.
    I don't understand why you move Zibanejad to wing. Even if he plays wing, you want his shot facing the net and you want him comfortable; he'd play LW. Doesn't make sense.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Mika is a top center in the world, in the prime of his career. They’re not moving him to wing.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    If he floats like he did last year, his new position will be left press box.

Lol, he didn'tfloat. He just forgot how to shoot and stick handle for half the season.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Floats? Mika scored three hat tricks in half a season.

I don't understand why you move Zibanejad to wing. Even if he plays wing, you want his shot facing the net and you want him comfortable; he'd play LW. Doesn't make sense.
    He played most of his time in Ottawa as a right wing. Started HERE as a wing.. LW, RW, doesn't really matter.

Not sure why everyone thinks every righty shot needs to play the off wing, but every left wing we have is lefty... Some all time great RWs wete righty shots. Selanne, Hull, Gartner, Howe, Bossy Lafleur..... where you line up doesn't always dictate where you wind up on the ice.

You move him to wing, because you don't want to get rid of him and you need to find a spot to utilize his skills on the top lines. If you bring in Eichel Zibanejad as a center is redundant. More of the same.
    Last edited by The Dude; Today at 11:37 AM.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637