• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Vikings

momentum

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know what the deal is? Was the 9th episode the last one until next season? It didn't really end with much of a cliff-hanger.

Yup. Cliff-hanger is Rollo agreeing to fight against Ragnar heading into next season. I agree though, not the best way to end the season, but if you know the story of Ragnar Lodbrok (the historical figure the show's Lothbrok is based on), they had to do something like this to press the story on.

Yup. Cliff-hanger is Rollo agreeing to fight against Ragnar heading into next season. I agree though, not the best way to end the season, but if you know the story of Ragnar Lodbrok (the historical figure the show's Lothbrok is based on), they had to do something like this to press the story on.

Yeah, I just wish there was more of a "this is the season-ender" feeling to it. I know the whole thing with Rollo, and Aslaug being pregnant, and the war, etc. But I had no idea it was the season ender. Nothing that said so before or after. I just went to look at the DVR today to watch last Sunday's episode and was like, "what the hell??

She's gonna be even more pissed if/when they cut the series short to just two or three seasons.

Again, the story of Ragnar Lodbrok, the charcter the Lothbrok one is based on, has sort of.... a short life.

She's gonna be even more pissed if/when they cut the series short to just two or three seasons.

Again, the story of Ragnar Lodbrok, the charcter the Lothbrok one is based on, has sort of.... a short life.

Yup. And unless they do a fast-forward kind of thing for one of the seasons, we're not going to get to see his sons (like Bjorn) eventually avenge him. There can't be much more left to the Ragnar story. Probably another season, MAYBE two, and they'll run out of material. And there's no way the kid who plays Bjorn, or Ragnar's unborn son with Aslaugh, will be old enough to pick up the next arc according to legend.

They'll have two options: fast-forward and continue with new actors as Ragnar's sons, or move to different famous Vikings.

I actually agree. Great first season for a show to start on.

I'm contemplating doing a play on the name Ragnar and changing my username to "Ranger Lothbrok." I'm having trouble making the commitment though. ;)

:rofl: I love it. I'd rep it.

Remember guys the show is called Vikings..not Ragnar Lothbrok....so if it's extremely popular they COULD go on with this story indefinitely or for a VERY long time considering the Viking age stretched for hundreds of years after him...just saying..

Yes, and Ragnar is the main protagonist. How many shows can you name where the main protagonist dies and the show survives?

I know I know, but a man can dream can't he?? Seriously I think in this specific case it COULD be successful just because the show is so much about the TIME where it's taking place and the culture and the adventure etc. Ragnar had several sons that they could at least continue with but they could somehow fuse in some other character that you get to follow on some adventure as well. It's all about the writing and the casting. If they're both really really good they could continue this show even after Ragnar's possible death.

I know I for one wouldn't stop watching Vikings if Ragnar died in the next episode for example, even though I love him and think Travis Fimmel is doing a fantastic job portraiting him it's still the world of the Vikings as whole that draws me and makes me want to watch, not Ragnar himself. Also Ragnar is more or less mythical and if they wanted they could simply drag the show out for as many seasons as they wanted with him having whatever adventure they want to then in the end have him die if they want when they want to wrap the show up anyway.

I really hope they don't do a "Rome" with this show and wrap it up much too early.

I know I know, but a man can dream can't he?? Seriously I think in this specific case it COULD be successful just because the show is so much about the TIME where it's taking place and the culture and the adventure etc. Ragnar had several sons that they could at least continue with but they could somehow fuse in some other character that you get to follow on some adventure as well. It's all about the writing and the casting. If they're both really really good they could continue this show even after Ragnar's possible death.

I know I for one wouldn't stop watching Vikings if Ragnar died in the next episode for example, even though I love him and think Travis Fimmel is doing a fantastic job portraiting him it's still the world of the Vikings as whole that draws me and makes me want to watch, not Ragnar himself. Also Ragnar is more or less mythical and if they wanted they could simply drag the show out for as many seasons as they wanted with him having whatever adventure they want to then in the end have him die if they want when they want to wrap the show up anyway.

I really hope they don't do a "Rome" with this show and wrap it up much too early.

Are you insinuating that our very own board moderator prematurely dons prophylactics? Because I'm a firm believer in safe sex, and personally I think it's never too early to wrap it up. Unless of course you're still on the date or something. Then it's just creepy.

Are you insinuating that our very own board moderator prematurely dons prophylactics? Because I'm a firm believer in safe sex, and personally I think it's never too early to wrap it up. Unless of course you're still on the date or something. Then it's just creepy.

LOL didn't even think of the Phil being Rome 2.0...good one!! :) I was ofc referring to the show "Rome" that was way too short :)

They may not have a choice in wrapping this up early. As I mentioned before, you can think of spinning the series off by covering other vikings from the time, but this program is designed entirely around the rise of Ragnar Lothbrok, who is the show's main protagonist. I can't think of a single television program who offed their protagonist and found success by keeping the show alive. The death of the main protagonist is designed as an indicator of the show's end in 99.9% of cases.

The only case I can think of where that wasn't the case was with Game of Thrones and Ned Stark, but I'd also argue that not only was Ned not the main protagonist, but that the show has no main protagonist, period. It has multiple POV characters to which an entire series is based around with how they all interact with one another.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
What. The. Fuck.

Why would they show Floki dying in the trailer???!?!?!??!

Thought the same myself. Especially such a popular character. But maybe he isn't actually dying? Just injured? Or maybe this "trailer" is actually a scene from like the last episode of the season? I'd hope things don't start this way. I love Floki.