• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Rebuild Centered Around Tricky Artemi Panarin, Kevin Hayes Pursuit

Phil

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe both Kreider and Panarin will be effective NHL players for 5 - 7 years.

The difference being, and a very important one for the Rangers, Panarin controls play, can carry a line, and puts up elite points. Not the best comparables, IMO.

While I agree that I don’t like signing kreider long term, I don’t think he’s a player that doesn’t have 5 more Kreider like years. His game has no frills. It’s straight line go to the net. Unless injury derails him there is nothing that makes meworry about him other than his usual disappearing act which has nothing to do with age. In fact maybe age will help him from disappearing for to long. It’s the guy who handles the puck all game that I worry about. As the game speed increases and he ages will he keep up? That is not kreiders game, it’s panarins.

Guys lose their legs and speed as they age, and then they lose their effectiveness and roster spot to younger, faster players. Maybe Kreider keeps it. Maybe not

More likely that he does decline, given the style you mentioned of going to the net and dealing with bodies and traffic. That style contributes to injury risk too

Your point about Panarin is reasonable though. Puck is on his stick a lot and he has to deal with defenders checking and converging on him as a result. But he’s in the dirty and dangerous areas less than Kreider I would say.

There’s risk with both. But Panarin is the better player for certain, so I’d be more inclined to roll the dice on him than Kreider.

By the way, if Artemi Panarin cares about such things, tax implications as calculated on GavinGroup.ca seem to indicate the Rangers would have to play the impending free agent Columbus winger just above $12.374 million per to equal an $11 million per offer from Joel Quenneville’s Panthers.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/13/blue-jackets-lightning-stunner-would-be-bad-news-for-rangers/

Endorsements are more national and electronic now than before. It’s no longer regional like it was.

I’m guessing the taxes are a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

True that.

But you get greater exposure, become more recognizable and build your name and clout bigger in NY. Being a few blocks from Madison Avenue doesn’t hurt either.

True that.

But you get greater exposure, become more recognizable and build your name and clout bigger in NY. Being a few blocks from Madison Avenue doesn?t hurt either.

The largest endorsements in the NHL are in Pittsburgh, Nashville, Washington, Tampa, etc.

and those endorsements are primarily hockey gear/apparel, and national brands.

I think it?s comes down to the individual, not the location .

Taxes have absolutely never helped the Panthers land a player over the Rangers.

Florida teams don’t win. There should not under any circumstances be 9, count them, 9, major sports franchises in that state. Interest in most of those teams are usually very low. Most of them have their struggles at the gate. Even at the height of the LeBron James Heat days, during their title runs, people were showing up in 2nd quarter and leaving midway through the 4th.

Teams down there draw athletes because of the absence of state tax and the weather and lifestyle you can live. But that’s least true in hockey.

Even if Panarin signed there, Florida isn’t a true competitor with the Rangers for FA’s.

I don't buy that Panarin would make as much in endorsements with Florida than in New York.

He wouldn’t. No way.

This question is whether or not he wants to live in NYC or Miami, and how much a factor the tax implications and cost of living are, and what if anything the Rangers might do to offset that.

Endorsements are more national and electronic now than before. It’s no longer regional like it was.

I’m guessing the taxes are a big difference.

Not true.

Guys still do ads, commercials and appearances for local companies. Those pay more in NYC. Additionally, NYC has many more “international companies” than small markets.

And kreider is not your typical power forward. He’s one of the fastest guys in the league. The fact that’s hes big and strong makes him comparable butttpical power forwards don’t skate half as well as kreider. In fact 90% of the league doesn’t.

I've always thought Kreider was more similar to Gaborik than any power forward. Speed down the wing and that shot is what Gabby made a career out of.

Kreider has changed to be a net-front player though. He'll be able to score those goals for a long time. He's not as good of a scorer, but he can have the exact same career as Joe Pavelski.