• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

Maybe I'll make a go during the summer at some point to look around and go to a baseball game.

Pete, what's it like over by you? I'm going to be in Madison for school. Just curious if it's any colder or shittier than being in the city.

Madison is awesome. Stop by and hang. Same weather as city for most part. Hit or miss on storms.

It's not quite the same thing. Killing a deer does not have anywhere near the same effect on an ecosystem that the death of an endangered apex predator has

This.

One of the worst parts about Cecil's death is that he was the alpha to his pride. When the next male steps up to fill his massive void, it will kill all his cubs. So the death of one lion is going to result in the death of dozens of lions — all of whom are endangered because of colossal fucking pricks like Dickhead, DDS who care more about what a lions head looks like on their wall than they do the massive impact they are making on the environment to acquire it.

And this is coming from someone with the skull of an eight-point buck mounted on one of his walls. The difference between me and that fuckwad dentist? I actually ate the meat. We harvested almost all of the animal. It didn't die just to have it's skull mounted to my wall. Oh, and when this one died, dozens more weren't killed because of the alpha system. Not to mention they aren't even close to endangered.

OK, he ecosystem angle is legitimate, sure, but I guess what I'm trying to say is many people on my FB feed are heartbroken over a Lion and 3 months from now a lot of these same people will be gobbling up Deer and Moose tags by the thousands.

I don't hunt, I never will, I don't understand how these people sleep at night.

Now excuse me while I go eat a pound of beef for lunch.

OK, he ecosystem angle is legitimate, sure, but I guess what I'm trying to say is many people on my FB feed are heartbroken over a Lion and 3 months from now a lot of these same people will be gobbling up Deer and Moose tags by the thousands.

I don't hunt, I never will, I don't understand how these people sleep at night.

Now excuse me while I go eat a pound of beef for lunch.

But that's the line though, Dun. Deer and moose aren't endangered or being poached, let alone only for their skull and hide. That's really what's so upsetting about this all. This prick paid for the "right" to kill an endangered animal just so he could mount its head on a wall. It's horrible.

I've been at it with a vegan friend of mine about this last night and this morning because he's trying to draw the same line about eating meat. This isn't about the morality of meat consumption. It's about poaching endangered animals for trophies. There's a scientific justification to eating meat of non-endangered animals. There's no justification for trophy hunting a protected species because you want a lion-skin rug and his head mounted above your fireplace other than "because I felt like it".

I have a friend who has his own land in the Midwest and he hunts deer for the meat and eco-conservation. He has regularly extended invitations to vegetarian and vegan friends who criticize him to come help in the spring to clear the starved carcasses of animals that died over winter due to a lack of food from the deer eating everything in sight. It's a simple equation. Either they die by our hands and we benefit from it, or other animals will starve, die, maybe go extinct, and we get to clear that mess when the snow melts. I know my pick.

The dead lion, though... killed for the thrill of death. Fuck that.

I have a friend who has his own land in the Midwest and he hunts deer for the meat and eco-conservation. He has regularly extended invitations to vegetarian and vegan friends who criticize him to come help in the spring to clear the starved carcasses of animals that died over winter due to a lack of food from the deer eating everything in sight. It's a simple equation. Either they die by our hands and we benefit from it, or other animals will starve, die, maybe go extinct, and we get to clear that mess when the snow melts. I know my pick.

The dead lion, though... killed for the thrill of death. Fuck that.

Which is largely due in part to humans killing off natural predators in the areas. Wolves especially, who used to naturally keep deer population in check. But wolves also threatened human safety, especially the safety of children, so in turn humans now need to herd the deer population.

All-in-all it balances out, and the deer that are killed are mostly consumed. They aren't killed for the fucking "joy" of taking the life of an animal or just to hack their heads off to mount above your fireplace while the carcass is left to rot.

I'm pretty sure the Lion meat is consumed, and the Lion is also an danger to the local population. Just stating this, because I've read it in relation to this topic.

There is no local population (he lived on a preservation), and the meat was not consumed (except by scavengers like vultures and hyenas). He was skinned and beheaded and the carcass was left behind.

Out of curiosity, is anyone as infuriated by bowties as I am? Got one and can't for the life of me tie it. I mean I've tied it, but holy hell does it come out kind of wonky looking. It's really annoying because I'm really good with neckties and I have a bunch of them. Got a bowtie and now I feel like a kindergartener.

Out of curiosity, is anyone as infuriated by bowties as I am? Got one and can't for the life of me tie it. I mean I've tied it, but holy hell does it come out kind of wonky looking. It's really annoying because I'm really good with neckties and I have a bunch of them. Got a bowtie and now I feel like a kindergartener.

:lol:

Can't stand bow ties. Will never wear one. Do you have to for this occasion?

:lol:

Can't stand bow ties. Will never wear one. Do you have to for this occasion?

Not even for an occasion. Just bought one. I have like 50 something ties so I figured maybe add a bowtie to my collection. I spent like two hours practicing tying the fucking thing. I'm amazed I didn't strangle myself.

Not even for an occasion. Just bought one. I have like 50 something ties so I figured maybe add a bowtie to my collection. I spent like two hours practicing tying the fucking thing. I'm amazed I didn't strangle myself.

LOL

I hear ya. I gave them a very brief try a couple of years back... never again. I kept picturing this kid from Problem Child whenever I put one on.

http://www.technologytell.com/entertainment/files/2014/09/problem-child.jpg