• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Which Rangers Player Will Show the Most Improvement in 2019-20?

Which Ranger player will show the most improvement in 2019-2020?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which Ranger player will show the most improvement in 2019-2020?

• Brady Skjei
    • Tony DeAngelo
    • Pavel Buchnevich
    • Brett Howden
    • Filip Chytil
    • Lias Andersson
    • Brendan Lemieux

I do think Howden has the creativity and playmaking ability. We saw glimpes of it in his rookie year. Hopefully he'll add the consistency to his game needed for a 2C role. It will definitely help his game having some talent on his wings which will help his confidence to get to the next level. It's just one of a myriad of reasons I can't wait to see this team play.

Howden absolutely has 2nd line potential. I think he got a bit comfortable last season and let up. He wasn't as noticable as he was to start the year. I don't know if it was a nagging injury or something, but he was head and shoulders the 2nd best center option they had next to Hayes.

I voted Chytil, but I'm actually going to go with Strome. I think if he gets a chance at big minutes he can fulfill that potential he's always had. The guy looked really good when he got ice here. He's definitely more than a 4th liner. Very aggressive play and had kind of an edge to his game. I think that should be more along the lines of what Quinn is looking to have out there if Chytils skill doesn't mesh right away.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think Howden has the creativity and playmaking ability. We saw glimpes of it in his rookie year. Hopefully he'll add the consistency to his game needed for a 2C role. It will definitely help his game having some talent on his wings which will help his confidence to get to the next level. It's just one of a myriad of reasons I can't wait to see this team play.

Howden absolutely has 2nd line potential. I think he got a bit comfortable last season and let up. He wasn't as noticable as he was to start the year. I don't know if it was a nagging injury or something, but he was head and shoulders the 2nd best center option they had next to Hayes.

I hope you guys are right but what I saw after the first 20-25 games seemed like a borderline NHL player more-so than a 2nd line center. Personally I don't ever see enough offense coming from him but if he learns a shut-down defensive game he can be a great asset for us.

I hope you guys are right but what I saw after the first 20-25 games seemed like a borderline NHL player more-so than a 2nd line center. Personally I don't ever see enough offense coming from him but if he learns a shut-down defensive game he can be a great asset for us.
Same for the most part but we desperately need the offensive side to develop and I'm not real optimistic. Maybe the breakfast club starts paying off of he may have been dropped from that program already based on it not paying dividends so far. [emoji90]

Sticking with Lias Andersson. I'll acknowledge that it may be my own wishful thinking; I want VERY badly for him to avoid being the next Brendl/Jessiman/McIlrath. Seventh overall is awfully high to take a guy who waffles between the AHL and an NHL fourth line, which is what current performance would dictate. But our European scouting has been sensational in recent years, particularly in the Scandinavian area.

The biggest problem for me, at least, is his skating and, in today's league, that's downright fatal. That said, when watching him I see what they were thinking. The potential is there for a complete player. He'll never sniff 80 points, or even 70, but he has the potential to be a way more valuable Stepan. I can't help but feel that with a coach like Quinn and literally every spotlight that was on him now being on Kakko and Krav, he's going to excel. There are no expectations anymore, just a nebulous hope that his career justifies his cost. He's a good kid, a born leader and a hard worker, and I know it's killing him that his career is headed toward being another Rangers draft punchline.

I just have this sneaking suspicion that they put Kakko with him to start the season to ease Kakko in on the 3rd or 4th line and then magic strikes. And when I say magic, I don't mean 90 points. I mean 40-50, with 15-20 goals and every indication that there's room for more.

Sticking with Lias Andersson. I'll acknowledge that it may be my own wishful thinking; I want VERY badly for him to avoid being the next Brendl/Jessiman/McIlrath. Seventh overall is awfully high to take a guy who waffles between the AHL and an NHL fourth line, which is what current performance would dictate. But our European scouting has been sensational in recent years, particularly in the Scandinavian area.

The biggest problem for me, at least, is his skating and, in today's league, that's downright fatal. That said, when watching him I see what they were thinking. The potential is there for a complete player. He'll never sniff 80 points, or even 70, but he has the potential to be a way more valuable Stepan. I can't help but feel that with a coach like Quinn and literally every spotlight that was on him now being on Kakko and Krav, he's going to excel. There are no expectations anymore, just a nebulous hope that his career justifies his cost. He's a good kid, a born leader and a hard worker, and I know it's killing him that his career is headed toward being another Rangers draft punchline.

I just have this sneaking suspicion that they put Kakko with him to start the season to ease Kakko in on the 3rd or 4th line and then magic strikes. And when I say magic, I don't mean 90 points. I mean 40-50, with 15-20 goals and every indication that there's room for more.

From what I've seen thus far, Andersson is a shifty skater who uses his edges well. He's just not overly fast in terms of north/south speed. I don't quite follow the "bad skater" thing that's been promoted around here.

For every one player that performs instantly at 18-20 years old, there are dozens of players that take a few years before they start to produce at the NHL level. The Rangers were wrong with how NHL ready Andersson was, but I agree with you in that it doesn't mean they were wrong about his talent and/or compete level.

His very real skating issue is zero first step and acceleration.

They should send him to that ex-figure skater in Canada that Boyle went to. Prior to working with her, his skating was not that of an NHL player. He’s done very well for himself since.

They should send him to that ex-figure skater in Canada that Boyle went to. Prior to working with her, his skating was not that of an NHL player. He’s done very well for himself since.

Barb Underhill. Believe she works for the Leafs, now.

He needs NHL icetime and confidence more than anything.

That won’t hurt. Skating coach won’t hurt. Him getting a little older, filling out, and getting stronger as he moves into being a grown man and a full-time NHL’er won’t hurt

Kid needs to play, grow, and be coached

His very real skating issue is zero first step and acceleration.

But it's on good edges so there's that. In all seriousness to me he showed nothing that would indicate there's a ton of potential there at this level. I hope they don't gift the guy quality minutes with some of the better forwards, you should have to earn it unless your name is Kakko. Lias had the opportunity to show something last year and he wiffed.

But it's on good edges so there's that. In all seriousness to me he showed nothing that would indicate there's a ton of potential there at this level. I hope they don't gift the guy quality minutes with some of the better forwards, you should have to earn it unless your name is Kakko. Lias had the opportunity to show something last year and he wiffed.

I don’t think Quinn is the kind of coach who gifts most of anything

Yeah. Let's hand out unearned spots to 18 year olds because of draft position, and throw in the towel on 20 year old rookies because they didn't produce playing 10 minutes a night with solid stay at home names like Cody McLeod, Connor Brickley, and Vinni Lettieri. Solid development plan is solid.

• Like 1

Yeah. Let's hand out unearned spots to 18 year olds because of draft position, and throw in the towel on 20 year old rookies because they didn't produce playing 10 minutes a night with solid stay at home names like Cody McLeod, Connor Brickley, and Vinni Lettieri. Solid development plan is solid.

yeah you're right it's crazy to think Kakko will get off to a better start than Lias. Those linemates held him back from showing off his quick first step too. Hell he should play with is back to the play near the net so his ass can maybe score another goal. The kid who was touted by some for his fierce play and need to win (see throwing the medal) showed zero. Could he get better sure because there's nowhere to go but up if he's going to stick at this level. If we're not handing out slots based on draft position Lias will end up back in Hartford.

yeah you're right it's crazy to think Kakko will get off to a better start than Lias. Those linemates held him back from showing off his quick first step too. Hell he should play with is back to the play near the net so his ass can maybe score another goal. The kid who was touted by some for his fierce play and need to win (see throwing the medal) showed zero. Could he get better sure because there's nowhere to go but up if he's going to stick at this level. If we're not handing out slots based on draft position Lias will end up back in Hartford.

Strawman. The rest of this post is why many thought Rangers fans couldn't handle a rebuild.

Confidence is everything in sports. And I agree it appears to be something lacking in Lias’ game. I think not making the team and then playing a minimal role on bad lines really hurt him last season.

Of course nothing should be handed out, whether it’s Lias, Kakko or anyone else. I don’t think that’s part of Quinn’s MO anyway.

But I think Lias should be given every opportunity to make the 3c role his own. Try to build his confidence and belief in himself and his place in the team through camp. If it doesn’t work it doesn’t work, but considering the assets and capital invested in him it seems like a worthwhile exercise.

As for Howden, I’m not sure I see 2c upside there. I don’t think he’ll ever be a play driving 2c in his own right, but at times he looks like the type of intelligent, steady type you could have do a job on a line with two skilled wingers. It’ll be interesting to see which version of Howden shows up this year. I like a lot about his game, so hopefully it’s the excellent young player of the first half of the season and not the brutal one of the second half.

Going with Lias....although I wanna see all those guys have a great year. I just think Anderson has no where else but to go after last season. He just needs more time in the cooker. Chytil is going to be the guy though. I just want them to play a lot of games and stay on the ice a lot this season!

It's Chytil for me, based on the likelihood that he is going to be the beneficiary of some major forward upgrades. At bare minimum, he's probably playing with one of Kakko or Kravtosv, and potentially even Panarin depending on what happens with Kreider.

It's Chytil for me, based on the likelihood that he is going to be the beneficiary of some major forward upgrades. At bare minimum, he's probably playing with one of Kakko or Kravtosv, and potentially even Panarin depending on what happens with Kreider.

Does he stay on the wing or go back to his natural position of center?

I think Chytil takes huge strides. Lias and Howden could both be way better and still only get you 25-30 points, there improvement will be being reliable in the Dzone and on the PK before it will ever be in scoring. But in the top-6 and with PP time, Chytil could get you 55-60, at least, depending on who he plays with.