• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

Ahhhh its finally lawn season again. Did my first mow of the season on the front lawn yesterday. Also threw down prodiamine pre emergent, although a week later than I hoped to. I am currently doing some leveling in the nicer part of the back yard, getting rid of some dips and ruts.

We're in the process of refinancing right now and looking forward to getting some major projects done.

Ahhhh its finally lawn season again. Did my first mow of the season on the front lawn yesterday. Also threw down prodiamine pre emergent, although a week later than I hoped to. I am currently doing some leveling in the nicer part of the back yard, getting rid of some dips and ruts.

We're in the process of refinancing right now and looking forward to getting some major projects done.

How do you do that? My backyard looks like the Somme.

For a backyard rink???

How do you do that? My backyard looks like the Somme.

Sand, actually. Preferably screened and washed masonry sand, like used for pavers, etc. I know you wouldn't think to use sand in the lawn but its the best option because it is self leveling. I made a mixture of about 70% sand, sprinkled in some Milorganite(you can use any similar organic fertilizer) and the rest topsoil and mix it up real well. You want to get some kind of organic matter in with the sand to better amend the soil hence the topsoil and the organic fert. Dump the mixture into your ruts a little at a time and lightly rake it in and spread it out level. The two advantages of the sand is, again, its self leveling the more it gets wet, and also the particles are big enough that the grass should be able to grow through it where as if you just dump topsoil on top it'll suffocate and kill the grass under it and you'll end up having to reseed.

I know I was joking obviously.

Something like this is easy work. Its a waste to pay someone else to do that. Save the hard earned money for the harder work.

My whole yard is dips and ruts, and erosion meant it needed to be re-pitched away from my house. You've probably got a less significant issue.

• 3 weeks later...
Had LED hi-hats installed a couple of weeks ago which is now leading one thing to another. We now have to get the living room painted, but before we get painted we have to replace 2 windows (which is on 3 month backorder), which now led us to decide to install vinyl plank flooring in the living room since we have 3 months before we can get painted.

Yes, I have a new door/opener on order. 3 month lead time.

Went with modern black. Going black everything (doors, lights, roof) on a red brick house. Hopefully it works out.

Black works with everything.

Had LED hi-hats installed a couple of weeks ago which is now leading one thing to another. We now have to get the living room painted, but before we get painted we have to replace 2 windows (which is on 3 month backorder), which now led us to decide to install vinyl plank flooring in the living room since we have 3 months before we can get painted.

Nothing wrong with that- just curious what made you go with vinyl plank rather than say wood flooring?

Yes, I have a new door/opener on order. 3 month lead time.

Went with modern black. Going black everything (doors, lights, roof) on a red brick house. Hopefully it works out.

We kept the OG wooden door. Thinking about leaving the frame white and painting the square panels black.

Should I get a fence or plant some privacy bushes? I can't really do trees because my property has a septic tank with drain fields that will get messed up by invasive roots. Being outside the city lines is great for lower property taxes, but not so much on the topic of planting trees in the yard.

Should I get a fence or plant some privacy bushes? I can't really do trees because my property has a septic tank with drain fields that will get messed up by invasive roots. Being outside the city lines is great for lower property taxes, but not so much on the topic of planting trees in the yard.

I did privacy bushes and now we want a fence instead.

Fence l for sure. With some nice shrubs lining.