• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Henrik Lundqvist Announces Heart Condition; Will Not Play This Season

Phil

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were more than a handful of us that preferred they hang onto him going into this season. But not sure there's any guarantee things would of played out this way if they had, we'll never know. Who knows how long he's known something wasn't right. I tend to think he didn't know when he was still part of the org here. Just hope he's going to be ok, can recover from it and live a normal life outside of the game.

Well, tbh, we really didn’t lose anyone except Fast really so it was more of a matter of keeping Hank instead of Georgie. Hanks heart would still have come up and we would be scrambling for a backup regardless. Now we’ve moved on and have a good tandem for two years. Unless u buy into that we could have been sitting here and today say “ok now we have money right before Christmas to offer sheet Cirelli” or so,etching of that nature.

Wishing him nothing but the best. Hate to see him have to go out like this, but his health is more important than playing. There is a nice writ up on him in todays Newsday by Andrew Gross.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/andrew-gross/rangers-henrik-lundqvist-1.50097494

The cruel irony, of course, is that his heart ultimately betrayed Henrik Lundqvist.

The future Hall of Fame goalie showed nothing but heart during his 15 seasons as the face of the Rangers’ franchise. In an NHL full of uber-competitive athletes, Lundqvist always seemed to be the uber-est on his team.

Lundqvist, true to his nature, made it sound as if he is working to return to the ice. Still, it would not be shocking if this marks the end of his stellar NHL career.

He goes on to tell a couple of stories about meeting him and talking with him. Its definitely a good read.

Lundqvist is having open heart surgery.

"Last 3 weeks my focus has shifted from training camp and the upcoming season to my health and what I can and can't do," he tweeted. "Scheduled for open heart surgery now - aortic valve replacement, aortic root and ascending aortic replacement to be exact.

https://www.tsn.ca/henrik-lundqvist-to-have-open-heart-surgery-1.1569606

A buddy of mine just had this type of surgery about 3 months ago. He's doing well now. Just started rehab a few weeks ago to start light exercise. He said it was a genetic disorder he had, the average size aortic root for someone our age (early 40s), should measure around 3.5 cm, his was 5.1 cm, 5.5 cm is considered emergency surgery. The base of my friend's aortic root caused an aneurysm, however they caught it at the right time before something drastic happened. My friends cardiologist told him its an easier recovery if you are on the younger side and in good shape. In my friends opinion, he doesn't think Lundqvist will play hockey again.

A buddy of mine just had this type of surgery about 3 months ago. He's doing well now. Just started rehab a few weeks ago to start light exercise. He said it was a genetic disorder he had, the average size aortic root for someone our age (early 40s), should measure around 3.5 cm, his was 5.1 cm, 5.5 cm is considered emergency surgery. The base of my friend's aortic root caused an aneurysm, however they caught it at the right time before something drastic happened. My friends cardiologist told him its an easier recovery if you are on the younger side and in good shape. In my friends opinion, he doesn't think Lundqvist will play hockey again.

Good information. Even not being an expert on this or without any information about this kind of procedure, I was kind of thinking that way anyway. It's a crappy way to end a legendary career. But, health and well-being are the most important.

He?s apparently had this his whole career. I wonder what changed as opposed to one doctor deciding it was more serious than Rangers doctors. Scary to think he might have been misdiagnosed by our doctors this whole time.
Based on what I read, The condition is okay until it isn't. It's kind of disingenuous for Caps doctors to say that this is a condition that existed previous to his signing, that could totally be true and also not have affected his career one bit until this year.

Based on what I read, The condition is okay until it isn't. It's kind of disingenuous for Caps doctors to say that this is a condition that existed previous to his signing, that could totally be true and also not have affected his career one bit until this year.

Yeah, I just find the whole thing strange. He signed, then a physical after discovered further testing was needed on something he’s had for years. I guess we will never know but it seems there’s a slight chance buying him out could have saved his life or potential for medical disaster. Scary stuff. He literally was playing a little under 5 months ago for us.

Yeah, I just find the whole thing strange. He signed, then a physical after discovered further testing was needed on something he’s had for years. I guess we will never know but it seems there’s a slight chance buying him out could have saved his life or potential for medical disaster. Scary stuff. He literally was playing a little under 5 months ago for us.

Interesting angle but in a weird way it's true.

He’s apparently had this his whole career. I wonder what changed as opposed to one doctor deciding it was more serious than Rangers doctors. Scary to think he might have been misdiagnosed by our doctors this whole time.

My friend had his disorder his entire life, he's been going to a cardiologist annually his entire life. He was fine until a few months ago when his aortic root grew in size that was deemed that surgery was needed. Could have been the same with Lundqvist that it wasn't at a point where surgery was needed until recently.