• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lightning Architect Steve Yzerman Interested in Rangers? Top Job

Phil

I?d be fine with some no namer over some of the names out there.

I don?t think Yzerman would take it. Not over anything in Detroit. ...no?

There's no spot open in Detroit, today.

But he does strike me as the type of guy to use New York as leverage.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Rangers ownership conducts its search for a successor to Glen Sather, this hiring of a president gives Garden chairman Jim Dolan and the team the opportunity to expand and modernize the front-office infrastructure and bring the franchise to the cutting edge of the industry.

The Rangers may be limited per the collective-bargaining agreement on payroll, but they are not limited otherwise in how they invest their considerable resources and economic power in areas such as sports science, biometrics and analytics.

1. John Davidson: If JD wants to come home, he is the leading contender. Oversaw the building of two mid-market franchises into perennial playoff contenders, first six years in St. Louis and now seven years in Columbus. Knows New York, knows the Rangers organization, knows how Dolan works. If he is contractually free to leave the Blue Jackets ? who are at the Garden on Friday in desperate need of a victory ? then Davidson is at the top of the list.

4. Kelly McCrimmon: George McPhee?s right-hand man in building the Golden Knights, candidate to become GM in Seattle and Edmonton, longtime GM in the WHL.

5. Brian Leetch: Lack of administrative experience represents a drawback, but if Leetch is committed to investing the time it would take to do the job properly, his overall acumen plus his familiarity with the organization, the current front-office regime and the group behind the bench are assets.

6. Dave Maloney: Checks many of the same boxes as does Leetch.

7. Brandon Pridham: Assistant GM in Toronto after a lengthy career working for the NHL. Brendan Shanahan and Kyle Dubas are hiring bright, progressive people for the Maple Leafs. That represents a significant recommendation added onto the r?sum?.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/05/rangers-alumni-among-potential-successors-to-glen-sather/

I still don?t understand why anyone needs to be hired above Gorton at this point. Yzerman has just as much experience as gorton does more or less I don?t see the reason for bringing him in over a guy who was slated to take over for Slats.

Then again I guess I don?t really understand what the president does anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I still don’t understand why anyone needs to be hired above Gorton at this point. Yzerman has just as much experience as gorton does more or less I don’t see the reason for bringing him in over a guy who was slated to take over for Slats.

Then again I guess I don’t really understand what the president does anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I agree with you. I would also doubt anyone of any name wouldnt want final say on personnel. How that would mix with Gorton doesn’t really make sense. That said maybe the president can be in control of the shit show in Hartford and just all around better development franchise wide. That would be a role that needs attention by a smart hockey person

Yzerman was a player with the Red Wings, and an important part of Lightning management, two well-run organizations, and someone that could bring fresh ideas to New York, if given decision-making ability.

Most of the names I have seen associated with

https://nypost.com/2019/04/05/ranger...o-glen-sather/

have some former association with the Rangers, so one of the advantages of their candidacy is familiarity with the Rangers organization and those involved.

I'd rather bring in an outsider like Yzerman. An ex-Ranger would likely be more concerned with doing things the 'Ranger way', preserving tradition, etc. Bring fresh blood into the org to get a genuinely new perspective

The less our front office looks like the Oilers' front office (ie alumni) the better. Leetch? Seriously? What has this guy been doing since he retired? Messier? Can we stop fucking living in 94 already?

If the Rangers want to make the safe choice they'll pick JD. If they want to make a bold choice, they'll pick Yzerman.

To me Yzerman signals a bold return to relevance for the Rangers. The teardown is done, the build up will begin this summer. Putting someone like Yzerman in the office to help oversee the next step of the process means that things are about to get real.

My fear is that Yzerman won't want to deal with Dolan after a year or so. JD is much more seasoned in how MSG works.

That's entirely possible. Maybe Sather sticking around in some capacity means the heat will be off the new Prez? I really don't know. But I assume that would be a consideration for Yzerman for sure.

I’m skeptical that Yzerman winds up in NY. I think a Detroit job is his this summer. His family is there and he didn’t move them when he took the Tampa job, so it’s hard to see him moving them now.

Also has no ties to Rangers organization

Plus there’s 3 other factors that are at least somewhat overlooked

1) Obviously Tampa has been successful and he’s built a great team. But they have yet to win a Cup. They’re great this season and are EVERYONE’S favorite to win it this year. But they haven’t.

2) He’s not in Tampa in any major capacity anymore. That’s not an accident and it wasn’t just so he could spend more time with his family

3) This is the big one. It doesn’t get spoken about much, but he is notoriously difficult to work with/for. And he is not a well liked guy around the league, dating back to his playing days. Remember Scotty Bowman nearly traded him. To Ottawa. When they were a year removed from expansion. After he’d been the Wings franchise player and Captain. For a decade. Because he was a difficult pr**k. That nobody liked.

While I definitely think he knows what he is doing, I don’t think that he’s as much of a slam dunk as it seems

That's my vibe, as well. He was lowly regarded when he came in to the league, not well liked at all. His story changed when they won a cup, some myth that he'd always been a Messier like leader.

Very true.

I’m a native NY’er, but I’ve lived in Michigan for years now. For what it is worth, I work with a guy who played very briefly (about 50 games over 3 seasons in late 80’s early 90’s) but played more than 10 years in the minors. He’s 50 now and still plays 4-5 times a year in charity events and such with other former pros. To a man, none of them like Yzerman. And he’s said that to me more than once, unsolicited.

It doesn’t get brought up for posterity or publicly, because of how great a career he had, and no one wants to look bad running down a legend. But around the league and in hockey circles, he’s very unpopular and disliked.

Scotty Bowman

"You hated him for 364 days a year. And on the 365th day you collected your Stanley Cup rings."

Ex-Montreal Canadien Steve Shutt, who won five Cups under Bowman

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1P2-33075883/players-hate-bowman-but-love-his-results

The argument against Mike Keenan and Scotty Bowman approach is players are different now... but I could care less about likability. A jerk wears out his welcome... but with each Stanley Cup, wins additional years within a organization