• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Igor Shesterkin

Blue Heaven

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonas "The Monster" Gustavsson was a sure thing too.

Let the dude get here before we just anoint him the heir apparent.

But that's not really the point here. He may be great, he may not live up to expectations. We don't know that yet.

What we do know is that the Rangers have a decision to make this off season. People thinking they could just send this guy to Hartford for a season are living in la-la land imo. He's not going to play in Hartford, because why the fuck should he when he could just re sign with SKA. Folks thinking the AHL is somehow "better" than living and playing in St Petersburg are deluding themselves to be honest.

So unless Hank u-turns, which is incredibly unlikely at this point, a decision will have to be made on Georgiev. It's either send him to Hartford or trade him. It kind of sucks because of how good he's been, but it is what it is.

That's unless they're willing to take their chances with Shestyorkin signing a new deal in Russia of course.

But that's not really the point here. He may be great, he may not live up to expectations. We don't know that yet.

What we do know is that the Rangers have a decision to make this off season. People thinking they could just send this guy to Hartford for a season are living in la-la land imo. He's not going to play in Hartford, because why the fuck should he when he could just re sign with SKA. Folks thinking the AHL is somehow "better" than living and playing in St Petersburg are deluding themselves to be honest.

So unless Hank u-turns, which is incredibly unlikely at this point, a decision will have to be made on Georgiev. It's either send him to Hartford or trade him. It kind of sucks because of how good he's been, but it is what it is.

That's unless they're willing to take their chances with Shestyorkin signing a new deal in Russia of course.

Hank looks broken down from all of the losing to me. Not necessarily physically, but mentally. I think there is a chance he reconsiders, especially if the Rangers were to not sign anyone in UFA and trade a guy like Kreider. The team would be so bad next year.

I would expect this coming camp, like the last, to be highly competitive. Lot o'kids with dreams of becoming the next Brett Howden and making the team out of camp. If they grant Igor's condition that he not have to compete and must play in the NHL, potentially jumping the line on Georgiev, wouldn't that somewhat undercut the meritocracy (or maybe effortocracy) that Quinn seems to be trying to build? I wouldn't want to see him start out with prima donna stamped on his forehead. Maybe he is just good enough for everyone to look past it.

I can't see the Rangers goalie situation as a meritocracy. Roster composition is affected by development path of young players, and which players are eligible to be in the minors.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/who-can-play-where-and-why/c-889461

If you look at Georgiev's game log (last 20 games), he has 6 games with more that 3 goals (my rationale for checking - if you give up 3 goals or less, your team has a better chance to win).

https://www.nhl.com/player/alexandar-georgiev-8480382?stats=gamelogs-r-nhl&season=20182019

Lundqvist's game log (last 20 games), has 6 games with more that 3 goals

https://www.nhl.com/player/henrik-lundqvist-8468685?stats=gamelogs-r-nhl&season=20182019

But given Lundqvist's history with the Rangers and his contract, if he's on the roster, he's one of your two goalies the next two years.

For me, Georgiev has shown enough this year that he's earned a right to play 20-40 NHL games next year, depending on the relative performance of Lundqvist and Georgiev as the season goes on. When Georgiev is on, he's been spectacular. But he does have those 6 clunkers in his last 20 games, which are a combination of poor play by G, poor play by the skaters in front of him, and a need for more NHL starts to develop consistency - and the eye of the beholder would determine what percentage you would give to each of these reasons for the clunkers.

I don't think that when Shesterkin appears on the Rangers roster is going to be determined by when he has 'earned' the right to be there. I think the front office is going to gauge when it is expedient based on his unique situation, how the Rangers are performing in the standings, and contract considerations for all goalies involved.

I don't know how the Rangers can make a deal with ANYONE that says "you have a guaranteed roster spot regardless of play" let alone a player that's never played an NHL game. That kid is 23. He's also not a full time starter in the KHL. What the hell has he proven?

If I'm GM I sign him, have 3 goalies in camp, and let the chips fall where they may -- and probably do a three-way goalie rotation, using the entire season to both see what you have and to showcase.

In a dream world, I'd look to put Hank on Robidas island if he's not willing to accept a trade. I think the Rangers could live and do well with a Russian goalie tandem. That, however, will never happen.

I don't know how the Rangers can make a deal with ANYONE that says "you have a guaranteed roster spot regardless of play" let alone a player that's never played an NHL game. That kid is 23. He's also not a full time starter in the KHL. What the hell has he proven?

If I'm GM I sign him, have 3 goalies in camp, and let the chips fall where they may -- and probably do a three-way goalie rotation, using the entire season to both see what you have and to showcase.

In a dream world, I'd look to put Hank on Robidas island if he's not willing to accept a trade. I think the Rangers could live and do well with a Russian goalie tandem. That, however, will never happen.

Right. I agree in principle.

But in reality, Shestyorkin isn't signing a deal that doesn't include a get out clause in case he ends up in the AHL.

He's played north of 120 KHL games as a 23 year old goaltender and is seen as one of, if not the best goaltending prospects in the world. He's not going to leave a good KHL contract on the table to play in the AHL.

SKA hasn't had a full time starter since Shesty cam on the scene 3 years ago. They tend not to play young players that are going to leave for the NHL. They buried Rykov in the minors before trading him ti Sochi where he played his way on to the top pair as they moved into a playoff spot.

Right. I agree in principle.

But in reality, Shestyorkin isn't signing a deal that doesn't include a get out clause in case he ends up in the AHL.

He's played north of 120 KHL games as a 23 year old goaltender and is seen as one of, if not the best goaltending prospects in the world. He's not going to leave a good KHL contract on the table to play in the AHL.

Any reason why we don't let him play another year in the KHL... I'm not familiar with his contract.

Just demote Georgiev after Shesty gets a month in Hartford, or demote him straight away. You don't have to move on from him right now, there's lots of time and potential scenarios to play out.

I'm just about to the point of believing that next year will be Hank's last as a Ranger.

Just demote Georgiev after Shesty gets a month in Hartford, or demote him straight away. You don't have to move on from him right now, there's lots of time and potential scenarios to play out.

I'm just about to the point of believing that next year will be Hank's last as a Ranger.

It's this basically. Or you could obviously shop him around to see what's out there. But there's no rush with him, it only seems a bit unfair to ship him to Hartford after what he's done. But it is what it is.

I have a similar feeling on Hank as well. If the team is poor and his play continues to suffer I could see him pulling the plug. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will play one season too many.

It's this basically. Or you could obviously shop him around to see what's out there. But there's no rush with him, it only seems a bit unfair to ship him to Hartford after what he's done. But it is what it is.

I have a similar feeling on Hank as well. If the team is poor and his play continues to suffer I could see him pulling the plug. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will play one season too many.

Yes. I think it would be out and out misery for Hank to spend 2 years as the 3rd best goalie on the team making >4x what the others are paid. I just don't think he's built that way.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

$5.5 million reasons why Hank won't retire...better chance of him asking for a trade than him calling it quits.....and I doubt he even considers a trade.

I get it. But he wouldn't be the first one to walk away from money if he couldn't do the job. (Particularly after having completely set up his family for life. It's not like the days of them making $35k and having to hang on for dear life.) There's also a whole lot of middle ground he could cut with mgt. If he's at this level of melancholy soul searching now, it's not going to be pretty a year from now. Hank has always reached his peak performance level with A LOT of steady work and I don't think he gets that here anymore, whoever the backup is. I might be wrong, but I think he has more pride than to play on when he can't meet his own standards or just hang around to collect a check he isn't earning, especially if it is to the overall detriment of the team. I also think he makes it one more year.

How is Georgiev all of a sudden untouchable? He's sporting a .914 sv% through 41 career games. Talbot had a .931 sv% through 57 games as a Ranger. Tablot had much better AHL numbers as well.

Shestyorkin should absolutely be the priority.

In 2015 Shesty was the Russian goalie at the WJC. 5 games 1.98 GAA .938 SV%. The following year it was Georgiev. 5 games 2.52 GAA .898 SV%.

In 2016 and 2017 Shesty was Russia's backup at the Worlds. In 2018 Shesty played 4 games at the Worlds with a 1.46 GAA and .942 SV%. Russia has not called Georgiev back.

How is Georgiev all of a sudden untouchable? He's sporting a .914 sv% through 41 career games. Talbot had a .931 sv% through 57 games as a Ranger. Tablot had much better AHL numbers as well.

In 2015 Shesty was the Russian goalie at the WJC. 5 games 1.98 GAA .938 SV%. The following year it was Georgiev. 5 games 2.52 GAA .898 SV%.

In 2016 and 2017 Shesty was Russia's backup at the Worlds. In 2018 Shesty played 4 games at the Worlds with a 1.46 GAA and .942 SV%. Russia has not called Georgiev back.

Look at the teams Talbot played on vs the teams Georgie has played on. I'm not saying he's untouchable, I'm just saying the numbers aren't apples to apples.

I get it. But he wouldn't be the first one to walk away from money if he couldn't do the job. (Particularly after having completely set up his family for life. It's not like the days of them making $35k and having to hang on for dear life.) There's also a whole lot of middle ground he could cut with mgt. If he's at this level of melancholy soul searching now, it's not going to be pretty a year from now. Hank has always reached his peak performance level with A LOT of steady work and I don't think he gets that here anymore, whoever the backup is. I might be wrong, but I think he has more pride than to play on when he can't meet his own standards or just hang around to collect a check he isn't earning, especially if it is to the overall detriment of the team. I also think he makes it one more year.

Name a player in recent years that retired with a contract of $5+ million still left on it? It very rarely happens in sports today. Also in the Rangers minds it could be we got Hank here either though he's pretty much immovable, who better to have as a mentor for the future for these goalies. They'll split time, one will be in Hartford the other will be here playing 50/50 until something happens. One of the goalies has to be traded at some point next season b/c of the expansion draft unless their is a side deal for a team not to claim Georgiev or Sheshtyorkin

Shestyorkin hasn't played any NHL games, so we have no data. We have NHL data on Lundqvist and Georgiev.

I need at least 30 NHL games on a goalie before I can have an educated opinion about how he will do in the NHL. Sure it's exciting and provocative to speculate. But even players with the "can't miss" tag can fail spectacularly. Georgiev is the only goalie currently with the Rangers that we have NHL data for that could be with the franchise the next time we are a Stanley Cup playoff threat (3+ years down the road). If you think this team can compete for a Stanley Cup in the next year or two, having Lundqvist at his best should be a priority.

Name a player in recent years that retired with a contract of $5+ million still left on it? It very rarely happens in sports today. Also in the Rangers minds it could be we got Hank here either though he's pretty much immovable, who better to have as a mentor for the future for these goalies. They'll split time, one will be in Hartford the other will be here playing 50/50 until something happens. One of the goalies has to be traded at some point next season b/c of the expansion draft unless their is a side deal for a team not to claim Georgiev or Sheshtyorkin
As I said, there are any number of ways to cut it so Hank is not actually out $5m. The Rangers might pay that just to free up the cap space early. Do you get the sense that all Hank cares about is the money? He seems deeply disappointed in his own play and downright despondent at the state of the team.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk