• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

I'm talking to a guy I work with who's on the Prince Albert Minto's executive (Puck you should know the Minto's) This is probably the premier AAA program in Canada, especially being from a small rural city..

$4500 for registration plus billet fee's. Good Fucking God.

I'm talking to a guy I work with who's on the Prince Albert Minto's executive (Puck you should know the Minto's) This is probably the premier AAA program in Canada, especially being from a small rural city..

$4500 for registration plus billet fee's. Good Fucking God.

Our season is 5k. It comes out to about .42 per minute of ice time.

One thing to note, our comp prices jump at Bantam level. 4-5k

We are fielding a AAA team at the bantam level (first time in years)...

And I'm guessing that will be closer to 15k per season.

Gets expensive at Bantams, (we start flying out of Alaska)

Our season is 5k. It comes out to about .42 per minute of ice time.

Are you back with the Avalanche this season? I know it's early but I really think we made a good move to the Rockets and also a good move keeping him on the tier 2 Squirt AA team. We had an early tourney at Amerihealth this past weekend and the team looks pretty solid.

Are you back with the Avalanche this season? I know it's early but I really think we made a good move to the Rockets and also a good move keeping him on the tier 2 Squirt AA team. We had an early tourney at Amerihealth this past weekend and the team looks pretty solid.

Yes, back with Avs. Our team imploded. Not one kid from last year's roster is on the team this year. Not 1.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't let articles like this deter you from having your kid(s) play any sport. You have to just let them do it, and not push them. Let them decide how far they want to take it. Chances are that they won't be a professional, but any ounce of education they get from it, along with a love for a game(s), and life time friendships make it all worth it. I hate to be a dick here, but usually the articles, stories, and facebook posts you read about these types of things usually means it's an upset parent (probably a mom) whose kid wasn't good enough to make the team. It's just like anything else in life, if you want it, you have to work for it, and understanding that at an early age is invaluable. If the kid isn't good enough, or gets cut, it's not the end of the world. The best players at age 8 aren't the best at age 10, the best at 10 aren't the best at 12. Once kids puberty they begin to separate themselves. Then you'll see another separation at around 16. After HS, it's just a matter of how bad they want it.

It is nuts, totally nuts. I see it every Saturday morning. Totally insane, delusional parents convinced that if their kid makes the travel team they'll be able to break in to the best social circles in town. And the kids are all 6 years old! They should all be examined by professionals.

Don't let articles like this deter you from having your kid(s) play any sport. You have to just let them do it, and not push them. Let them decide how far they want to take it. Chances are that they won't be a professional, but any ounce of education they get from it, along with a love for a game(s), and life time friendships make it all worth it. I hate to be a dick here, but usually the articles, stories, and facebook posts you read about these types of things usually means it's an upset parent (probably a mom) whose kid wasn't good enough to make the team. It's just like anything else in life, if you want it, you have to work for it, and understanding that at an early age is invaluable. If the kid isn't good enough, or gets cut, it's not the end of the world. The best players at age 8 aren't the best at age 10, the best at 10 aren't the best at 12. Once kids puberty they begin to separate themselves. Then you'll see another separation at around 16. After HS, it's just a matter of how bad they want it.

I'm not even touching the upset mom comment, because that's ridiculous.

Almost everything in that article is what I've heard countless parents talk about, yourself included.

Regardless, my kid can play rec hockey. I'm not pumping thousands into clinics and training. That is fine for people who have that cash flow. We don't. And at the end of the day, the best players aren't even making the team? It's a political farce and we both know that. We've talked about it.

I'm not even touching the upset mom comment, because that's ridiculous.

Almost everything in that article is what I've heard countless parents talk about, yourself included.

Regardless, my kid can play rec hockey. I'm not pumping thousands into clinics and training. That is fine for people who have that cash flow. We don't. And at the end of the day, the best players aren't even making the team? It's a political farce and we both know that. We've talked about it.

But there's nothing wrong with playing competetive sports. You said in your post "Good read about why Ryan likely won't play competitive sports." There's no reason not to give him the opportunity if he wants it. No, the best kids don't always make the team. Chalk it up as a life lesson. It'll make the both of you better people, because you're not of that mentality like the stuck up fools. When it happened to Michael a few years ago, at the time it sucked, big time. But he ended up on a better team AND shit kicking the team that cut him 4 times in 2 years. Take it with a grain of salt. I've learned it means nothing as they get older.

But there's nothing wrong with playing competetive sports. You said in your post "Good read about why Ryan likely won't play competitive sports." There's no reason not to give him the opportunity if he wants it. No, the best kids don't always make the team. Chalk it up as a life lesson. It'll make the both of you better people, because you're not of that mentality like the stuck up fools. When it happened to Michael a few years ago, at the time it sucked, big time. But he ended up on a better team AND shit kicking the team that cut him 4 times in 2 years. Take it with a grain of salt. I've learned it means nothing as they get older.

I hear you, I just don't think those life lessons have to be learned so young, in something that's supposed to be fun.

I also don't need him in another environment where there's financial competition. It's bad enough with clothing and phones in school. I don't need him hearing that he's poor because we can't afford the top of the line stick or skates or weekly clinic everyone else is doing.

A lot of shit I hear from you and my neighbors has put me off.

The other day the guy across the street was telling me parents start their kids in school a year late hoping they'll be bigger than everyone else going out for football, rugby and LAX.

Insanity.

Also, the upset moms comment is very accurate. I'm not saying ALL moms get upset, or get that involved. I'm saying the ones that do make it difficult. Life isn't fair, deal with it and move on. That's where the "participation trophy" stuff came from. I see it every day. I'm not trying to be sexist, because there are plenty of asshole dads, but the moms are clearly more vocal.

Also, the upset moms comment is very accurate. I'm not saying ALL moms get upset, or get that involved. I'm saying the ones that do make it difficult. Life isn't fair, deal with it and move on. That's where the "participation trophy" stuff came from. I see it every day. I'm not trying to be sexist, because there are plenty of asshole dads, but the moms are clearly more vocal.

You can't dismiss something you know is accurate because you don't respect the source.

I don't agree with participation trophies anymore than having a kid learn C. R. E. A. M. at 5 years old.