• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Versatile Veteran Strome Looking to be Part of the Rangers? Core

Phil

He knows the Blueshirts have a ton of young talent in the system, most of it on display during training camp over the past few weeks. He knows a lot of them are natural centers, just like him. And he also knows he is entering the final year of his two-year, $6.2 million deal that will make him an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

A lot can happen between now and the trade deadline. This, however, is a franchise that has sold off veteran assets for two years straight, and despite looking like they are on the upswing of this rebuilding process, Strome’s future in that Rangers picture is murky.

“A lot of guys talking about the young guys fighting for spots, but I want to prove that I can be a part of the core here,” Strome told The Post after Friday’s practice, as the club got ready for the preseason finale on Saturday night in Bridgeport, Conn., against the Islanders. “I think that’s a challenge I have to take with myself and if I take that challenge individually, that’s going to help the team get better. So that’s the inner competitiveness.”

One thing that is helping Strome is his versatility to go from wing to center. Coach David Quinn wanted to make sure that early on, he got his three young pivots to play in the middle — so Filip Chytil got first crack at second-line center, while Lias Andersson and Brett Howden battled for third- and fourth-line spots.

But as the games and practices add up, so do the evaluations. None of the three young centers has grabbed hold of a top-six role, and Chytil has been playing and practicing as a wing — where he played for most of his rookie season last year. So there was Strome, back in the middle for Tuesday’s exhibition match against the Islanders and again for Thursday’s game against the Flyers.

“I’m not naive to the situation. I think we have a lot of young guys that are centermen,” Strome said. “I think my job is to come in here — I’m a good guy, work hard. If those [young] guys are playing good, I’m more than happy to play the wing. If those guys need a little relief, then I can go play center and take care of things. I think just being versatile is part of the role.”

Quinn has lauded Strome’s ability to play both spots, which makes him a valuable asset on a team with so many young question marks.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/28/versatile-veteran-looking-to-be-part-of-the-rangers-core/

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After last seasons finish Strome job as second center was his to lose or a young guns to beat him out. I guess we see what Quinn thinks about it on Thursday night. I think he’s number two, Howden three, Andersson four, Chytil in Hartford getting some wake up love, to start. Andersson and Howden could obviously flip flop, but Andersson, McKegg, and Lemieux could be a hell of a energy injector fourth line to start. The good news is Quinn has some really tough choices to make just to pick the team, followed by a lot of roster flexibility to make up a lineup, where I suspect the third and fourth lines will be a bit of a moving target to start the season.
  • Like 1

Strome was a high pick, put up 50 or so his second year in the league. Then not surprisingly in the Garth Snow gong show east, it went to hell on him. Where does he end up, gong show west in Edmonton. New York was some of his most stable NHL environment since he got to the NHL. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a 60 plus point season out of him. I like the Brassard comparison he came from a shitshow in Columbus and took off. Hopefully Strome who the Rangers need to, has a career season.

I don't mind Strome at all.

I know the analytics/Rangers blog crew hate him, but to me he's just fine. I doubt he's the solution at 2c in the long term, but I think he'll do well enough. He'll be playing with 2 dynamic wingers and I think he's a good complimentary piece on that 2nd line.

I know the analytics/Rangers blog crew hate him, but to me he's just fine. I doubt he's the solution at 2c in the long term, but I think he'll do well enough. He'll be playing with 2 dynamic wingers and I think he's a good complimentary piece on that 2nd line.

I mean I hope he gets usurped and plays a 3rd/4th Line role because it?s where he is in the rankings. But yea for now I?m happy with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If he can pull it all together and remain consistent I can see him here for a few more years.

However, I do believe that he may be better suited for the 3C with less pressure.

I like Strome and I home he shows me wrong and he deserves to be the 2C.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

Really? I thought Strome was our worst forward on the ice last night.

He was 69% last night on face-offs, and took the big draw at the end on the PK, and was able to clear the puck as he changed. He made a lot of good defensive plays, solid on face-offs and set up some nice plays as well. He was far from the worst forward on the ice. I would say Names was the worst.