• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Measuring Success for an Artemi Panarin-less New York Rangers

Phil

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to see where the Rangers may be heading in 2-3 years? Look at Winnipeg and Toronto. Just when they reach the point of becoming contenders, they have to start shedding good players with little or no return. We're more destined to be in that position if we sign Panarin. Let him enjoy the glamour of traffic on the Interborough Parkway.

Both teams went out and got an expensive guy to help the kids grow.

And if he signs some ridiculous deal to play for the less watch how quickly this board goes from a handful saying to stay away from this deal to an army.

I think the majority will think, “oh ok, just don’t give out shit contracts to anyone else.”’

I think the majority will think, “oh ok, just don’t give out shit contracts to anyone else.”’

We will see. My bet is that most will say they are glad the rangers didn’t give him what he got from the isles. They will be fine if the rangers sign him at $11.5-12m but if the isles give him 12-12.5 that will way way to much. All of a sudden the ones who could careless about the cap will come up with the argument that the extra 500k in cap hit will be way to much. You watch. It will be as dishonest as the whole argument about the need to rebuild was. In January I was a lunatic in February I was stating the obvious.

This team will suck pretty bad without Panarin. Adding one D man and 2 rookie wingers doesn't make this team all that much better than last season. A tiny bit yeah, and of course they add hope, but they lack a legit scorer. I think having that really takes pressure off of the kids.

If they don't sign him, it's not a good thing at all.

We will see. My bet is that most will say they are glad the rangers didn’t give him what he got from the isles. They will be fine if the rangers sign him at $11.5-12m but if the isles give him 12-12.5 that will way way to much. All of a sudden the ones who could careless about the cap will come up with the argument that the extra 500k in cap hit will be way to much. You watch. It will be as dishonest as the whole argument about the need to rebuild was. In January I was a lunatic in February I was stating the obvious.

Rebuild in February? A team worse than the rangers in February won the cup. That doesn’t make you smart. lol

This team will suck pretty bad without Panarin. Adding one D man and 2 rookie wingers doesn't make this team all that much better than last season. A tiny bit yeah, and of course they add hope, but they lack a legit scorer. I think having that really takes pressure off of the kids.

Probably worse without Zuc, Hayes, and maybe Kreider. But it would be a lot of fun to see the young guys develop.

Playoffs this year is a long shot even with Panarin.

Rebuild in February? A team worse than the rangers in February won the cup. That doesn’t make you smart. lol

Made me right though didn’t it. You argued against the rebuild. A letter appeared and you flipped. My opinion then was as popular as it is about panarin now. Once the rangers made the decision to rebuild all of a sudden everyone seemed to forget how stupid my argument was because they were all in. Same will happen here.

No matter what they do winning next year is not the priority to this team. Development is the only thing that matters. Yes adding panarin would help. But not at 7 years $12m.

Made me right though didn’t it. You argued against the rebuild. A letter appeared and you flipped. My opinion then was as popular as it is about panarin now. Once the rangers made the decision to rebuild all of a sudden everyone seemed to forget how stupid my argument was because they were all in. Same will happen here.

Flip? I didn’t flip on shit, you flipper

I really don't see anyone that thinks not getting Panarin would be a bad route to take. I think most here are good either way, with some having a preference for the Panarin route. You're the only poster I've seen here who is egotistical about your opinion on it.

Curveball today is the Knicks getting embarrassed by the Nets in free agency may cause Dolan to demand Gorton and Davidson overpay Panarin to make a splash. One thing NYR can do that the Panthers and Isles cannot is frontload their offer.

Personally even with Lamoriello and Trotz there at a loss why anyone would sign up for the mess the Isles are as a business proposition.

Amid reports that Panarin is likely to sign on Monday with the New York Islanders, the Blue Jackets have put a massive offer on the table with agent Paul Theofanous, believed to be eight years and at least $96 million, an average annual value of $12 million per season.

The deal could be as high as $100 million, or $12.5 million per season.

The Blue Jackets are the only team that can offer Panarin an eight-year contract, but the window on that is closing quickly. It would have to be agreed upon and signed by midnight Sunday.

https://theathletic.com/1056150/2019/06/30/blue-jackets-make-a-massive-late-night-offer-in-an-attempt-to-keep-artemi-panarin/

This team will suck pretty bad without Panarin. Adding one D man and 2 rookie wingers doesn't make this team all that much better than last season. A tiny bit yeah, and of course they add hope, but they lack a legit scorer.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the idea that the Rangers now looks like a playoff team has come from and I'm certainly not convinced Hayes and Zuccarello out, Kakko and Kravtsov in makes them better in the short term. I've said before people should pump the brakes a little bit on their expectations for Kakko and Kravtsov this season. I for one would be very surprised if their production offsets the loss of Hayes and Zuccarello in their first year. The same is true for Fox. Trouba is the only one you can reasonably expect to come in and go from day one.

The moves made this offseason more or less ensures the Rangers will have a good team in the future, but it probably won't manifest itself in year 1. It'll be fun to watch though.

IMO, Panarin will be a Ranger by EOD. He turned down almost $100m from CBJ. It sounds like Florida is out. Rangers have already said they will only go so high. Islanders probably have only offer on table. We are at the stage where Panarin is trying to get the little extra from Rangers. The biggest domino should have fallen first and Panarin said he wanted to be a Ranger and already turned down huge money. It is not just about the cash.

Not wishful thinking since I am truly 50/50 regarding whether I think it is the right move.

I'm honestly at the point with Panarin that if he's really going to get McDavid level money, I'd almost rather turn around, poach Aho, extend Kreider, and still have some left.

Cant see Carolina not matching.

@Bugg - your concern about Dolan crossed my mind too...he is one whacky dude. His ego could push Rangers beyond reason.

Panarin aside, don?t all teams risk taking a ?wait and develop? approach? By the time a nucleus of young guys gel, their contracts are due to be stepped-up. And the cycle of shedding players for Cap space begins anew.

It?s so difficult to piece together the right assortment if young guys, experienced (proven) talent and mentors in a locker room that has that all elusive chemistry thing. The winning formula is so damn hard to discover!

Cant see Carolina not matching.

Let's see what they do today. They're coming in very low on Aho, and I'm frankly fine with starting shit w/a divisional rival.

Fine aiming at Timo Meier or any of the other vulnerable RFAs; just....not really in love with the amount of cap we'd commit at 12M+ to Panarin. That's two players, one of whom (assuming we don't mind parting with a few picks) is of at least reasonably close caliber. Aho's the most attractive to me because he's done it more than once, and he's adjusted from SM-Liiga to NHL play.

The possibility of a Kakko-Aho-Kravtsov thing is....alluring to say the least.