• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [D] K'Andre Miller in 1st Rd. (22nd) Pick

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
If he keeps this up, it becomes more conceivable that he could be one and done with the Badgers.

More likely he gives it 2 years in college, which could be for the best. Then he comes to camp to win a spot.

Who knows, but seems like if he leaves after 1, he'll need a year in Hartford anyway. He may need a little time in the A regardless.

More likely he gives it 2 years in college, which could be for the best. Then he comes to camp to win a spot.

Who knows, but seems like if he leaves after 1, he'll need a year in Hartford anyway. He may need a little time in the A regardless.

You're probably right. When I thought more about what he would want to accomplish there, a few variables popped out.

He seems to have two sophomore D-men on the depth chart ahead of him, neither of them with his draft pedigree or likely upside. If he can somehow move quickly into the 1D slot and play for a good part of the season, that's a box to check. If he is somehow stuck behind them, it changes the timeline and perhaps even the desirability of being in Madison, 'cause he ain't there for a degree.

Wisconsin is currently ranked #14. If they continue to move up the pop charts and have an actual shot at a national championship this year or next, that is experience worth sticking around for, as is, in theory, a second season of Granato tutelage if the Rangers like his progress.

The short NCAA season has already been mentioned, but I imagine Miller is already penciled in for at least a couple of amateur or international tournaments. A key metric would be how many actual games he plays this year. A long Frozen Four would certainly help.

But I think the original point has some lingering merit, which is that if he absolutely destroys the Big 10 and NCAA this time around, some of those accomplishments will become redundant quickly. Reaching the NHL and a quicker payday are always forces that drive talented young players.

But again, Giac, you're probably right. Sure is a nice thing to even be able to speculate about.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

You're probably right. When I thought more about what he would want to accomplish there, a few variables popped out.

He seems to have two sophomore D-men on the depth chart ahead of him, neither of them with his draft pedigree or likely upside. If he can somehow move quickly into the 1D slot and play for a good part of the season, that's a box to check. If he is somehow stuck behind them, it changes the timeline and perhaps even the desirability of being in Madison, 'cause he ain't there for a degree.

Wisconsin is currently ranked #14. If they continue to move up the pop charts and have an actual shot at a national championship this year or next, that is experience worth sticking around for, as is, in theory, a second season of Granato tutelage if the Rangers like his progress.

The short NCAA season has already been mentioned, but I imagine Miller is already penciled in for at least a couple of amateur or international tournaments. A key metric would be how many actual games he plays this year. A long Frozen Four would certainly help.

But I think the original point has some lingering merit, which is that if he absolutely destroys the Big 10 and NCAA this time around, some of those accomplishments will become redundant quickly. Reaching the NHL and a quicker payday are always forces that drive talented young players.

But again, Giac, you're probably right. Sure is a nice thing to even be able to speculate about.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Is he WJC eligible this year?

I don’t like rushing players, particularly defensemen who take longer to develop. And a guy like him who started playing late in life (I believe that was his story, correct?) should play at the lower level as much as possible before coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think he used to be a forward, just played D the last 2-3 years IIRC. But your point stands, we shouldn't rush this guy - he has a lot to learn.

• 1 month later...
I've watched him some. He was supposed to be a work in progress from a hockey IQ, standpoint, but he's shown he just gets it. He had the skills but the rest was a question. It doesn't appear to be much of a question anymore. What he's done has been pretty incredible. He's probably had the most impressive performance from anyone in his draft class and now he will likely go be the #1 Dman for the US at WJC in a month. Realistically he could turn pro next season, not sure if that's needed though.

No need to rush this kid imo. He's in a good place, learning from an excellent coaching staff who I'm led to believe have been churning out high end NHL D-men for a while.

One of the things that has my real giddy about him is the fact Pronman and other scouts said the one question they had about him was whether he could contribute offense. It appears he not only can, but is in fact dominating points wise. I think I need a lie down.

Absolutely my #1 pick for 26 and a lot of fans, experts and scouts think the same. We woulda screw up 48 anyway :)

His weaknesses are that he is still learning the position, having been a converted forward. That is not a weakness of his doing and he is growing into the position nicely. After that I can't find a serious weakness, everything is improvable.

Burns/Buff is a good comparison if he reaches his potential. Good driven kids with strong work ethic are the best bets to achieve their potential. Go US

To pile on, I've only seen Wisconsin once this season, but Miller was the perfect pick. We critique the Ranger's drafting, but they made sure they could select this well-regarded prospect with the upside to be an impact player.

However, offense is not an issue. [Gravesy check-out the guys at hockeyprospects.com to supplement Pronman.] Simply, the only big question was him becoming a legitimate defensemen, after playing forward for much of his childhood. That is the main reason not to rush him. Last year, he demonstrated he could. Now he is beginning to thrive under the staff in Wisconsin. I'm guessing he plays at least two years there, then if he and the Rangers think he can make the team, he'll make the jump.

Guess if he continues his dominance thru the season, plus a strong showing at the WJC, he could decide to leave after one year. I'm just not going to expect it, but content to know the team and player will certainly be talking after the year is over. They will talk and make the appropriate decision. If Miller wants to go back to Madison, then it is probably best.