• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Seravelli: Kevin Hayes Told Another Player He'd Only Go to Philly if They Overpaid

Phil

When TSN?s Senior Hockey Reporter and former Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravalli joined Anthony San Filippo and I on Tuesday night?s Snow The Goalie, we expected he?d provide some of the hard-hitting insight that made him a favorite in the local market and a target of Canada?s top sports network. We didn?t expect the bombshell he dropped on us regarding the Flyers? top offseason signing, center Kevin Hayes.

Per Seravalli, Hayes had no intention of signing with the Flyers, who had traded for his rights, unless they opted to overpay him:

?I don?t understand why (the Flyers) felt the need to spend a pick in order to go out and (trade for Kevin Hayes? rights). I don?t think there was a team that would?ve come close to the Flyers? number, because if there were, Kevin Hayes would?ve just waited until July 1, and I have that on good authority. I was with a current NHL player the night before Game 7 in Boston who ? five minutes before seeing me ? ran into Kevin Hayes outside of somewhere in downtown Boston, which is obviously his hometown. He goes, ?Oh yeah. I just ran into Kevin Hayes.? He said Kevin Hayes told him the only way he?s going to the Flyers is if the Flyers overpaid to get him. And how much did they overpay by? It?s hard to answer that specifically, but I would say at least $600k-700k a year times seven years.?

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2019/08/seravalli-kevin-hayes-told-another-player-hed-only-go-to-the-flyers-if-they-overpaid.html

I see nothing controversial here. Hayes was only prepared to sign with Philly before the UFA period if he was overpaid. That doesn't mean he was adverse to going to Philly. If Philly did not offer to overpay him before July 1, he would have waited until after that date to sign with the highest bidder, which might still have been Philly. Perhaps he would have given the Rangers a small discount, but given the priority of Trouba and Panarin, that simply could not have happened.

I see nothing controversial here. Hayes was only prepared to sign with Philly before the UFA period if he was overpaid. That doesn't mean he was adverse to going to Philly. If Philly did not offer to overpay him before July 1, he would have waited until after that date to sign with the highest bidder, which might still have been Philly. Perhaps he would have given the Rangers a small discount, but given the priority of Trouba and Panarin, that simply could not have happened.

Same. And the article said it was a difference of like $600k. Teams overpay by that much to get players all the time. If not for the context the convo would be

"Philly overpaid a bit, but they got their guy" and nobody would bat an eye.