• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flames Fire Bill Peters After Allegations of Racial Slurs

Phil

This is devil's advocate, and not that it condones the use of the word...

But why is everyone so sure the context of the usage Peters calling rap music "n***** shit"?

What if Aliu was playing music with excessive use of the word n***** and Peters said: "I don't want to heard that 'n****' shit anymore"?

Would that change anything, if he was just tired of hearing that word...As the next quote possibly suggests? Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this 'n-----' s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

Where you put the quotation marks here probably matters.

Exactly how i understood it. I came across some of the hip hop music being listened to nowadays. Its no Tupac or Public Enemy. Its not even 2Live crew. I can see how Peters, a man of a different generation could get irritated

Peter's seems like an asshole in general, so even if he gets the benefit of the doubt in this case, there's a lot of other stuff that adds up to trouble.

I've heard this type of talk on the construction site that fits the situation Pete laid out, and nobody had a profound reaction, it was just banter. There could be all kinds of context we're not aware of, but just fire the guy and give him his money. He's not worth the trouble, he's a Babcock acolyte, I would bet there's plenty more ammo against him out there.

What I don't like about the situation, coupled with the Marner and Don Cherry stuff, is the criticism it's invited towards the game as a whole. There's plenty of bugmen here that jump on this stuff like Heyenas because of the factors sorrounding hockey that they deem as unacceptable. It's too white and mysoginistic, essentially. This has given them plenty of ammo to slander a game they don't understand, and never liked from the get go and are jealous of its popularity here against other sports.

There's nothing wrong with hockey, there's nothing wrong with hockey players.

But why is everyone so sure the context of the usage Peters calling rap music "n***** shit"?

What if Aliu was playing music with excessive use of the word n***** and Peters said: "I don't want to heard that 'n****' shit anymore"?

Would that change anything, if he was just tired of hearing that word...As the next quote possibly suggests? Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this 'n-----' s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

Fair point. Could be. There's also a difference between n***er and n***a, as much as everyone jokes about it. A hard er is no good lol

Peter's seems like an asshole in general, so even if he gets the benefit of the doubt in this case, there's a lot of other stuff that adds up to trouble.

I've heard this type of talk on the construction site that fits the situation Pete laid out, and nobody had a profound reaction, it was just banter. There could be all kinds of context we're not aware of, but just fire the guy and give him his money. He's not worth the trouble, he's a Babcock acolyte, I would bet there's plenty more ammo against him out there.

What I don't like about the situation, coupled with the Marner and Don Cherry stuff, is the criticism it's invited towards the game as a whole. There's plenty of bugmen here that jump on this stuff like Heyenas because of the factors sorrounding hockey that they deem as unacceptable. It's too white and mysoginistic, essentially. This has given them plenty of ammo to slander a game they don't understand, and never liked from the get go and are jealous of its popularity here against other sports.

Regarding the bold, I agree. He's done enough other shit to tarnish his rep. That said, there's legality around relieving him of his duties for shit that happened a decade ago in another organization. That's what's taking so long, I'm sure.

The next bolded statement, I did hear a clip of a woman railing against hockey and saying just because she's from Canada doesn't mean she needs to like hockey, and yes...Basically called the hockey community white, racist and misogynist. I think it was on Chiclets, and they were quick to point out that it was OK for her to make blanket statements about the hockey community but if it were done to her community...pitchforks [that's me paraphrasing Chiclets].

its obviously being implied that he was saying "turn off your 'n... shit "

in the US, at least, hockey is viewed as a rich white mans sport. If this happened to a team/coach currently in the US, I could only imagine what would be happening.

in the US, at least, hockey is viewed as a rich white mans sport. If this happened to a team/coach currently in the US, I could only imagine what would be happening.

That's my view of the sport in the US, too. What is a Zac Aston-Reese? It sounds like he's just biding time until his grandfather dies and he gets 90 acres in Nantucket.

The "music" that's currently out there in the rap world is truly appalling. My son listens to it regularly and the N word is used a minimum of 20 times in every single song. That and the content which is all about burying their di*ks in some ho's orifices is generally all they talk about...oh and killing each other. But this is still all besides the point...he should be fired because he should have better control over the things coming out of his own mouth.

The "music" that's currently out there in the rap world is truly appalling. My son listens to it regularly and the N word is used a minimum of 20 times in every single song. That and the content which is all about burying their di*ks in some ho's orifices is generally all they talk about...oh and killing each other. But this is still all besides the point...he should be fired because he should have better control over the things coming out of his own mouth.
I don't think it really has anything to do with control but he resigned so it doesn't matter.