• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flames Fire Bill Peters After Allegations of Racial Slurs

Phil

The Calgary Flames are looking into accusations from former player Akim Aliu that coach Bill Peters directed racial slurs toward him "several times."

Aliu played for Peters in 2009-10 with the Rockford Ice Hogs, the AHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks.

Aliu posted a tweet Monday night that read: "Not very surprising the things we're hearing about Babcock. Apple doesn't fall far from the Tree, same sort of deal with his protege in YYC. Dropped the N bomb several times towards me in the dressing room in my rookie year because he didn't like my choice of music."

Aliu's tweet came days after several former players criticized recently fired Toronto Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock for his coaching tactics and intimidation of young players. Specifically, the Toronto Sun reported that in 2016-17, Babcock forced then-rookie Mitch Marner to rate his teammates based on their work ethics. Babcock then shared the list with Marner's teammates without his permission.

At the time of Aliu's tweet, the Flames were playing the Pittsburgh Penguins. After the game, general manager Brad Treliving met with reporters.

"Obviously we were playing, so I haven't had a chance to sit down with Bill or our team internally to talk about this and get to the bottom of it," Treliving said. "I would say we take these matters very, very seriously."

The Flames did not make Peters available. Treliving said he would update reporters further after he spoke to Peters and addressed the issue internally.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28165230/flames-probing-ex-player-claims-coach-bill-peters-used-racial-slurs

???

“He walked in before a morning pre-game skate and said ‘Hey Akim, I’m sick of you playing that n----- s---,’ ” Aliu told TSN, with Peters, who was then the Ice Hogs head coach, referring to Aliu’s selection of hip-hop music. “He said ‘I’m sick of hearing this n-----s f------ other n-----s in the ass stuff.’

When Peters then called Aliu into his office to talk about it, Aliu said Peters did not apologize. Instead, Peters again expressed his displeasure in Aliu’s choice of music for the dressing room, with Aliu saying Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this n----- s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

https://www.tsn.ca/akim-aliu-speaks-publicly-on-allegations-against-calgary-flames-head-coach-bill-peters-1.1403974

"Listening to n***** music"...but meant no disrespect. Yeah ok. Don't buy one bit of that apology to be honest.

Also, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It was a mere coincidence, you know, just one of things that the guy I said it to happened to be black. I mean what are the chances!

This is devil's advocate, and not that it condones the use of the word...

But why is everyone so sure the context of the usage Peters calling rap music "n***** shit"?

What if Aliu was playing music with excessive use of the word n***** and Peters said: "I don't want to heard that 'n****' shit anymore"?

Would that change anything, if he was just tired of hearing that word...As the next quote possibly suggests? Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this 'n-----' s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

Where you put the quotation marks here probably matters.