• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kreider Gets Qualified Vote of Confidence

Sod16

Doesn't really sound like a vote of confidence at all. It sounds like they are probably not satisfied with current offers and want him to play, have a good season, and then probably trade him before the deadline. I think it will take an unexpected development cap-wise for them to sign him. What I find interesting is that the initial comments come from JD on an issue that would usually be handled by the GM. I wonder if, in the long term, there could be friction with JD swooping in to manage things sometimes and the leaving it all to Gorton at other times. In this instance, at least, Gorton's comment echo those of JD.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/09/rangers-chris-kreider-gets-a-qualified-vote-of-confidence/

It's not, and that's basically what Brooks is saying by "qualified".

I also don't think the decision not to resign Kreider should be classified as a cap decision. It's a decision based on the players age, the risk with giving him 7 years and his fit with the organization going forward.

I'm sure Brooksie and others will continue trotting out the narrative of Kreider being a victim of the cap crunch, however.

The only reason I see for this approach is, as we've said, this is a "see what you've got" year. Half the team is new.

If you're really good and think you can do damage next year, then you try and get him under the cap (very hard with the cap situation)... If you still think you're 2-3 years away from making noise AFTER this season... Gotta trade him for whatever you can get.

If they were well under the cap, they would probably sign him. In the long term, it's always cap. They have to look down the road to when Kakko and one or two of the others on entry level contracts are due giant raises.

If they were well under the cap, they would probably sign him. In the long term, it's always cap. They have to look down the road to when Kakko and one or two of the others on entry level contracts are due giant raises.

I don’t think they would. This is about not giving a 29 year old 7 years. It’s not about cap.

I’m absolutely certain he would be signed if he was willing to take 4 years.

I never understood the rush to trade/sign him. He has a year left. Sorry it's uncomfortable for him but that's how contracts work.

He has three options:

1) play well enough that the Rangers absolutely have to keep you.

2) play well enough that another team absolutely has to have you.

3) sulk like Zuccarello did and end up with limited options.

I never understood the rush to trade/sign him. He has a year left. Sorry it's uncomfortable for him but that's how contracts work.

He has three options:

The problem isn't from Kreider's point of view. It's the Rangers potentially putting themselves in a bad position to make a mistake later by not resolving it now.

Agree. I don't want to set a precedent where all contracts have to be settled a year in advance and extensions are based on performance from two seasons ago.

He has three options:

The rush is asset management over all else. 82 games of Kreider is worth more than 22. It'd be way easier if they were the Senators or the Wild, and if they're even sniffing the playoff bubble, it'd be a miracle. You know you're being dealt in February, you know you've got millions on the line, you're going to play your ass off, get moved to a contender, show your stuff on the biggest stages, and hopefully add a Cup ring to the resume.

The problem is that the Rangers don't have a clue what they have right now. They're a hodgepodge mix of limitless potential and marquee signings. They're in a transitional state - might be the year we contend, might be another year in the lottery.

If it were a question of the Rangers being two years into the window, relatively clean cap situation, etc - yeah, he probably gets signed and it's not an issue. We just get some pleasantry from the Twitter account in late August.

We're best served by holding the card until we answer the questions around what the team is.

82 games isn't worth more to a cap playoff team who might want him at deadline.

The rush is asset management over all else. 82 games of Kreider is worth more than 22. It'd be way easier if they were the Senators or the Wild, and if they're even sniffing the playoff bubble, it'd be a miracle. You know you're being dealt in February, you know you've got millions on the line, you're going to play your ass off, get moved to a contender, show your stuff on the biggest stages, and hopefully add a Cup ring to the resume.

The problem is that the Rangers don't have a clue what they have right now. They're a hodgepodge mix of limitless potential and marquee signings. They're in a transitional state - might be the year we contend, might be another year in the lottery.

If it were a question of the Rangers being two years into the window, relatively clean cap situation, etc - yeah, he probably gets signed and it's not an issue. We just get some pleasantry from the Twitter account in late August.

We're best served by holding the card until we answer the questions around what the team is.

if he doesn't act like a pro he will only hurt himself.

i expect a strong year from him. if we are contending management needs to weigh keeping him for the run at the risk of him walking without compensation at year's end. if columbus and the islanders did this with panarin and tavares, i can easily see it happening with chris.

Plus JD sacked up to make the run last year and how many did columbus lose to FA? i don't think losing chris scares him at all. will be a pure hockey decision at the end of the day.

Plus JD sacked up to make the run last year and how many did columbus lose to FA? i don't think losing chris scares him at all. will be a pure hockey decision at the end of the day.

That's a completely different scenario though.

They knew they were losing their two superstars to free agency, and whatever window they had with that team was going to close at the end of the season. He was also running an organization that had never won a playoff round.

I would be utterly shocked if they decided to let Kreider walk in free agency and forego a first round pick and a prospect, only to make a run at possibly making the playoffs with this team. Winning a playoff round with the Rangers means fuck all in the greater scheme of things, and this teams window hasn't even opened yet.

That's a completely different scenario though.

They knew they were losing their two superstars to free agency, and whatever window they had with that team was going to close at the end of the season. He was also running an organization that had never won a playoff round.

I would be utterly shocked if they decided to let Kreider walk in free agency and forego a first round pick and a prospect, only to make a run at possibly making the playoffs with this team. Winning a playoff round with the Rangers means fuck all in the greater scheme of things, and this teams window hasn't even opened yet.

Agree with this 100%. Totally different situation. Rangers window isn’t really open yet and they’d need a 15-20 point improvement just to get in. Columbus wasn’t in the midst of a youth movement.

I don’t think they allow him to walk for nothing, or even do the lip service pre-July trade, where they flip his rights for a low round pick just to get something. They know they can get at least a 1st round pick for him, and it doesn’t look like they are going to sign him. They can’t pass that up. Especially looking at the 2020 draft which is both top-heavy and deep. This is a year where multiple picks in the 1st round is something you don’t pass up if you have the opportunity.

Regardless of where they are in the standings, trading him is only about whether or not they plan on attempting to keep him. It doesn’t look now like that’s something they’re going to do.

• 3 months later...
2 months in. Team definitely took a step forward with off season acquisitions. Where do they stand with Kreider? My opinion......flipped for picks at the deadline is what will keep this train going in the right direction. Thoughts?

I wouldn't go and buy a Kreider jersey right now. His days here should be numbered. At least he's playing better than he had been, but he's here today and gone tomorrow; his game has pretty much always been the same way. The guy has 30-40 goal a year potential, and one day I'm sure he'll do it. It just won't be here in NY again.

Hopefully we can move him to a contender and he can possibly win a Cup. In turn, we can snatch up the first rounder or solid prospect(s) he retrieves.