• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

You're the GM: What if the Zibenajad Injury is Significant?

Pete

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather wait until Kreider goes on a "hot streak" (term used loosely) before we deal him and get top dollar. Besides, with Kreider playing with us, we can be assured we'll be a lottery team again. He's a fucking albatross around our necks at this point.

I'd rather wait until Kreider goes on a "hot streak" (term used loosely) before we deal him and get top dollar. Besides, with Kreider playing with us, we can be assured we'll be a lottery team again. He's a fucking albatross around our necks at this point.

Agreed

But we’ve seen this before from him. Multiple times

He’s invisible for 1/4 to 1/3 of the season every season. Like he’s been thus far for these first 8-10 games.

No reason to believe he won’t snap out of it, find his game and start scoring some.

Agreed

But we’ve seen this before from him. Multiple times

He’s invisible for 1/4 to 1/3 of the season every season. Like he’s been thus far for these first 8-10 games.

No reason to believe he won’t snap out of it, find his game and start scoring some.

He knows he's playing for a contract, be it here or elsewhere. He couldn't possibly play any worse than he is of late (barring 2 garbage time goals). But his play has been poor in all areas. It's like he knows he's gone and could give a shit. I can totally smell "rental" all over him at the TDL.

We can hold on to him until he "peaks"...we're in no hurry. He doesn't help the team or hurt the team either way. it's like he doesn't even exist...kinda like his game!! :rofl:

• Like 1

He knows he's playing for a contract, be it here or elsewhere. He couldn't possibly play any worse than he is of late (barring 2 garbage time goals). But his play has been poor in all areas. It's like he knows he's gone and could give a shit. I can totally smell "rental" all over him at the TDL.

We can hold on to him until he "peaks"...we're in no hurry. He doesn't help the team or hurt the team either way. it's like he doesn't even exist...kinda like his game!! :rofl:

He knew coming in he’d be someone’s rental at some point this season

Few are playing well right now. They’re struggling as a team. There’s so much juggling and inconsistency and a lack of structure and system that they’re still trying to find. Those are probably huge contributors to his invisibility

Kreider has been inconsistent for much of his career with this team, in my opinion. His goal counts are misleading, while his efforts have been spotty at best. Fact is, we're not going to come out on top with this guy;

He'll suck for us, and then when we trade him, he'll get a new lease on life, regain his touch, and "love for the game"...and all the potential that we waited years for, will go elsewhere to another team. He's THAT kinda player to me! In return, we'll get a 3rd rounder or a stickbag for him. I'm hoping he gets really hot around March and we can trade him to a middle of the pack team with a shot at a lottery pick.

...a guy can dream! ;)

This. Moving him right now when his value is so low seems pointless. Wait till he starts producing and then trade him to a contending team at the trade deadline.

If someone offers a first you trade him. No reason to wait for a better return than that and be left holding the bag. That said I’m not sure someone if offering that yet or ever

Oh for sure Franny!! I don't think we'd want anything more than a 1st rounder. I'd leave a small cocoa puff in my BVD's right now if a team gave us a #1 for him! :rofl:

If someone offers a first you trade him. No reason to wait for a better return than that and be left holding the bag. That said I’m not sure someone if offering that yet or ever

Absolutely

A 1st is the right price, and fair value, and what they should be looking for and get.

Oh for sure Franny!! I don't think we'd want anything more than a 1st rounder. I'd leave a small cocoa puff in my BVD's right now if a team gave us a #1 for him! :rofl:

Absolutely

A 1st is the right price, and fair value, and what they should be looking for and get.

I'm not really sure I agree.

For one, we got more for Hayes (and save for one stupid bounce, would have for Zuccarello). I consider Kreider a better player than Hayes, and I think most here would agree. I think we could get more than a 1st for him, and we'd be silly to jump on the first 1st that hits the wire.

Second (and more importantly, imo), each year's market is different, and this TDL is shaping up very nicely for the Rangers. We have an exceptionally weak TDL class since most of the top names are on teams we shouldn't expect to be selling. We've also got some good stories to keep an eye on as a number of teams are more competitive than expected. Obviously, this changes over time, and there are a lot of variables (namely, will Taylor Hall be on that market) but it's not unreasonable to think that of the clear selling teams (which I think we'd be one), the Rangers might be holding the single best piece at the TDL. Again.

Why jump the market?

• Like 1

For one, we got more for Hayes (and save for one stupid bounce, would have for Zuccarello). I consider Kreider a better player than Hayes, and I think most here would agree. I think we could get more than a 1st for him, and we'd be silly to jump on the first 1st that hits the wire.

Second (and more importantly, imo), each year's market is different, and this TDL is shaping up very nicely for the Rangers. We have an exceptionally weak TDL class since most of the top names are on teams we shouldn't expect to be selling. We've also got some good stories to keep an eye on as a number of teams are more competitive than expected. Obviously, this changes over time, and there are a lot of variables (namely, will Taylor Hall be on that market) but it's not unreasonable to think that of the clear selling teams (which I think we'd be one), the Rangers might be holding the single best piece at the TDL. Again.

Why jump the market?

I don't think that Krieder is better than Hayes. I think he does one thing better than Hayes does, and that thing (goals) is in high demand...But centers are normally in higher demand. Especially ones who can play in any situation.

Why jump the market?

I don’t think they will jump the market unless someone comes to them with an offer they simply can’t refuse, and that likely only comes out of desperation.

I’d be surprised if he moved before January.

Cap space and paying him is a factor too.

I don't think that Krieder is better than Hayes. I think he does one thing better than Hayes does, and that thing (goals) is in high demand...But centers are normally in higher demand. Especially ones who can play in any situation.

Agree to disagree there.

Regardless, this is one weak-ass center class at the TDL. Mikko Koivu isn't getting moved unless he asks for it. Backstrom isn't going anywhere. Your top pure center - guaranteed on the market - is JG Pageau.

There will be desperate teams bidding for goals at the TDL. Kreider's one of the best bets to deliver on that.

Let's say Z is out in the 6-8 week range. We all know we're lacking center depth right now. We all know it's near impossible to make the playoffs if you're out on Thanksgiving, let alone Christmas.

If you're the GM, what do you do? Personally, I'd:

1. Send Kakko and Fox down. Neither will benefit from racking up the losses. Kakko would really benefit from less pressure and playing with Chytil.

2. Just roll with Lias as the 1 or 2C. How much worse can it get?

3. Move Kreider and Fast sooner rather than later. See if Fast would like to come back as a UFA.

4. Start a coaching search. Have to start thinking Quinn isn't the guy for this team. He takes a timeout yesterday and not one person is looking at him while he's yelling. Not a good sign.

5. Lose, a lot.

6. Draft Lafreniere or Byfield.

7. Try again next year.

Hmm. I was gonna say, bring Chytil up but I think you're right. If Zib is out for an extended period of time, the season is over. So, I'd put those kids in Hartford and have them win the league. That's what the Leafs have done and those kids are all stars now.

I am really not a fan of having teenagers in the NHL lineup to begin with. I don't see the point in bringing them to the NHL to have their confidence shredded and then have to build them up again.

Agree to disagree there.

Regardless, this is one weak-ass center class at the TDL. Mikko Koivu isn't getting moved unless he asks for it. Backstrom isn't going anywhere. Your top pure center - guaranteed on the market - is JG Pageau.

There will be desperate teams bidding for goals at the TDL. Kreider's one of the best bets to deliver on that.

Kreider would probably be a 40 goal scorer on team like, say, Boston. That would make all of us sick, but it's probably the truth. And I agree with you. I think Kreider will fetch a pretty penny at the TDL assuming he doesn't have an absolute clunker of a year.

Hmm. I was gonna say, bring Chytil up but I think you're right. If Zib is out for an extended period of time, the season is over. So, I'd put those kids in Hartford and have them win the league. That's what the Leafs have done and those kids are all stars now.

I am really not a fan of having teenagers in the NHL lineup to begin with. I don't see the point in bringing them to the NHL to have their confidence shredded and then have to build them up again.

What kids are now all stars? Matthews, Marner, and Rielly never played a game in the AHL.

Kreider's would probably be a 40 goal scorer on team like, say, Boston. That would make all of us sick, but it's probably the truth. And I agree with you. I think Kreider will fetch a pretty penny at the TDL assuming he doesn't have an absolute clunker of a year.

I wouldn't bat an eyelash at it, personally. As long as they got something of real value out of the deal. Same as I didn't care seeing Nash in a B's jersey.

Let's say Z is out in the 6-8 week range. We all know we're lacking center depth right now. We all know it's near impossible to make the playoffs if you're out on Thanksgiving, let alone Christmas.

If you're the GM, what do you do? Personally, I'd:

1. Send Kakko and Fox down. Neither will benefit from racking up the losses. Kakko would really benefit from less pressure and playing with Chytil.

2. Just roll with Lias as the 1 or 2C. How much worse can it get?

3. Move Kreider and Fast sooner rather than later. See if Fast would like to come back as a UFA.

4. Start a coaching search. Have to start thinking Quinn isn't the guy for this team. He takes a timeout yesterday and not one person is looking at him while he's yelling. Not a good sign.

5. Lose, a lot.

6. Draft Lafreniere or Byfield.

7. Try again next year.

1: I keep at least Fox up. He belongs here IMO. Kakko has no confidence. He might be worth sending down to start gaining some, but I think we need to be a bit more patient with him and the current youngsters on the team in general. It's only been 9 games.

2: Agreed, but I'd call Chytil up for 1C. Lias 2C.

3: Seems like they wouldn't get as much now rather than later, so it depends. Could kind of take or leave bringing Fast back as a UFA. Really depends on term.

4: Quinn inherited a garbage roster. He deserves more time, even though the lack of defensive structure combined with some of the lineup/rostering choices he has made seem suspect. Especially after the bad start.

5: It's early, but ok if this is what happens.

6: Feels like we used all of our luck to get Kakko. But hopefully not?

1: I keep at least Fox up. He belongs here IMO. Kakko has no confidence. He might be worth sending down to start gaining some, but I think we need to be a bit more patient with him and the current youngsters on the team in general. It's only been 9 games.

2: Agreed, but I'd call Chytil up for 1C. Lias 2C.

3: Seems like they wouldn't get as much now rather than later, so it depends. Could kind of take or leave bringing Fast back as a UFA. Really depends on term.

4: Quinn inherited a garbage roster. He deserves more time, even though the lack of defensive structure combined with some of the lineup/rostering choices he has made seem suspect. Especially after the bad start.

5: It's early, but ok if this is what happens.

6: Feels like we used all of our luck to get Kakko. But hopefully not?

What's your motivation for bringing the kids up? My motivation for sending them down is shielding them from all the losing. I feel like I'd rather have them win in Hartford then lose in the NHL.

I was a huge Krieder fan but no longer. In a contract year where he's looking to cash in his play has been absolute garbage when he should be leading the way for some of these kids. He looks completely uninterested and for the life of me I don't get it. Even if he's not scoring he should be flying around but instead outside of garbage time goals he's been an invisible passenger. I'm in the get rid of him as soon as you can column, Honestly I really don't see him as anything more than a rental because I would imagine he's going to look for a huge deal and I just can't see the value in any team giving it to him. Extremely disappointed I expected him to step way up given the circumstances.

What's your motivation for bringing the kids up? My motivation for sending them down is shielding them from all the losing. I feel like I'd rather have them win in Hartford then lose in the NHL.

Chytil is the only one that wasn't (called up 20 minutes ago) here who I'd actually bring up. They just brought up Lindgren and I'm good with that too. He looked ready. Fox is an NHL player and belongs here. Chytil is an NHL player and belongs here. I've seen enough from Kakko to feel he is an NHL player and belongs here, despite the rough start. I don't want to get in the habit of sending NHL quality players to Hartford to baby them from losses just because the team might not be very good this year. If I was a player, I'd rather lose in the NHL than win in the AHL. Who knows, maybe handle that on a case by case basis depending on the player. I think they can handle some losing if it comes with NHL experience as long as it isn't for an extended period of time where losing starts to feel acceptable (multiple seasons). If that were to happen, they'd be looking for a coaching change to re-energize/realign the team. Some have tasted winning at different levels, like Kakko last year, and handling losses is a part of growing up and maturing. He's going through some things right now, and I'm very interested to see how he responds before moving him down.

Chytil is the only one that wasn't (called up 20 minutes ago) here who I'd actually bring up. They just brought up Lindgren and I'm good with that too. He looked ready. Fox is an NHL player and belongs here. Chytil is an NHL player and belongs here. I've seen enough from Kakko to feel he is an NHL player and belongs here, despite the rough start. I don't want to get in the habit of sending NHL quality players to Hartford to baby them from losses just because the team might not be very good this year. If I was a player, I'd rather lose in the NHL than win in the AHL. Who knows, maybe handle that on a case by case basis depending on the player. I think they can handle some losing if it comes with NHL experience as long as it isn't for an extended period of time where losing starts to feel acceptable (multiple seasons). If that were to happen, they'd be looking for a coaching change to re-energize/realign the team. Some have tasted winning at different levels, like Kakko last year, and handling losses is a part of growing up and maturing. He's going through some things right now, and I'm very interested to see how he responds before moving him down.
Got it. Thanks for that.

Kakkos expression from the box makes me feel like just because a player is NHL ready doesn't mean they're NHL caliber... Because there's a certain amount of pressure in the NHL.

I think sending them down together, to play and win together, would be nice.