• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tony DeAngelo's Holdout

ThirtyONE

Why in the world are we using Shattenkirk as a barometer for what DeAngelo should be paid? Whether DeAngelo played better than Shattenkirk last year is completely irrelevant. Shattenkirk has an established name that he built over a decade in the league. It doesn't matter if he wasn't as good on this team as DeAngelo was last year. Teams historically pay for names, especially if it's a player they see as being able to rebound into what they used to be and worth much more than what they are signing for. DeAngelo has barely had any time at the pro level. We don't know what he is yet.

I understand why people like DeAngelo based on his game. I do as well. I'm just not in the boat that he deserves much more than the QO for the time being on a one year contract.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the world are we using Shattenkirk as a barometer for what DeAngelo should be paid?

Because using comparable players as reference points is how contracts work in sports. From ADA's perspective..."I'm better than Shattenkirk, I should get more money." This is fundamental in contract negotiations.

Are you saying that Pionk is irrelevant too?

Why in the world are we using Shattenkirk as a barometer for what DeAngelo should be paid? Whether DeAngelo played better than Shattenkirk last year is completely irrelevant. Shattenkirk has an established name that he built over a decade in the league. It doesn't matter if he wasn't as good on this team as DeAngelo was last year. Teams historically pay for names, especially if it's a player they see as being able to rebound into what they used to be and worth much more than what they are signing for. DeAngelo has barely had any time at the pro level. We don't know what he is yet.

I understand why people like DeAngelo based on his game. I do as well. I'm just not in the boat that he deserves much more than the QO for the time being on a one year contract.

Not a barometer as to salary, but how he will be used. Even if he dressed Shatty was always hurt and usually ineffective, which increased ADA's role last season. Don't think ADA would be anything more than 3rd pair most nights this season.

Because using comparable players as reference points is how contracts work in sports. From ADA's perspective..."I'm better than Shattenkirk, I should get more money." This is fundamental in contract negotiations.

Are you saying that Pionk is irrelevant too?

Yeah, it's not that black and white. Is he better than Dahlin? Heiskanen?

He's better than Honka. And he's holding out for more than the QA.

Just trade him already, I feel it's already soured.

You could make an argument that Quinn sat him multiple times, for no reason, which depressed his numbers thus costing him a lot of money. I'd be pissed, too.

He's obviously, obviously, a 40 point Dman in his sleep, probably more like a 60 point Dman given a proper opportunity, but he has a personality and that's not really allowed in this league, so he's the guy they're going to play hardball with after the previous 40 consecutive contracts they handed out being obvious slight overpays, or worse.

Just move on, I'm done with it, I think Deangelo is, too.

You could make an argument that Quinn sat him multiple times, for no reason, which depressed his numbers thus costing him a lot of money. I'd be pissed, too.

He's obviously, obviously, a 40 point Dman in his sleep, probably more like a 60 point Dman given a proper opportunity, but he has a personality and that's not really allowed in this league, so he's the guy they're going to play hardball with after the previous 40 consecutive contracts they handed out being obvious slight overpays, or worse.

Why do you make it personal?

This is just so clearly untrue that it makes the rest of your argument invalid.

Tony has a reputation. He's been benched many many times before he met David Quinn. It's not some deep state NHL conspiracy against "personalities." He's clearly been a problem everywhere he's been.

How is that personal? It's just summation of the situation.

I'm not happy he's not going to be here, or will come late, which won't work out, he'll eat 100 extra calories on some Tuesday and Quin will sit him a week for it.

Just move on.

But the comments you make sound like something his agent or dad would say.

"He's not being treated fairly".

"They're sitting him for no reason."

"They're sitting him so he can't get paid."

"Everyone else got paid, why can't they pay him?"

Honestly, you think they have something personal against him? Or more likely he's an ass that 2 teams saw fit to move on from?

I mean, if they had something against him, they'd have already traded him.

But the comments you make sound like something his agent or dad would say.

"He's not being treated fairly".

"They're sitting him for no reason."

"They're sitting him so he can't get paid."

"Everyone else got paid, why can't they pay him?"

Honestly, you think they have something personal against him? Or more likely he's an ass that 2 teams saw fit to move on from?

I mean, if they had something against him, they'd have already traded him.

if there's a team that wants him

This is just so clearly untrue that it makes the rest of your argument invalid.

Tony has a reputation. He's been benched many many times before he met David Quinn. It's not some deep state NHL conspiracy against "personalities." He's clearly been a problem everywhere he's been.

Here's ADA being a dick in the NHL.

Here's ADA being a dick in junior, and he did it to a teammate.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sarnia-s-anthony-deangelo-suspended-for-slur-directed-at-teammate-232527684.html

Here's ADA being a dick on the Rangers.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/04/how-tony-deangelo-is-getting-help-to-tackle-his-maturity-issue/

So it was the talent talking when DeAngelo, reinstated for Monday’s Garden match against the Kings, all but laughed when asked following the morning skate if he has contemplated the possibility this already might be his last chance in the NHL, five years after he was drafted by Tampa Bay, four years after he was traded to Arizona, and two years after he came to New York as part of the return for Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta.

“No; I’m pretty confident in myself as a player,” No. 77 told The Post before the Blueshirts’ 4-3 overtime defeat. “I’m also not as crazy as people might think I am.”

In what way has he been a problem here? Most of his problems occurred when he was a teen. Lots of young players get benched here and there. It is an assumption that he was benched last year for off ice issues not fact. We aren’t talking about anything more than a 1 year deal here for under $2m if he’s asking for more than that he’s clueless and hurting himself. That is not him being a locker room problem though. If the rangers don’t view him as a player worth $1.25-1.5m then why not just trade him? There is a middle ground here and both parties can have a valid point. This is one of those cases. Why people want to make it about him being a problem or worthless is just not true based on what’s been reported.

In what way has he been a problem here? Most of his problems occurred when he was a teen. Lots of young players get benched here and there. It is an assumption that he was benched last year for off ice issues not fact. We aren’t talking about anything more than a 1 year deal here for under $2m if he’s asking for more than that he’s clueless and hurting himself. That is not him being a locker room problem though. If the rangers don’t view him as a player worth $1.25-1.5m then why not just trade him? There is a middle ground here and both parties can have a valid point. This is one of those cases. Why people want to make it about him being a problem or worthless is just not true based on what’s been reported.

It's flat out lazy, this stuff is easy to find, man.

David Quinn then told The Post that DeAngelo was sitting because of “a maturity issue” related to an episode that occurred during last Tuesday’s match against the Flyers. This was a behavioral, rather than a hockey, matter.

Seriously, just Google "Anthony DeAngelo discipline" and a laundry list of links come up. It's not hard to see.

The problems he had in the past before he got here you referenced are problems and why he has his label. His “maturity” issues Quinn references is not him abusing an official, using racial slurs or anything like that. The maturity issues from the games that led to his benching was bad discipline during those games. was it not? Maybe I’m wrong but I’m not being lazy. But here you go again taking a conversation past what it needs to be. About the substance of the topic not about what you perceive me to be. Maturity issues can mean a lot of things. And they like the offer that he’s been made is based upon assumption. The offer has been reported as $875m by Larry Brooks. The maturity issues from that article does not say what they are. Kreider, Miller, Hayes, chytil, etc have all seen street cloths in recent years due to maturity issues of some sort. They do t have his history of course but deangelo is still a young kid trying to learn what it takes to be a pro. Maturity issues could be as simple as that

Picking apart and dissecting the specific issues is just chasing your tail. The point is he's had issues EVERYWHERE he's been -- not what the specific issues are.

So this "poor Tony" narrative is total BS. We don't know the reason why he was benched last season, but the coach decided that he did something that wasn't within team rules. No one else had a problem staying on the ice.

Again, he has no ground to stand on. His contract doesn't give him any leverage and the Rangers aren't in the business of doing favors.

The problems he had in the past before he got here you referenced are problems and why he has his label. His “maturity” issues Quinn references is not him abusing an official, using racial slurs or anything like that. The maturity issues from the games that led to his benching was bad discipline during those games. was it not? Maybe I’m wrong but I’m not being lazy. But here you go again taking a conversation past what it needs to be. About the substance of the topic not about what you perceive me to be. Maturity issues can mean a lot of things. And they like the offer that he’s been made is based upon assumption. The offer has been reported as $875m by Larry Brooks. The maturity issues from that article does not say what they are. Kreider, Miller, Hayes, chytil, etc have all seen street cloths in recent years due to maturity issues of some sort. They do t have his history of course but deangelo is still a young kid trying to learn what it takes to be a pro. Maturity issues could be as simple as that

or he could've pissed in teammate's skates. we don't know exactly but there's obviously an issue

The problems he had in the past before he got here you referenced are problems and why he has his label. His ?maturity? issues Quinn references is not him abusing an official, using racial slurs or anything like that. The maturity issues from the games that led to his benching was bad discipline during those games. was it not? Maybe I?m wrong but I?m not being lazy. But here you go again taking a conversation past what it needs to be. About the substance of the topic not about what you perceive me to be. Maturity issues can mean a lot of things. And they like the offer that he?s been made is based upon assumption. The offer has been reported as $875m by Larry Brooks. The maturity issues from that article does not say what they are. Kreider, Miller, Hayes, chytil, etc have all seen street cloths in recent years due to maturity issues of some sort. They do t have his history of course but deangelo is still a young kid trying to learn what it takes to be a pro. Maturity issues could be as simple as that

Where's the link where Brooks said that was the Rangers offer (not the qualifying offer, their final offer?)

The problem with ADA is that just last season he didn't realize where his behavior was leading. Rather than be contrite, he's arrogant.

You can't ignore the pat issues because it supports your narrative. He's been a dick his whole career and the evidence is there.

Time to grow up, Tony. The team doesn't need you. You need them. We already have enough of D who can put up points and not defend well.

• Like 2