• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tony DeAngelo's Holdout

ThirtyONE

The standoff between the Rangers and restricted free agents Tony DeAngelo and Brendan Lemieux continues as the club prepares to report Thursday for training camp, The Post has learned.

President John Davidson thus is faced with the prospect of opening his first camp at the Blueshirts’ helm without two of his projected young, important roster pieces in attendance.

The Rangers, we’re told, are standing on their respective one-year qualifying offer of $874,125 to each player. Neither 23-year-old has indicated the slightest interest in signing for that number, which, by the way, represents less than the entry-level cap of $925,000 at which the team signed neophytes Kaapo Kakko, Vitali Kravtsov, Adam Fox, Igor Shesterkin and Yegor Rykov this summer.

According to calculations provided by Capfriendly.com, only one player with as many games experience as Lemieux (72 games), much less DeAngelo (132), has signed a QO coming off entry level this summer. That was the Blackhawks’ Brendan Perlini, in for $874,125 with 199 NHL games on his r?sum?. The Blue Jackets’ Sonny Milano signed his qualifier with an NHL career total of 70 games. A total of 13 players coming off entry level signed QO’s this summer, per Capfriendly.com.

Lemieux and DeAngelo are both taking part in the informal skates at the Blueshirts’ practice rink.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/10/rangers-facing-training-camp-without-tony-deangelo-brendan-lemieux/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milano, a 1st rounder who has spent what little time he had with the CBJ in Tortarella's doghouse(a lot like ADA) had considered going to Europe, but same thing; it's not the same. It's not the NHL. People will forget you. Scouts might know if you played great in Zurich, but there's ego involved here. Better to sign up and hope you play well and get a better shot, or some other club takes a chance and trades for you.

According to calculations provided by Capfriendly.com, only one player with as many games experience as Lemieux (72 games), much less DeAngelo (132), has signed a QO coming off entry level this summer. That was the Blackhawks’ Brendan Perlini, in for $874,125 with 199 NHL games on his r?sum?. The Blue Jackets’ Sonny Milano signed his qualifier with an NHL career total of 70 games. A total of 13 players coming off entry level signed QO’s this summer, per Capfriendly.com.

This part confuses me. He says one player signed their QO at the beginning of the paragraph, but at the end he says the number is 13.

Carpiniello tends to telegraph when he has usable intelligence. I also think he goes back a long way with JD, so he may have more of it than he has in the past. So FWIW, in the comments below his Quinn interview this morning, someone said "hope TD and Lemieux show up to camp." Carp simply said, "... they will." So mgt may have it figured out, perhaps the aforementioned getting Smith and Belesky to Hartford. That would also explain why there has been no negotiating through the media.

I really dislike the attitude that I've seen that basically says 'Shut up and sign the deal" from some fans

I know Pete used the LeBanc situation in jest. but for an example like that, LeBanc is making the ultimate bet on himself to ensure he can sign the deal he really wants when the Sharks have tons of cap room next summer

ADA and Lemiux are not going to ever sign monster contracts anywhere. They have every right to wait and sign the deal that's best for them, for their careers and their financial security long term

I really dislike the attitude that I've seen that basically says 'Shut up and sign the deal" from some fans

I know Pete used the LeBanc situation in jest. but for an example like that, LeBanc is making the ultimate bet on himself to ensure he can sign the deal he really wants when the Sharks have tons of cap room next summer

ADA and Lemiux are not going to ever sign monster contracts anywhere. They have every right to wait and sign the deal that's best for them, for their careers and their financial security long term

That's the point... This IS the deal that's best for their careers.

If you're either of them, especially Lemiuex, why would you think the Rangers owe them more?

This isn't shut up and sign the deal because of any other reason than they haven't truly done anything to warrant raises.

I'm always of the mind that it doesn't hurt to ask for the moon as the worst case scenario is they say no.. That being said, neither guy (Lemiuex more so than ADA) has earned much more than the qualifying figure. They haven't shown enough to reward them based on potential

The rangers would pay them more if they had the space to get the deals done. Again we are talking about $250 to $500k more they’d be willing to pay. Not a lot in terms of pro sports but somebody tell me that’s not a lot of money, especially when it’s 50% of what you’re currently making. Circumstances left these guys without a chair when the music stopped. If panarin didn’t sign, if kreider, names or strome were able to be moved the rangers would cough up the extra 500k to get it done. Sucks for them. I’m not to worried about it getting done. When the cap space becomes available they will get their modest raise

The rangers would pay them more if they had the space to get the deals done. Again we are talking about $250 to $500k more they?d be willing to pay. Not a lot in terms of pro sports but somebody tell me that?s not a lot of money, especially when it?s 50% of what you?re currently making. Circumstances left these guys without a chair when the music stopped. If panarin didn?t sign, if kreider, names or strome were able to be moved the rangers would cough up the extra 500k to get it done. Sucks for them. I?m not to worried about it getting done. When the cap space becomes available they will get their modest raise
How do you know the Rangers would be willing to pay more?

They knew what they were doing when they signed Panarin and Trouba. They knew who the odd man out would be.

I'm pretty sure the Rangers are comfortable moving forward without neither one of these guys. Either that, or they always knew the plan would be to sign them once they were able to send guys down and clear summer cap room.

They knew what they were doing when they signed Panarin and Trouba. They knew who the odd man out would be.

I'm pretty sure the Rangers are comfortable moving forward without neither one of these guys. Either that, or they always knew the plan would be to sign them once they were able to send guys down and clear summer cap room.

No! There is no plan. The 2030 cap is fucked.

Well they just did.

Their miscalculation wasn’t panarin and trouba. It was not being able to move others.

DeAngelo needs to swallow hard and get this done. Players who miss training camp, or are fighting about contracts in camp, typically have subpar years, which he can't afford.

The Ranger will have a lot of guys on the last year of their contracts this year, and it will be very hard signing them under the cap if they have good years.

We don't need to (or want to, I presume) resign them all.

My gut tells me Strome, Names and Krieder are all gone, to start.

Not sure on Kreider - the other two, yeah.

Kreider's destiny is in his own hands, I think. We should not give him big term without him taking a nice hit to his AAV, but there's a wise deal to be had there.

Of course, I'd be equally okay with another year of offloading the top asset at the TDL.