• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jersey Ads Could Become Reality As Early As 2022-23 Season

Phil

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jerseys already have advertising on them. Where's the outrage for that?

My god, this fake debate is so tired. "It's a slippery slope to this:" *shows some 2nd division Swiss league jersey*

No. It's not. Because merch sales are important to the NHL's bottom line.

Does anyone care about the ads on the boards? The ice? The glass? Behind the bench? The Chase Sky lounge? The Foxwoods Final Five? The Toyota intermission report? The Geico add every 7 minutes that the game literally stops to show? Like, if you're putting up a fight about jersey ads and helmet ads, you're too late. You've already lost.

My god, this fake debate is so tired. "It's a slippery slope to this:" *shows some 2nd division Swiss league jersey*

Does anyone care about the ads on the boards? The ice? The glass? Behind the bench? The Chase Sky lounge? The Foxwoods Final Five? The Toyota intermission report? The Geico add every 7 minutes that the game literally stops to show? Like, if you're putting up a fight about jersey ads and helmet ads, you're too late. You've already lost.

Yup.

"Mom, I want to get a tattoo."

Mom: 63ab68cf-19c9-4240-b36d-3dcb306e27cd-medium16x9_gmcTATTOOEDTEACHER.transfer_frame_0.png?1601393062411

Yes. You can go back to the helmet ad thread. I was told the helmet ad would be the last one, and then I pointed out 1980s hockey.

Again, arent you a tech guy that batches in marketing and advertising?

Yes. You can go back to the helmet ad thread. I was told the helmet ad would be the last one, and then I pointed out 1980s hockey.

Aren't you a business guy? How do you propose the league make money?

I don't even know what this means.

But you want to go back to the 80s when players had two jobs? Wayne Gretzky was the league's highest earner at $717,250 USD in 1987. League average was 160k. We don't live in the 80's, man.

You could probably assume Artemi Panarin gets paid more than an entire roster in the 80s.

Are we still under the false impression that these ad sales are going to help compensate anyone other than the C-suites?

It's HRR as on-equipment advertisement requires the game. So it's equal impact.

Even if it wasn't, so what?

Helmet ads and virtual ad slots brought in 100 million in the shortened season, and that doesn't begin to offset what was probably somewhere like 2 billion + in OI loss. If jersey ads can throw another high 8 figure number in there, why the hell not? If they can make a significant chunk of change through advertisement on jerseys, pants, and helmets, and they keep it as subtle as the helmets have been given their losses?

Sure. Why not?

Aren't you a business guy? How do you propose the league make money?
The money they are making from the advertisements on jerseys and the idiotic sponsorship of the divisions is a drop in the Grand Canyon of Revenue lost due to covid.

This is not saving the league, it's a cheap trick to get something they always wanted and fans never did, through the side door.

• Like 1

How does "focusing on the game" make you money? I'm just so confused by that statement. I don't know what it even means.

Get officiating consistent enough that folks want to bet on it would be a big win. Change rules that stunt and stifle offense. Market your stars and let them actually say things that aren't generic gobbledygook.

Stuff like that.

It's HRR as on-equipment advertisement requires the game. So it's equal impact.

Even if it wasn't, so what?

Helmet ads and virtual ad slots brought in 100 million in the shortened season, and that doesn't begin to offset what was probably somewhere like 2 billion + in OI loss. If jersey ads can throw another high 8 figure number in there, why the hell not? If they can make a significant chunk of change through advertisement on jerseys, pants, and helmets, and they keep it as subtle as the helmets have been given their losses?

Sure. Why not?

They cleverly bucketed helmet adds with virtual on Ice ads. How much does a team get for a helmet ad? I believe it's nothing close to an on Ice virtual ad.

Get officiating consistent enough that folks want to bet on it would be a big win. Change rules that stunt and stifle offense. Market your stars and let them actually say things that aren't generic gobbledygook.

Stuff like that.

And how does any of this this directly make the NHL more money exactly?

Even if the NHL was muzzling it's players and the players weren't just generic white guys with no personalities, how would their personality bring in more revenue for the NHL? How would more offense bring in revenue? Bigger tv deal? What pays for that tv deal?

say it with me:

ADVERTISING.

The 3 other major leagues in the country are bigger simply because advertising pays them more. The NFL doesn't need ads on the helmets because a single, 30 second ad for the superbowl cost millions of dollars, which goes to the network who then pays the NFL a massive TV deal. NHL doesn't have that luxury. They don't have the fanbase that the NFL has. Disney is paying the NFL 2.7 BILLION dollars. And they do one game a week lol.

Stuff like that.

And I agree.

But, top execs don’t get annual million dollar bonuses in this scenario, lol.

Even if the NHL was muzzling it's players and the players weren't just generic white guys with no personalities, how would their personality bring in more revenue for the NHL? How would more offense bring in revenue? Bigger tv deal? What pays for that tv deal?

say it with me:

ADVERTISING.

The 3 other major leagues in the country are bigger simply because advertising pays them more. The NFL doesn't need ads on the helmets because a single, 30 second ad for the superbowl cost millions of dollars, which goes to the network who then pays the NFL a massive TV deal. NHL doesn't have that luxury. They don't have the fanbase that the NFL has. Disney is paying the NFL 2.7 BILLION dollars. And they do one game a week lol.

All of that makes the game more marketable. Betting matters - ask the NFL and NBA. Big play capabilities matter - it's the sole reason the NFL basically started calling pass interference on a dime. This shit is exciting - and it makes the game more marketable.

They're also bigger because they have massive stadiums (baseball, football), amazing personalities that they actually market (basketball, football), extremely consistent betting (all of them), and international appeal to countries that have more than like 10 million people.

say it with me:

ADVERTISING.

You advertise the players, not Scotiabank, You’re richer than you think

They cleverly bucketed helmet adds with virtual on Ice ads. How much does a team get for a helmet ad? I believe it's nothing close to an on Ice virtual ad.

If the math is right, it's about 4/5ths on-ice and 1/5 helmet for that particular revenue split. Jerseys would be, I'd guess, much closer to the cost of an on-ice ad, because they'd get a walking billboard with every jersey sale.

The cheapest NBA jersey ad sale was 5 million for 2020-21; Rakuten paid Golden State 20 million for the spot on their jerseys. Surely, the NHL can see revenues across 32 franchises of something in the 100 million range+ here.