• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Salary Cap Dodging

Anyone think a rule change is coming in regards to the TBL Kucherov situation? I think this is a tricky one, but one thing is clear, which is that they cheated to manipulate their salary cap. What to do about it is different. Do they fine/penalize the lightning? Do they change the rules somehow (not sure what it'd be)? Do they do nothing? I think they have to consider action even if the ultimate outcome is nothing.

I saw him skating in person back in January. Seeing what he looked like then, I can't believe that he's even capable of playing right now. He looked terrible and also looked to be in terrible pain. But I guess that was four months ago already...

What they did is not considered a violation so I doubt there will be any fines or penalties.

Honestly I don’t see it happening often, how many stars wanna sit out the season?

Not worried about it

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Cap circumvention was not a "violation" when the backdiving contracts were handed out, yet the NHL changed the rules to retroactively penalize those teams and even took assets away from the Devils for the Kovalchuk debacle. If anything, the NHL has shown it will penalize "rule-abiding" teams just because they got caught with their pants down.

But again how many stars are willing to give up a year of their career in order to be able to play in the playoffs with a ~better team?

I don’t see this happening ever again or often anyway

apparently at least 2 lol

i dont doubt that Stamkos and Kucherov were injured. obviously they were. I don't think they faked an injury. But I do wonder if they decided to keep the players out longer than needed to accommodate the salary cap constraints.

I can't see any kind of rule change that players on IR would still count against the cap. That could lead to teams not being able to call up a replacement.

I think this ends up just being a rule that people live with and exploit. Its not like teams are gonna have guys that get 'injured' every season and only come in for playoffs or anything like that

apparently at least 2 lol

i dont doubt that Stamkos and Kucherov were injured. obviously they were. I don't think they faked an injury. But I do wonder if they decided to keep the players out longer than needed to accommodate the salary cap constraints.

I can't see any kind of rule change that players on IR would still count against the cap. That could lead to teams not being able to call up a replacement.

I think this ends up just being a rule that people live with and exploit. Its not like teams are gonna have guys that get 'injured' every season and only come in for playoffs or anything like that

or teams could exploit someone's injury and put him on IR just before the trade deadline. Add a player whom otherwise you couldnt add because of the cap, and then take off the 'injured' player right after the regular season ends.

But again how many stars are willing to give up a year of their career in order to be able to play in the playoffs with a ~better team?

I don’t see this happening ever again or often anyway

Yeah I'm not seeing this argument really. You need to miss at least ten games and 24days due to "injury". A team already with a good chance of making the playoffs can very easily be imagined sitting one of their guys who is a little banged up for a while, and bringing them back after adding a rental. It's exactly what Tampa did in sitting Kucherov and Stamkos absolutely longer than necessary. It's cheating, really, akin to players diving. Ten games in a normal season is not even that many.

The question is more is it a big enough problem to do something about it. Xander's point about the Devils contract is a great analog, and I was imagining something similar happening here, even if it's just a number of games played qualification or something similar. You don't want to prevent players who are legitimately injured from coming back, but you do want to prevent teams from cheating the cap.

I could imagine a "payback" scenario, where if you go over the cap by X dollars for one postseason due to LTIR you have to be under the cap by the same amount of dollars the following season. Alternatively you could have teams forfeit draft picks akin to Offer Sheet compensation somehow proportional to the amount of dollars over. That would allow the players to come back, since that's good for the game, but dissuade teams from the practice.

Yeah I'm not seeing this argument really. You need to miss at least ten games and 24days due to "injury".

I’m not a cap expert by any means so I could be wrong but is that not just the qualifier to put someone on LTIR? After that the cap hit is a percentage of how much time is actually played during the season vs being on LTIR.

In other words if Kuch missed a month, the cap relief is minimal. You’d have to basically miss a serious portion of the season to be able to sign someone else?

I’m not a cap expert by any means so I could be wrong but is that not just the qualifier to put someone on LTIR? After that the cap hit is a percentage of how much time is actually played during the season vs being on LTIR.

In other words if Kuch missed a month, the cap relief is minimal. You’d have to basically miss a serious portion of the season to be able to sign someone else?

That may be true in the regular season (not sure), but there is no salary cap in the playoffs, which is the main concern I have.

Similar to Justin Williams sitting out the beginning of the season in 19/20, then signing for a $700k bonus laden deal in January.

Shouldn't be able to sign UFA's mid season, and should need to play in a minimum number of regular season games to qualify to play in the playoffs.

You have to be added before the deadline to be eligible.

Minimum games wouldn't work because no one's taxi squad would be available unless the minimum games threshold was something like 5.