• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Artemi Panarin Suffers Lower-Body Injury; Out for Remainder of Season

Phil

This may seem silly, but something I've seen in the past, both in the NHL and on teams I was on, is when you're getting trucked, and you have no obvious immediate response available, Quinn should have been up Laviolettes dick. Put that behavior on the other coach.

I didn't see any bench action, maybe it happened, but they didn't show anything. If I were Quinn I would have went ballistic on Laviolette, even if they're friends.

Sounds like you want John Tortorella back behind the bench. There's not many coaches in the league that would do that.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Torts would be the first move I make as soon as this season is over. Bring him back this team needs accountability and a will to battle. Torts may not win us a cup but he'll develop the structure needed for the next guy

Torts would be the first move I make as soon as this season is over. Bring him back this team needs accountability and a will to battle. Torts may not win us a cup but he'll develop the structure needed for the next guy

I love Torts but I don't think he's a good fit for this team. He's a dump and chase kind of guy. He's good at working with nothing and shaping it into something. We have a lot of talented players who are already rebelling against DQs message of dump and chase.

He was good at developing that structure when he was here. It then faded over the last few years, before disappearing entirely. They need that moxie back. A roster shakeup couldn't hurt either.

I love Torts but I don't think he's a good fit for this team. He's a dump and chase kind of guy. He's good at working with nothing and shaping it into something. We have a lot of talented players who are already rebelling against DQs message of dump and chase.

Which is honestly good to see. Even the rookies are like, "WTF am I doing this!?". We know the veterans aren't thrilled with him either.

Didn't he coach a pretty skilled Lightning though? I thought he only changed his style when he realized his Rangers roster didn't have enough talent and could only win with that dump and chase grind it out style.

• Like 1

Didn't he coach a pretty skilled Lightning though? I thought he only changed his style when he realized his Rangers roster didn't have enough talent and could only win with that dump and chase grind it out style.

That Lightning team was both very skilled and very gritty.

Brad Richards and MSL and Lecavalier and Boyle, sure, but also Andreychuk and Tim Taylor and Cory Sarich.

I'd 100% bring Torts back with this team. He'd have a field day with the skill and he'd push for exactly the grit he needs.

100%

The NHL should make it so that we're not sitting here wondering why nobody ran at Backstrom as if that's a logical outcome. Should have thrown the book at Wilson instead of basically telling the Rangers that they can do whatever they want tomorrow and it'll just cost them a fraction of their salary and two points in a meaningless game.

That's horrendous brand management from the central office.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Agreed. Wilson has all the tools except common sense and how to get the point across to Panarin buch or Strome without a judo throw or punches to thier defenseless bodies.

No enforcer is going to deter Tom Wilson - he's a unicorn amongst NHL players. Maybe other players but not him. The DPS should be doing that and they've failed to this point, obviously.

The thing is that I'm a huge Wilson fan. I think he's a special hockey player in the sense that there aren't many, if any, players like him. Exactly the player every team needs and wants because they're impossible to find. I don't want the league penalizing his physicality because it being in the game is good. But this after the whistle violence, because that's all it is, is really where I'd draw the line. It's a street fight what he's doing there, not hockey. You want to run players and sometimes go over the line while you're trying to play hockey, that's fine with me. Sometimes officials will get it right, sometimes they won't. But this is just street fighting and that's where I really would love to see him reigned in a bit. It's senseless for players to get hurt in situations like that.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The NHL should make it so that we're not sitting here wondering why nobody ran at Backstrom as if that's a logical outcome. Should have thrown the book at Wilson instead of basically telling the Rangers that they can do whatever they want tomorrow and it'll just cost them a fraction of their salary and two points in a meaningless game.

That's horrendous brand management from the central office.

Well it's a nationally televised game on NBCSN so maybe the NHL figures it'll bring them good ratings over anticipation of which one of the Capitals key players the Rangers decide to take out in revenge!

Yeah, they should have had DeAngelo on the ice so we'd have had three players get their asses handed to them by Tom Wilson instead of two!

Guy loses a one-punch fight with his backup goalie and we're bringing this back up in a thread around an opponent crossing a line that gets crossed like once a decade in the league. As if somehow not planning for an opponent having a psychotic breakdown on the ice is the fault of anyone but the player who had the breakdown.

Deterrence DOES NOT WORK with this guy. He'd have done this to Mark Stone, even if Reaves was right there. He'd have done it to Gaudreau even with Tkachuk. Pretending anything changes that outcome is folly.

Well it's just disturbing how riled up the name gers some people. The point wasn't how DeAngelo would have fought him (which... he probably would have), but more about how the teams philosophy of being goody 2 shoes filters down from THAT moment this season. They play with no grit, no balls, react to nothing and THATS how they apparently want it.

I honestly don't know who thinks about DeAngelo more. Those who like him or the other group.

Well it's just disturbing how riled up the name gers some people. The point wasn't how DeAngelo would have fought him (which... he probably would have), but more about how the teams philosophy of being goody 2 shoes filters down from THAT moment this season. They play with no grit, no balls, react to nothing and THATS how they apparently want it.

I honestly don't know who thinks about DeAngelo more. Those who like him or the other group.

I agree. I don't see what the problem is in acknowledging that the team had a little more attitude and grit when DeAngelo was in it. But just the mere mention of his name is triggering. It's basically synonymous with Voldemort at this point.

I agree. I don't see what the problem is in acknowledging that the team had a little more attitude and grit when DeAngelo was in it. But just the mere mention of his name is triggering. It's basically synonymous with Voldemort at this point.

i think the team lost some of its edge when they lost him and lemieux, sure. I dont think Gorts has had the opportunity to address it yet but this team will get tougher in the off season I am sure.

With that said, DeAngelo isnt doing anything to Wilson any more so than Smith who was in the lineup last night, did. Its a moot point.

Nothing would've stopped Panarin getting ragdolled anyway because whatever 4th line tough guy plug we had wouldn't be on the ice in that situation anyway. Wilson's not gonna think "oh no Georges Laraque is gonna come after me if I sucker punch Buchnevich and then wreck Panarin's day" anyway.

Trouba or Lindgren would've been those guys if they weren't out. I was expecting Brendan Smith to be that guy sometime the rest of the game, instead he made a slick cross-ice pass to assist the GWG.

I don't agree. Why isn't he doing this every game then? Yes he has a history, but maybe we should look deeper into that history. Maybe later I'll pull up all his suspensions and see what teams they were against and who was on their roster as any kind of deterrent.

Something in this guys head led him to thinking he can do that and then later on boast about it. Not one player stepped up to him. None. A slash, a butt end, a hit from behind, a cheap jab after the whistle. Nothing. I think he was quite aware that he wouldn't be in any danger, with just Smith-whom is the lone veteran D man logging minutes on the team, who couldn't risk being off the ice for a penalty- as the ONLY obstacle.

Nah, it's not. It's the insistence that he did nothing wrong — that he's the victim, that we have a problem with. That the repeated warnings from management and him fighting his own team mate were all somehow the coach's fault because he got benched for slamming a penalty box door.

No one has a problem with his name, or the assessments of him as a player. I actually agree with the idea that he played with the kind of attitude the team seems bereft of right now. What we have a problem with is this endless attempt to reframe the narrative to paint him as a victim. He's not one, and if he is, he's a victim of his own behavior.

Because they didn't. They got crushed in their first six games, save for one game where he sat and we blanked the Isles.

I don't understand why he comes up in toughness conversations. It's just bait and switch thinking.

potentially.

I still say you take out a teammate of his. You target the shit out of a guy like Carlson. And every time, you let the entire Caps bench know why their best Dman will be injured for the playoffs.

If Kreider dresses, you have him run their goalie. Like RUN him.

This may seem silly, but something I've seen in the past, both in the NHL and on teams I was on, is when you're getting trucked, and you have no obvious immediate response available, Quinn should have been up Laviolettes dick. Put that behavior on the other coach.

I didn't see any bench action, maybe it happened, but they didn't show anything. If I were Quinn I would have went ballistic on Laviolette, even if they're friends.

I was thinking something like this and it sucks because I think Laviolette is a really good coach and I'm pissed the Rangers just seem to miss the boat every time he becomes available. But you need to have some words with the other bench here in this situation.

My point isn't even anything to do with DeAngelos "grit". Just that the Rangers want a neutered, team of good guys. DeAngelo wouldn't have made a difference in.this situation.

The teams and management's mindset of keeping it clean and focusing on being the good guy and least controversial by not playing with emotion is seriously where I was going with my point. More worried about some classy reputation than they are with building a team that can compete in different ways, including when it can get edgy.

Tom Wilson's suspensions

"Tom Wilson NHL discipline history: Fines, suspensions, other hits" https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/05/04/tom-wilson-nhl-discipline-history-fines-suspensions-other-hits/amp/

2017- Blues, whom had nobody edgy to deter Wilson.

2018- playoffs against the Blue Jackets, and Penguins. Neither had anyone to really counter him. In the finals he got what was coming to him as Ryan Reeves returned the favor after Wilson took a shot at Marchessault.

He ran a guy that following preseason against the Blues again.

Early this year he took out Carlo, which im surprised didn't initiate the other piece of shit in the league..

So, it's not like he has had to have ANY fear of retaliation and when he did, he got it, except against the Bruins, but let's see if that plays out in the playoffs or the final game of their season to set any kind of playoff tone.

Tom Wilson's suspensions

"Tom Wilson NHL discipline history: Fines, suspensions, other hits" https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/05/04/tom-wilson-nhl-discipline-history-fines-suspensions-other-hits/amp/

2017- Blues, whom had nobody edgy to deter Wilson.

2018- playoffs against the Blue Jackets, and Penguins. Neither had anyone to really counter him. In the finals he got what was coming to him as Ryan Reeves returned the favor after Wilson took a shot at Marchessault.

He ran a guy that following preseason against the Blues again.

Early this year he took out Carlo, which im surprised didn't initiate the other piece of shit in the league..

So, it's not like he has had to have ANY fear of retaliation and when he did, he got it, except against the Bruins, but let's see if that plays out in the playoffs or the final game of their season to set any kind of playoff tone.

Or, and here's an idea, maybe Tom Wilson shouldn't need a deterrent to behave like a goddamn grown ass man and not play like a dirt bag.

The Rangers were asking for it because they weren't well defensed enough. Good god. This wasn't a hockey play.