• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shake Up Coming After No Show

Capt

The hard part of this is identifying the player that steps in and does it. We're almost assuredly looking for a two-way center who can go toe-to-toe with Strome's production and makes us gritty and tough?

Might as well be looking for unicorn cum in Eritrea.

Dubois. Wasn't that hard. And I didn't even have to touch the stuff.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Faceoffs have been bad for years, but I think they may have hit a new low this year, which is saying something. It's been neglected for quite some time.

And I just don't get why it's so bad and I know it's not always on the centers on winning the faceoffs the linemates need to help out, but they just suck

Rangers are not built for playoff hockey. They feast on wide open spaces and seam passes, two things that simply don't exist in the playoffs (or in our case, against a playoff team).

They're not physical enough and therefore they don't create room for themselves. This has been the case since the bubble when we were embarrassed in 3 straight that looked an awful lot like last night.

Rangers brass isn't stupid though. They knew this wasn't a playoff team. That's why they have Kravstov on the 4th line and not Matt Martin. This summer will be the summer of change. Next season they will be expected to make the playoffs.

Rangers are not built for playoff hockey. They feast on wide open spaces and seam passes, two things that simply don't exist in the playoffs (or in our case, against a playoff team).

Yes

They're not physical enough and therefore they don't create room for themselves. This has been the case since the bubble when we were embarrassed in 3 straight that looked an awful lot like last night. .

Yes

Rangers brass isn't stupid though. They knew this wasn't a playoff team. That's why they have Kravstov on the 4th line and not Matt Martin. This summer will be the summer of change. Next season they will be expected to make the playoffs.

Yes, but I don't see any change with the head coach which I'm okay with that for now.

Yes

Yes

Yes, but I don't see any change with the head coach which I'm okay with that for now.

I don't see Quinn getting the can. But if the team is hovering around .500 again for the first two months like they have in every one of Quinn's seasons, he'll be out. I'd be shocked if there weren't big moves this summer and bigger expectations next season

He has the same number of points as.... Chytil

0.54 P/GP, down from back-to-back 0.70+ seasons with Columbus. I trust his upside a helluva lot more than I do the idea that Chytil will ever reach the same heights.

Here's a crazier stat — they're the same size, but you'd never believe it, because Chytil plays like he's 5'8, 170lbs.

And then you accidentally stumbled here https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/22554

Not saying we need a fighter, but they need a fucking big dude that plays bigger.

The point stands that you're looking for a unicorn, you know? The guy we're asking for here is a truly rare talent - can score at a point a game, win faceoffs, play all situations, is a mean, nasty motherfucker who makes space and commands the ice.

Forget right now - how many players have EVER fit this bill? Maybe 10?

The obvious call here is to sacrifice Strome's offense for something else, but the sort of player we're asking for is an exceedingly rare player.

We should have signed Matt Martin. I said it over the summer. I still think it's true. He's an expensive 4th liner but he's basically exactly what they need at the bottom of the lineup.

I dont think so. Ideally, you want 4 lines, and this team will have the depth to put skilled forwards there. You need guys that can play, or else its more Kravtsov with Rooney and Howden.

0.54 P/GP, down from back-to-back 0.70+ seasons with Columbus. I trust his upside a helluva lot more than I do the idea that Chytil will ever reach the same heights.

Here's a crazier stat — they're the same size, but you'd never believe it, because Chytil plays like he's 5'8, 170lbs.

I think there's a possibility that the Rangers make a deal this summer that looks like a "downgrade" on paper but boosts the overall team game. Chytil for instance, I think, is a good candidate to get traded for a meatier player who can do more.

The hard part of this is identifying the player that steps in and does it. We're almost assuredly looking for a two-way center who can go toe-to-toe with Strome's production and makes us gritty and tough?

The point stands that you're looking for a unicorn, you know? The guy we're asking for here is a truly rare talent - can score at a point a game, win faceoffs, play all situations, is a mean, nasty motherfucker who makes space and commands the ice.

Forget right now - how many players have EVER fit this bill? Maybe 10?

The obvious call here is to sacrifice Strome's offense for something else, but the sort of player we're asking for is an exceedingly rare player.

Basically .....That's Messier! ;)

I dont think so. Ideally, you want 4 lines, and this team will have the depth to put skilled forwards there. You need guys that can play, or else its more Kravtsov with Rooney and Howden.

Isn't Kravstov with Howden exactly "depth to put skilled forwards there?"

We don't need, nor want skilled guys on the 4th line. We need heavy guys who can chip the puck deep and smash the opposing defense, and keep the puck out of our own end for a minute. Howden and Rooney's shifts are generally pinned in their own end with a rush the other way at the end of the shift. Players like Martin give the team a different look on the 4th line.

I think there's a possibility that the Rangers make a deal this summer that looks like a "downgrade" on paper but boosts the overall team game. Chytil for instance, I think, is a good candidate to get traded for a meatier player who can do more.

get to know Nolan Patrick.

Isn't Kravstov with Howden exactly "depth to put skilled forwards there?"

We don't need, nor want skilled guys on the 4th line. We need heavy guys who can chip the puck deep and smash the opposing defense, and keep the puck out of our own end for a minute. Howden and Rooney's shifts are generally pinned in their own end with a rush the other way at the end of the shift. Players like Martin give the team a different look on the 4th line.

yeah, do you like that? lol

you want heavy guys throughout the line up. If you stack 3 lines, I'm fine with a goon line that rarely plays. Now, is that realistic?

You don't need somebody who is going to equal Strome's production. You need somebody who can equal Strome's ice time. Of course you are looking for somebody who isn't Howden. A guy with some offensive abilities but most importantly can take the tough matchups and play a straight line game that competes for every inch of 200 feet.

Strome surely benefits a lot from Panarin. He's not solely reliant on him but his production would surely drop by probably 20 pts over 82 games without him. His likely demotion to the second pp will also cause a big drop. He will be dropped because Laffy and Kakko no less Kravtsov are going to see pp time. Some of them 1st pp time minutes.

Aside from that Strome is constantly heralded as one of the leaders of the team. Meaning what? For what I can see their leadership is a big part of the problem. Hell Kreider and Strome's lack of discipline and lazy penalties have plagued this team forever. I don't know how they communicate in the locker room but their example on the ice is not exactly great leadership.

Finally I would also imagine some of Strome's lost production would be made up on the wing. Laffy, Kakko, and Kravtsov are going to be 50 pt guys you would think which would be big increases in production from what they offer now. This team does not have a offensive talent shortage ahead of itself. It has a compete problem and that is squarely on the vets in the room.

yeah, do you like that? lol

you want heavy guys throughout the line up. If you stack 3 lines, I'm fine with a goon line that rarely plays. Now, is that realistic?

Who said anything about a goon line? They need a forth line who actually knows how to win faceoffs, forecheck, hit people, and wear down the opposing D in their own end.

They also need heavy guys throughout the lineup. It's not one or the other.

It's Messier, Ted Lindsay...that's about it.

Of course, you can make a few changes and get elements from multiple players, but there's not a magic bullet player out there.

maybe they get a stop-gap like Getzlaf.

Similar to how Toronto grabbed Thornton.

Who said anything about a goon line? They need a forth line who actually knows how to win faceoffs, forecheck, hit people, and wear down the opposing D in their own end.

They also need heavy guys throughout the lineup. It's not one or the other.

As I mentioned, they should continue to have enough skilled guys where someone will be on the 4th line. Do you really want a line of Howden-Rooney-Kravtsov to common?

Any scenario in my head where I try to upgrade the team by moving someone, Chytil is the the guy to go. Makes the most sense.

As I mentioned, they should continue to have enough skilled guys where someone will be on the 4th line. Do you really want a line of Howden-Rooney-Kravtsov to common?

I have no idea what your point is. You saying you want skilled guys to trickle down to the 4th line (which is what we have right now with Kravstov on the 4th line) and then saying you don't want Kravstov on the 4th line.