• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why Did the Rangers Do A Half-Measure in Firing AV, but Keep Gorton?

Stephen

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many teams have you ever see do that especially before unloading pieces? It was a dumb thing to do. There is zero way of knowing it had no effect on his trade positions. Most GMs won't even tell the public is one player we all know is going to be traded is on the block let alone an entire team. I prefer the Lou Lamorello way of saying nothing and letting the results speak for your intentions.
It's actually not uncommon for all the GMs know when a team is open for business.

It's actually not uncommon for all the GMs know when a team is open for business.

And it’s actually not uncommon for GMs to not announce it to the world but it’s not a huge deal either way. Still doesn’t mean it was a necessary part of a rebuild.

And it’s actually not uncommon for GMs to not announce it to the world but it’s not a huge deal either way. Still doesn’t mean it was a necessary part of a rebuild.

You're right, they don't send letters to fans. But they do tell other GMs. Fans don't determine player value, so struggling to see your point here.

It was an over payment at the time.

By a lot in my mind. We gave up a 24 year old guy that had 40 points in 63 games, was nearly a 55% win from the dot, was near the top of the team in hits, etc. It just made no sense getting rid of him at that time. It’s not the end of the world. Not even gm wins every trade but I don’t think it’s difficult to see how that trade was a head scratcher even at the time. I even remember us saying it then, especially with Namestnikov. We all were saying he was a product of being on Tampa and not reflective of actually being anything special.

You're right, they don't send letters to fans. But they do tell other GMs. Fans don't determine player value, so struggling to see your point here.

Well, I’m not a fan of painting yourself in a corner when it’s unecessary but it’s all good. We don’t have to agree. Different strokes.

Well, I’m not a fan of painting yourself in a corner when it’s unecessary but it’s all good. We don’t have to agree. Different strokes.

I guess? I'm just saying it's not a disadvantage because other GMs likely already knew this was happening. The letter was simply for the fans. And this happens all the time (other GMs knowing).

31 Thoughts talks all the time about GMs letting each other know early that they are open for business. Why do you think the trade deadline has become trash lately? The deals get done early because everyone knows.

I guess? I'm just saying it's not a disadvantage because other GMs likely already knew this was happening. The letter was simply for the fans. And this happens all the time (other GMs knowing).

31 Thoughts talks all the time about GMs letting each other know early that they are open for business. Why do you think the trade deadline has become trash lately? The deals get done early because everyone knows.

I get what you are saying. I really do. I just don’t think it’s a great idea regardless, especially when other GMs have a chance to see that weeks in advance. It just adds a layer that never needed adding. I think part of that can be reflected on the Tampa trade. But that’s just my opinion. We can not agree. It’s fine. Not our first disagreement lol

I get what you are saying. I really do. I just don’t think it’s a great idea regardless, especially when other GMs have a chance to see that weeks in advance. It just adds a layer that never needed adding. I think part of that can be reflected on the Tampa trade. But that’s just my opinion. We can not agree. It’s fine. Not our first disagreement lol

I mean, if you want to disagree with 30 other GMs (except LAM lol)...Do you, homie! ;)

I mean, if you want to disagree with 30 other GMs (except LAM lol)...Do you, homie! ;)

Actually, I’m pretty sure I’m just disagreeing with one dude on the internet but will do. I’ll just go with the track record of how infrequent it is for teams to do what Gorton did. :)

He actually got a lot of praise for doing the letter, but it certainly adds an extra layer of pressure to follow through. You know, if he didn't send the letter he could have decided to hold off until the summer or something, but when the letter went out, teams knew he had to get it done by the deadline. McDonagh had another year left. It didn't have to get done right away.

He actually got a lot of praise for doing the letter, but it certainly adds an extra layer of pressure to follow through. You know, if he didn't send the letter he could have decided to hold off until the summer or something, but when the letter went out, teams knew he had to get it done by the deadline. McDonagh had another year left. It didn't have to get done right away.

Like I doubt gms lined up thinking they can fleece Gorton all of a sudden but at the time of the letter they were a game or two above .500. It’s not like they were the bottom dwellers. I applaud the team for seeing the writing on the wall. Just as I said, it didn’t make sense to announce it before like that. It doesn’t help leverage, even if privately they were already fielding calls from some teams.

Actually, I’m pretty sure I’m just disagreeing with one dude on the internet but will do. I’ll just go with the track record of how infrequent it is for teams to do what Gorton did. :)
I dunno if you're intentionally missing the point?

What's infrequent? A letter to fans? OK.

Did it put him at a disadvantage? No.

You're making a non issue your hill to die on.

I dunno if you're intentionally missing the point?

What's infrequent? A letter to fans? OK.

Did it put him at a disadvantage? No.

You're making a non issue your hill to die on.

Stop. No, I’m giving my opinion. So are you. I don’t get where you have this notion that your opinion is any more than an opinion. I also don’t know why you keep at it. You’ve given me yours. I’ve given you mine. You think it’s a non issue. I think it was a stupid thing to do at the time because we will never k ow if it put him at any disadvantage when negotiating a trade. Is there anything more to discuss or are we just trying to argue to argue?

• Like 2

I don't understand the issue with the letter.

Do we think that, in an alternative reality where the letter doesn't happen, Gorton gets on the horn to Yzerman and goes "Hey Steve, we're not rebuilding or anything like that but would you be interested in taking our team captain and 2nd line center for prospects and picks"?

Every GM knows which team is open for business and which isn't. The letter didn't change any of that nor did it it force the issue with the McD trade. If they didn't like the return they could've waited until the summer. The problem is, they liked the return but completely missed their evaluations on Hajek and Howden.

Gorton is pretty much an ok GM to me. He's done a lot of good things that are offset by some bonehead decisions and trades. The restocking of the cupboards has been handled efficiently on paper, and ultimately he will be judged on how this team looks in a couple of years time.

Stop. No, I’m giving my opinion. So are you. I don’t get where you have this notion that your opinion is any more than an opinion. I also don’t know why you keep at it. You’ve given me yours. I’ve given you mine. You think it’s a non issue. I think it was a stupid thing to do at the time because we will never k ow if it put him at any disadvantage when negotiating a trade. Is there anything more to discuss or are we just trying to argue to argue?

You're the only one arguing, homie. You're saying that it's your opinion that a letter to fans put him at a disadvantage. That's just wrong. The GMS all talk to each other and they know who are buyers and who are sellers. They might not know who specifically is available, but they know who's making moves to add or remove.

Anybody can say they have an opinion on anything but if there's no evidence supporting it and it's not rooted in fact, it's not a very strong opinion.

I don't understand the issue with the letter.

Do we think that, in an alternative reality where the letter doesn't happen, Gorton gets on the horn to Yzerman and goes "Hey Steve, we're not rebuilding or anything like that but would you be interested in taking our team captain and 2nd line center for prospects and picks"?

Every GM knows which team is open for business and which isn't. The letter didn't change any of that nor did it it force the issue with the McD trade. If they didn't like the return they could've waited until the summer. The problem is, they liked the return but completely missed their evaluations on Hajek and Howden.

Gorton is pretty much an ok GM to me. He's done a lot of good things that are offset by some bonehead decisions and trades. The restocking of the cupboards has been handled efficiently on paper, and ultimately he will be judged on how this team looks in a couple of years time.

Bingo.

He's not what I'd call a saavy GM. Has he ever landed a player that nobody thought we could get? Has he ever moved the player that we didn't think would be moved? He just makes the play that's right in front of him. It's all very obvious shit.

As far as the "arguing to argue" crap, if somebody says it's their opinion that humans breathe underwater, I'm going to argue that opinion. It's not arguing just to argue when the other person won't admit they're wrong. They're the one arguing just to argue.

You're the only one arguing, homie. You're saying that it's your opinion that a letter to fans put him at a disadvantage. That's just wrong. The GMS all talk to each other and they know who are buyers and who are sellers. They might not know who specifically is available, but they know who's making moves to add or remove.

Anybody can say they have an opinion on anything but if there's no evidence supporting it and it's not rooted in fact, it's not a very strong opinion.

Oncwe again, thank you for your opinion on the matter home slice. And I'm really sorry you somehow equate an opinion on good negotiation tactics with biological functions? I'd say we are done here.

Oncwe again, thank you for your opinion on the matter home slice. And I'm really sorry you somehow equate an opinion on good negotiation tactics with biological functions? I'd say we are done here.

Yea, I think we established the letter didn't have any impact on negotiations, because it's based on a wild assumption that the team told fans before telling other teams, which would make both Sather and Gorton the most inept pair in the history of sports management, so yes... Seems like we are done here.