• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Zac Jones to 3-Year ELC ($832.5K AAV); Will Report Immediately

Blue Heaven

If Jones and Lundkvist join the mix, Trouba is supremely valuable along with Smith (if resigned). It would be very disappointing if this team didn't make the playoffs next season, so a defense with an average age of 22 is actually not that exciting to me. That was exciting three years ago, but we're past the stage of just being young for the sake of it. The best teams have veteran players. I hope they can bring in some experienced players this summer to mix in.

It wouldn't shock me if Jones ultimately gets dangled as part of a package for a center. We'd essentially have 3 potentially legit PP QBs in Fox, Lundqvist, and Jones and we can't use 'em all - and we'd STILL have a logjam on D. I have a fantasy that somehow Stevie Y lets go of Dylan Larkin for Jones, Chytil, and something else, maybe Gauthier-ish. But, I know, very unlikely.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I saw form Jones he is going to be an impactful NHL player. Great powerful skater with incredible hands. Seems like he's always jumping into the play. Interested to see if he's free to roam by Quinn. Almost seems very much like a lefty Deangelo

It wouldn't shock me if Jones ultimately gets dangled as part of a package for a center. We'd essentially have 3 potentially legit PP QBs in Fox, Lundqvist, and Jones and we can't use 'em all - and we'd STILL have a logjam on D. I have a fantasy that somehow Stevie Y lets go of Dylan Larkin for Jones, Chytil, and something else, maybe Gauthier-ish. But, I know, very unlikely.

I don't see that as unlikely as you may think. The Wings are headed towards closing out their 5th straight losing season; Larkin is going to be 25 this Summer, and will need to be resigned after the 22-23 season. While Detroit's prospect pool is highly regarded, most of their top prospects are 1-2 years away(Raymond, Seider, Veleno). Does it make sense to resign Larkin to a big money contract when they are this far away from competing?

Your proposal of Jones, Chytil, Gauthier would certainly give them some young NHL ready talent(TBD on Jones) to be more in accordance with the timeline of their prospect pool. If you sweetened it with this year's first, which is generally considered a weak draft that Rangers are unlikely to find immediate help at 2C, I think Yzerman would have to give it serious consideration. Then again, he is a pain in the ass to cut deals with, and would want something stupid like K' Andre Miller thrown in which would tank the deal.

From what I saw form Jones he is going to be an impactful NHL player. Great powerful skater with incredible hands. Seems like he's always jumping into the play. Interested to see if he's free to roam by Quinn. Almost seems very much like a lefty Deangelo

I'm not saying he's not good. It was a truly phenomenal pick. So is Lundqvist. I'm just saying we have more of that particular kind of good than we can effectively use and we may need to deploy some of it to beef up down the middle.

As for the short term, I can see Quinn scratching Hajek and keeping Smith in the lineup to get Jones in. I appreciate that Smith has been passable this year, but let's not get carried away. I can't see inserting him over a younger player, even if we are in playoff contention.

If they are still in it after 10 games, I don't think this kid gets a sniff unless there's an injury. What's the sense in this move? Really don't understand it. They have plenty of options on D if they need to. Why waste a year of ELC to get such a small look at the kid, if he can even crack the lineup in a potential playoff push? If he were a physical force, I'd get it, but another puck mover? Maybe I'm unaware of how much hype is behind him.

If they are still in it after 10 games, I don't think this kid gets a sniff unless there's an injury. What's the sense in this move? Really don't understand it. They have plenty of options on D if they need to. Why waste a year of ELC to get such a small look at the kid, if he can even crack the lineup in a potential playoff push? If he were a physical force, I'd get it, but another puck mover? Maybe I'm unaware of how much hype is behind him.
Weren't you just arguing that they should claim Sami Vatanen off waivers?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah agree with this.

Next season is playoffs or bust. Although I love Lundkvist, Jones and the rest of the guys, we gonna need some experience.

Fox and Lindgren will be in year 3/4 and will already have a top top season in the bag, but we need more than that.

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Lundkvist

Jones - Trouba

That lineup should make the playoffs and also be hella funny to watch. I cant wait to watch all those young guys play, learn and turn into good NHL players. If 1, 2 or even 3 of those guys busts we have like 4 other exciting D prospects.

We deserve this after the last few years. Some of those D lines we’ve seen recently has been brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I honestly think next season can go either way, either they make the playoffs or they actually take a step backwards. The young 'uns look good this season, in a 56 game season playing a handful of teams (some of which suck). Next season, God willing, it'll be a full 82 game grind against some very good teams these kids haven't seen yet. These kids get more experience next season and it'll be the following season where they can make some real noise.

I honestly think next season can go either way, either they make the playoffs or they actually take a step backwards. The young 'uns look good this season, in a 56 game season playing a handful of teams (some of which suck). Next season, God willing, it'll be a full 82 game grind against some very good teams these kids haven't seen yet. These kids get more experience next season and it'll be the following season where they can make some real noise.

Yeah but they will also play a lot more shit teams.

Im a bit confused. Is he coming here for this year and will play? How long did it take Kravtsov to crack this lineup after finishing his KHL season? Thought Quinn needs a lot of practices first?
Didn't even make it a page LOL [emoji23]