• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#15) Rangers @ Philadelphia Flyers // Smoking That Lemon Kevin Haze

Drew a Penalty

Is it time to start getting concerned about Lafreniere? I'm actively hunting for him on the ice and still struggle to find him. I turn on NHL Network this morning and see Tim Stutzle doing this: [video=youtube;q68z-N4em4w]

Just once I'd like to see some signs of the high end skill. If we've seen it this year, I've already forgotten about it. Obviously, these issues pale in comparison to Zib right now, but I'm starting to get concerned.

Here's the thing: Stutzle is a -14.

If a rookie on the rangers was a -14 through 14 games, they'd be getting 9 minutes a night, not 16.

You simply can't compare our top picks to others. The Rangers have decided they care about defense over anything else.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The PP goal they scored last night was not off a slap shot. Kreider sucks in front of the net and Zib can't shoot. PP struggles are not on Fox.

How anyone can see Fox as an issue at any facet of the game, is beyond me. He's the best dman on the team by a mile in every zone. you don't need a chris pronger slapshot to run a PP.

Here's the thing: Stutzle is a -14.

If a rookie on the rangers was a -14 through 14 games, they'd be getting 9 minutes a night, not 16.

You simply can't compare our top picks to others. The Rangers have decided they care about defense over anything else.

Ottawa has also played the second most games at 19 and have 9 points...

Right. Which is the environment MOST top picks go into. Horrendous teams.

But hey, maybe one day Stutzle and Tkachuk will both score 100 points and fail to make the playoffs like McDavid and Draisaitl. Or never win a playoff series like Matthews and Marner.

It took Stamkos and Hedman a decade to win a cup. We need to settle down with 15 games of Laf v. Stutzle.

• Like 1

Georgiev had a real solid game last night. Not many shots but the shots that made it through were tough. Loved his little celly after the shootout as well.

I caught that too, Browny!! I love shit like that!!! ....Did you see Laffy jump into Blackwell's arms when he made that slick deflection on the PP goal?? Fucking priceless!!!

Better get used to that, because we're gonna see that kid light up this city one day!!!

I am concerned.

Look at the videos in this article (you can ignore the text, it's irrelevant):

https://theathletic.com/1713841/2020/10/06/pronmans-scouting-report-why-alexis-lafreniere-is-a-top-nhl-prospect/

Obviously he's doing those things against a variety of lesser opponents, but we're not even seeing him try what made him special at the NHL level. He's a JAG - a dump and chase machine.

Maybe he's too afraid of making a mistake, maybe he can't think the game fast enough yet, maybe he's too afraid of getting his head taken off. There's absolutely nothing encouraging about his play right now. The sky is not falling - we saw Kakko have a horrendous rookie season and he looks much improved after 15 games. But at least Kakko was putting up some points - Lafreni?re has 0 regulation points!!!

I'm not concerned about Lafreniere the player. He's got too much money in the bank as one of the best CHL players we've ever seen. I'm concerned about what it is that causes this to happen.

If you picked Stutzle #1oa this draft the entire global hockey community would have collectively gone down in a state of shock and disbelief. If you picked, I dunno, Kirby Dach or Dylan Cozens over Kakko last year the same would've happened.

Why is Stutzle playing with all the freedom in the world whilst Alexis Lafreniere is on pins and needles and quite frankly doesn't look like he's enjoying playing hockey in his rookie NHL season? Why is that a mirror image of Kaapo Kakko's rookie season?

I don't know the answer, but I do know it's time to ask some tough questions.

I caught that too, Browny!! I love shit like that!!! ....Did you see Laffy jump into Blackwell's arms when he made that slick deflection on the PP goal?? Fucking priceless!!!

Better get used to that, because we're gonna see that kid light up this city one day!!!

Yeah, seeing Laffy getting excited/happy gives you hope the lockerroom isn't as morose as we may think. I keep picturing a resting Buch face after every game.

I'm not concerned about Lafreniere the player. He's got too much money in the bank as one of the best CHL players we've ever seen. I'm concerned about what it is that causes this to happen.

If you picked Stutzle #1oa this draft the entire global hockey community would have collectively gone down in a state of shock and disbelief. If you picked, I dunno, Kirby Dach or Dylan Cozens over Kakko last year the same would've happened.

Why is Stutzle playing with all the freedom in the world whilst Alexis Lafreniere is on pins and needles and quite frankly doesn't look like he's enjoying playing hockey in his rookie NHL season? Why is that a mirror image of Kaapo Kakko's rookie season?

Because Ottawa is dead last and no one cares about their results? Stutzle had 2 even strength points last night and was -2. So he was on for 4 goals against in 13 even strength minutes.

Because Ottawa is dead last and no one cares about their results? Stutzle had 2 even strength points last night and was -2. So he was on for 4 goals against in 13 even strength minutes.

What has that got to do with anything I said? Are you one of those Carpiniello types where everything is fine and people connected to the Rangers can do no wrong?

The Sens are 4 points behind the Rangers. It’s basically the same situation.

What has that got to do with anything I said?

Because the question was...

Answer, because Ottawa is dead last and no one cares about their results.

What has that got to do with anything I said? Are you one of those Carpiniello types where everything is fine and people connected to the Rangers can do no wrong?

The Sens are 4 points behind the Rangers. It’s basically the same situation.

and they've played 4 more games. The Rangers have played 15 games. The Sens have 13 regulation loses.

And no, people connected to the Rangers can do plenty wrong. Their names are Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider.

and they've played 4 more games. The Rangers have played 15 games. The Sens have 13 regulation loses.

And no, people connected to the Rangers can do plenty wrong. Their names are Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider.

And, perhaps, David Quinn, Jeff Gorton and John Davidson? Is it possible that at least part of the reason two consecutive top picks are looking like shells of themselves in a Rangers uniform is down to what is around them at MSG?

I mean, let’s not pretend the Rangers situation is very different from the Sens. They’re a bottom feeder heading for another high pick. The season is already a wash and results mean fuck all.

And, perhaps, David Quinn, Jeff Gorton and John Davidson? Is it possible that at least part of the reason two consecutive top picks are looking like shells of themselves in a Rangers uniform is down to what is around them at MSG?

I mean, let’s not pretend the Rangers situation is very different from the Sens. They’re a bottom feeder heading for another high pick. The season is already a wash and results mean fuck all.

The sole reason they are out of a playoff position is because their 40 goal scorer has 1 goal in 15 games. We're blaming that on the team president?

And Kakko looks great.

The sole reason they are out of a playoff position is because their 40 goal scorer has 1 goal in 15 games. We're blaming that on the team president?

And Kakko looks great.

That’s a pretty solid deflection.

Let’s get back to the point. Why does Lafreniere look so bad and uncomfortable playing a game he’s dominated his entire life? And why is it eerily similar to Kakko’s first year?

Is it possible the Rangers are doing something wrong?

The Rangers situation is quite different than the Sens. Offense wasn't a problem last year for the Rangers, defense was. They've made a commitment to defense and it shows, their SA/G, HDSC against, and xGA are all down from last year and are in the top 1/3 of the league in all.

Ottawa is 2nd to last in SA, HDSC against, and xGA. They are defensively brutal. They can let Stutzle freewheel all they want, is it better for them to do that and not learn a lick of D? I don't know.

What I do believe, and have said before, is that it seems like Quinn does very little offensive coaching. To me, it feels like he expects talent to take over, and that has not been the case with either Kakko or Laf early on, but players like Fox, ADA, Miller, haven't had a problem playing their game. The line between forward and defense does seem strange, but I will add that none of the D are top 1/2 picks and therefore expectations are different. Also none came into the league as 18 year olds, so maybe they have that in common. I will say that Kakko's issues were very different than Laf. Kakko was slow and weak and couldn't cycle and lean into players the way he did in Finland. Laf just looks confused and doesn't want the puck.

What I will say is that Laf has been given all the opportunity in the world. Quinn just can't win, when he had Laf with Zib then Laf's against the other team's top lines. When he Had Laf on favorable D matchups and sheltered, he's with Howden. So either way there will be bitching. But he got a good look with Kakko and Strome and failed to record as many shots as the other 2 during his time there.

It's really on him that he's not letting his instincts and hockey IQ take over when he has the puck, and frankly his shifts end about 10-15 seconds before his linemates so I wonder if there's a conditioning issue there. Maybe the thought it would be easy?

Maybe it's on Quinn to communicate where the line is between defending and letting your offense take over, but he certainly won't teach Laf anything new about scoring goals and setting up others.

IMO most of Laf's struggles are on Laf.

• Like 3

That’s a pretty solid deflection.

Let’s get back to the point. Why does Lafreniere look so bad and uncomfortable playing a game he’s dominated his entire life? And why is it eerily similar to Kakko’s first year?

Is it possible the Rangers are doing something wrong?

Should the Rangers have had them play 10-15 games at the AHL to help prepare for the NHL ? It didn't help Lafreniere not having any preseason games to prep for the season and you have to like the bounce back for Kaapo.

The Rangers situation is quite different than the Sens. Offense wasn't a problem last year for the Rangers, defense was. They've made a commitment to defense and it shows, their SA/G, HDSC against, and xGA are all down from last year and are in the top 1/3 of the league in all.

Ottawa is 2nd to last in SA, HDSC against, and xGA. They are defensively brutal. They can let Stutzle freewheel all they want, is it better for them to do that and not learn a lick of D? I don't know.

What I do believe, and have said before, is that it seems like Quinn does very little offensive coaching. To me, it feels like he expects talent to take over, and that has not been the case with either Kakko or Laf early on, but players like Fox, ADA, Miller, haven't had a problem playing their game. The line between forward and defense does seem strange, but I will add that none of the D are top 1/2 picks and therefore expectations are different. Also none came into the league as 18 year olds, so maybe they have that in common. I will say that Kakko's issues were very different than Laf. Kakko was slow and weak and couldn't cycle and lean into players the way he did in Finland. Laf just looks confused and doesn't want the puck.

What I will say is that Laf has been given all the opportunity in the world. Quinn just can't win, when he had Laf with Zib then Laf's against the other team's top lines. When he Had Laf on favorable D matchups and sheltered, he's with Howden. So either way there will be bitching. But he got a good look with Kakko and Strome and failed to record as many shots as the other 2 during his time there.

It's really on him that he's not letting his instincts and hockey IQ take over when he has the puck, and frankly his shifts end about 10-15 seconds before his linemates so I wonder if there's a conditioning issue there. Maybe the thought it would be easy?

Maybe it's on Quinn to communicate where the line is between defending and letting your offense take over, but he certainly won't teach Laf anything new about scoring goals and setting up others.

IMO most of Laf's struggles are on Laf.

He also didn't get a prospect tourny, or a training camp, or a preseason. Its trial by fire. I'm not worried about it. I believe he'll figure out the adjustment eventually.