• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

If This Skid Continues...TDL, Draft, What Do?

LindG1000

Let's shoot straight here: we are a better team than we've played so far. That's fair, but it's also fair to say our record is our record. We're sitting at a glorious 11 points in 12 games. By points, we're tied for fourth bottom. By points percentage, tied for sixth bottom (5th, really, but Seattle's getting the #3 spot as Vegas did).

We're almost at the quarter point of the season - we will be after Thursday's Flyers game. It's time to start thinking forward - and yeah, hopefully we turn it around, but we know how critical that quarter pole is.

What on earth should we do with the trade deadline? How about the seemingly inevitable top 7 pick?

• Like 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll confess that part of the reason for this thread is a discussion on what value our top pick really has to us versus to others this offseason. If we're sitting in that top 5 range, in a draft that's heavy on defenders, hasn't really got a sure-shot talent on offense - isn't that better used as an accelerator for our rebuild? I'd much rather see what this pick as the centerpiece of a package gets us on the trade market.

Assuming nothing changes to right the ship between now and then, I think it's two separate conversations with two mostly unique markets.

Deadline? Ship off expendable pieces for futures. A flat cap with multiple franchises dealing with internal caps of their own due to a depressed market and what will likely be mandatory quarantine protocols make the idea of a blockbuster deal or deals unlikely. I think you mostly see some movement for effective players at moderate prices, similar to last season. The days of getting a first-round pick for Paul Gaustad are well behind us.

Draft? I'd think long and hard about moving that pick. This coming draft isn't considered especially deep. There's no consensus first overall, and most projections show a slew of interchangeability among most projected first-rounders. That fluidity makes parting with a pick a lot more attractive, IMO, especially for a Rangers team that's coming off back-to-back top-of-class picks in as many years, with multiple first-rounders and highly-touted prospects on the way still (Schneider, Robertson, Jones, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, etc). What they really need is some offensive impact. They've fallen off a cliff offensively this season. The current squad is 27th in GF/GP. Paging Jack Eichel.

I'd definitely look to trade this pick as what's normally a murky prognostication business is even murkier with many of these kids not playing much.

If they pick 2 or 3 OA again, they may as well just trade the vets, and take the longgggg view. I'd rather not, but I would have also looked to moved our previous two high picks.

I think with another very high pick likely, now may be as good a time as any to make a run at Eichel. I think it's time for him to leave Buffalo, and it's time for the Rangers to acquire some more offensive talent. They are pretty much set for the future on defense (maybe not so much an offensive defenseman). They need more weapons.

I'd definitely look to trade this pick as what's normally a murky prognostication business is even murkier with many of these kids not playing much.

If they pick 2 or 3 OA again, they may as well just trade the vets, and take the longgggg view. I'd rather not, but I would have also looked to moved our previous two high picks.

The idea of Brady Tkachuk +3/5 for that pick is looking so fucking nice right about now.

Let's shoot straight here: we are a better team than we've played so far. That's fair, but it's also fair to say our record is our record. We're sitting at a glorious 11 points in 12 games. By points, we're tied for fourth bottom. By points percentage, tied for sixth bottom (5th, really, but Seattle's getting the #3 spot as Vegas did).

We're almost at the quarter point of the season - we will be after Thursday's Flyers game. It's time to start thinking forward - and yeah, hopefully we turn it around, but we know how critical that quarter pole is.

What on earth should we do with the trade deadline? How about the seemingly inevitable top 7 pick?

My take is that we still have some work to do with unloading some big time cap issues after this year, G Man. 12 million in dead cap doesn't usually bode well for filling in the gaps on what we can use, that's for sure.

I think after this season it's time to make a few more adjustments, and there should be some players that will be moved. One we already know won't be back, and I'll refer to him as "that guy", but I think a lot depends on what happens with other teams as this season approaches the deadline. If a team's star support cast gets hit with injuries, I would look into sending a few "expendables" packing.

It looks at this point that were going to at least have a top-10 pick in the upcoming draft...maybe top 5, but there comes a point where we may have to draw the line, and use that pick to obtain a player that fits what we have now. I think if we go one more draft (this year), and make another solid selection (hopefully a good young center), we'll have all the tools needed to be a perennial competitor going forward.

i'd still draft a highest ranking center. With Miller made the 2nd black captain in NHL history, Laf, Kakko and the new center===cup in 3 years

My take is that we still have some work to do with unloading some big time cap issues after this year, G Man. 12 million in dead cap doesn't usually bode well for filling in the gaps on what we can use, that's for sure.

I think after this season it's time to make a few more adjustments, and there should be some players that will be moved. One we already know won't be back, and I'll refer to him as "that guy", but I think a lot depends on what happens with other teams as this season approaches the deadline. If a team's star support cast gets hit with injuries, I would look into sending a few "expendables" packing.

It looks at this point that were going to at least have a top-10 pick in the upcoming draft...maybe top 5, but there comes a point where we may have to draw the line, and use that pick to obtain a player that fits what we have now. I think if we go one more draft (this year), and make another solid selection (hopefully a good young center), we'll have all the tools needed to be a perennial competitor going forward.

There's still a lot of time to right the ship, so to speak. We're still just 4 points out of a playoff spot.

I'm going out on a limb some here: if this season starts to go up in flames, that cap issue sorts itself out. We're on 26M in space without considering the following:

1 - In an ass-end season, Buchnevich probably gets dealt at the TDL, especially if Kravtsov comes over.

2 - In almost any scenario, Ryan Strome gets dealt at the TDL or draft. He's not the answer at 2c. He isn't the right talent profile for 3c or 4c. That's 4.5M in space back - we're up to 30.5 (pending return, so let's say we're at 28.5)

3 - Obviously 12M in buyouts dropping to 4.5 or so (assuming ADA buyout)

4 - We have three contracts that have to get done no questions asked - Chytil (who I figure to make 2-3M for 2 years), Lindgren (same, lower end), and Shesterkin (3.5 or so on a bridge). Figure we've got 20M left.

Further, this draft is...confusing. There does not appear to be a true can't miss. There doesn't really appear to be a top player or two - there's like clusters. It's almost as if the draft starts at #4 or so talent-wise. Further, it's all defense.

I have to think that top pick is in play for a real piece, especially with teams struggling on attendance and revenue. I don't know if it puts us in the Eichel or Crosby conversation, but with the ability to eat every ounce of cap on a player, I have to imagine players like Bo Horvat on the lower end or Brayden Point/Alex Barkov on the higher end might be in real consideration here.

Bluntly, assuming we get a 1st or a few seconds for Buch - does #5 overall, the Buch pick(s), Matt Robertson, and a B-level put us in the conversation for a top center already on a deal? I'd have to think so.

If we continued like this for the rest of the year, id hope by then the higher ups would finally see we need to fire Quinn. Then I think you need to look at who the coach is and where his philosophy lies. The idea of taking the even longer route lies with Gorton and I'm not so sure he would want to rip it up again and basically sign his own dismissal since the ones that really would need to be traded in a tear down would be his fault for having around mostly (Kreider, Trouba, etc). So therein lies where we are kind of stuck.

I think we would be looking at moving the pick, a prospect, and a talent for something impactful. For who probably depends on what team by next offseason needs a shakeup. The clear obvious right now is Eichel.

I think Don't Shoot Buchnevich and Wave that Stick Strome are really the only logical items to be traded at the deadline, and I don't think either one rates a No. 1 pick.

As the youngest team in the league, we have far more roster players who are not eligible for the expansion draft than most teams. In fact, we may have some open spots and a good opportunity to trade on the cheap for a couple of decent players whose teams are not in a position to protect them.

If the season continues on its current trajectory, DQ will be gone and the first media whispers, led by Uncle Larry, will start questioning Gorton's stewardship.

I think the Rangers have a strong foundation. Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, Zib, Panarin, Fox, Miller, Trouba, Lindgren, Shesterkin.

They've got a ton of pieces in the pipeline, especially on defense. Nils Lundkvist is a beast and should make the team next season.

What they need now are established players to fill in around the youngest roster in the league. They need to decide if Zibanejad is their #1 center and where Strome fits in long term - which I don't think he does. Personally, I'd love to see them make a splash at center and fill in the bottom 6 with workman-like players who have been around the block. Not fringe players, but bonefide 3rd and 4th liners. I'd like to see them take the approach the Leafs took. They need veteran leadership.

IMO, they're in a good spot. They can trade their 1st and some pieces for a center if they want. Then make moves in free agency - not to bring in stars, but to fill out the bottom 6. Any big contract they bring in should be via trade, not free agency.

I think the Rangers have a strong foundation. Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, Zib, Panarin, Fox, Miller, Trouba, Lindgren, Shesterkin.

They've got a ton of pieces in the pipeline, especially on defense. Nils Lundkvist is a beast and should make the team next season.

What they need now are established players to fill in around the youngest roster in the league. They need to decide if Zibanejad is their #1 center and where Strome fits in long term - which I don't think he does. Personally, I'd love to see them make a splash at center and fill in the bottom 6 with workman-like players who have been around the block. Not fringe players, but bonefide 3rd and 4th liners. I'd like to see them take the approach the Leafs took. They need veteran leadership.

IMO, they're in a good spot. They can trade their 1st and some pieces for a center if they want. Then make moves in free agency - not to bring in stars, but to fill out the bottom 6. Any big contract they bring in should be via trade, not free agency.

we need better bottom 6. North American grinders and physical players who put up an occasional goal

This coming draft isn't considered especially deep. There's no consensus first overall, and most projections show a slew of interchangeability among most projected first-rounders. That fluidity makes parting with a pick a lot more attractive, IMO, especially for a Rangers team that's coming off back-to-back top-of-class picks in as many years, with multiple first-rounders and highly-touted prospects on the way still (Schneider, Robertson, Jones, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, etc).

Would seem to make complete sense why we would deal the pick, at the same time because of the interchangeability it would seem to lower the value of the return imo. Kind of reading this as there's a whole bunch of not so great prospects in this draft with very few standing out. So the difference between say drafting 6 and 9th for example won't get you a whole lot? Just trying to level my expectations a little bit based on the knowledge you guys have I don't follow that stuff like you guys do and well bought into.....what the experts (outside of here) were selling the last two years. :)

For all of the talk about having Messier, Drury, Boyle or blast-from-the-past Moore or McTavish help with our FO proficiency, has any one of us ever read about that happening? The eye-test certainly would seem to confirm that it has not. This ailment has been symptom of our poor string of results for quite a while and this year is no different. Why do we seem to be stuck in this rut?

Cannot agree with Trouba!

Blackwell is the best face-off guy on our team and he doesn't even take draws. Morgan Barron was and exceptional face-off guy as a prospect and he has begun his Hartford career playing exclusively LW. Makes a lot of sense.

You don't necessarily have to play C to take draws. I've seen it before where the wing will take a draw and then go back to his regular assignments after the draw is taken.