• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Should Name Chris Kreider Captain in Wake of Tony DeAngelo Debacle

Phil

While what you are saying is obvious, we also have to think about not just relationship between captain and a team. Captain needs to have a good relationship with both sides, team and coach.

Let the new coach come in, establish relationship, name a captan.

That's not really how it works, either. When teams name new coaches, players aren't all of a sudden stripped of letters while the new coach determines who he thinks is deserving.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not really how it works, either. When teams name new coaches, players aren't all of a sudden stripped of letters while the new coach determines who he thinks is deserving.

That’s exactly what I’m saying, if we wait for new coach to name a C, you wont be looking in to stripping anyone.

There's a particular need for player leadership at this moment. It's obviously not the right time for Zib. I agree they should give Kreider the C. If the situation with ADA has divided the room, a strong veteran player, rather than the coach, is the one to bridge the gap.

There's a particular need for player leadership at this moment. It's obviously not the right time for Zib. I agree they should give Kreider the C. If the situation with ADA has divided the room, a strong veteran player, rather than the coach, is the one to bridge the gap.

I just don't see how putting a C on his chest changes anything. Kreider is who he is, putting a C on his chest doesn't transform him into a leader of men. The person we're looking for isn't in the locker room, that's blatantly obvious to me. There isn't one guy in that room who everyone looks to, who commands the room, who is the natural leader of the group.

I think the current strategy is fine. When the right person shows up it'll be time.

Link:

Bluntly - who do you give the C to if it isn't Kreider?

Trouba hasn't been there. He's had one miracle-ish playoff run amidst a lot of losing.

Panarin is a wunderkind; leave him be.

Zib is kind of the same thing as Trouba - he's had one real good run

If Kreider isn't the guy, you've exhausted your "legit veteran leaders" group, and you have to start looking at who leads the youth. You have to be thinking it's Fox, Lafreniere, maybe Miller. None of them are even remotely ready for that.

Bluntly - who do you give the C to if it isn't Kreider?

Trouba hasn't been there. He's had one miracle-ish playoff run amidst a lot of losing.

Panarin is a wunderkind; leave him be.

Zib is kind of the same thing as Trouba - he's had one real good run

If Kreider isn't the guy, you've exhausted your "legit veteran leaders" group, and you have to start looking at who leads the youth. You have to be thinking it's Fox, Lafreniere, maybe Miller. None of them are even remotely ready for that.

I am perfectly fine waiting for one of them or someone else to be ready. Naming a captain should not be a priority here, not now. All this talk of being a leader is dumb- pinning a "C" to a vet will not change a damn thing.

I think there are some candidates in the long term- but you have to let them get there.

• 2 weeks later...
Mika put the team on his back down the stretch last year, when they didn't name him Captain this year, it was a missed opportunity.

although that helps, that's not the type of leadership missing when this team talks about a captain.

I dunno, I watch Zboril/Clifton/Lauzon and Carlo, and I can see why they didn't give a fuck about Lindgren.

I meant Lindgren's defensive play, Dunny,....sorry dude, I should've been more clear on that one. He's been in great position when defending....and his decision making for breakouts has been looking cleaner, smarter and more fluid....like a reflex action now.