• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Fire DQ, Hire Brucey B, ????, Profit!!!

I just don't get any sense that Quinn is in trouble.

He's the embodiment of everything this franchise loves. The anti-Canadian style, Prep School educated, upper crust, uber-principled, blue blood. They've been waiting for this guy. I think he's got a lot of leash left.

If NYR were able to get Gerard Gallant, sign me up. Appears not to be the case . But Quinn to Boudreau, case of the devil you know.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get that, but for the accountability and redemption of himself it would be an interesting interview. Of that list, I personally wouldn’t mind Bylsma for his work with a young Pitt and got immediate results.

The timing just doesn't work. You gotta land this plane first, and then drive a while to let everyone forget about the fact you nearly just crashed before opting to get up in turbulent air again.

This team, coming off of ADA, has absolutely no business courting Mike Babcock. They're living a PR nightmare, or were. They're not stupid enough to walk head-first into another. Everyone else, fine. Not Mike. His half life is still raging.

Point of comparison; even players who didn't like playing for Tortarella mostly respected him and even liked him as a guy(big exception being Gaborik). Babcock is really hated by a lot of people who played for him. Heck, is there anyone who has anything good to say about him?

Point of comparison; even players who didn't like playing for Tortarella mostly respected him and even liked him as a guy(big exception being Gaborik). Babcock is really hated by a lot of people who played for him. Heck, is there anyone who has anything good to say about him?

Nope, which is really telling. Even after his attempt to control his own narrative with that interview he did with Pierre LeBrun, not a single player has come out and defended him or had a kind word to say about him. It's either been wholly negative (and I mean really fucking negative) like Franzen, Leafs, etc. or silence.

The whole point of Boudreau is to unlock offense. Just like he did for countless players for the Wild, including who we were convinced was an utterly broken down Eric Staal, who went from 6 points in 20 games with the Rangers (0.30 P/GP) to 65 points in 82 games (0.79) and 76 points in 82 games (0.93) in back-to-back years under Bruce.

Similar spikes? Mikhail Granlund from 44 points to a team-leading 69. Nino Neiderreiter 43 to 57 (4th on team). Charlie Coyle 42 to 56. Spurgeon went from 29 to 38. Dumba from 26 to 34. Even 34-year-old Jason Pominville went from 36 to 47.

I don't have the numbers right next to me, but I'm willing to bet this is a fact everywhere he went. The reason teams hire him is to unlock offense.

Now, look at Kakko and Lafreniere and tell me they wouldn't benefit immensely from playing for Bruce instead of Quinn. Same for Gauthier, Chytil, and others. This team is designed to play Boudreau hockey, not Quinn hockey. Quinn belongs coaching the current Wild squad with Fiala, Bjugstad, Greenway, Foligno, etc.

What about their 1st round picks in Kunin and Ericsson Ek. Did nothing for them.

Panarin, Zib, Buch, Strome, ADA all just had offense unlocked career years under Quinn.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What about their 1st round picks in Kunis and Ericsson Ek. Did nothing for them.

Panarin, Zib, Buch, Strome, ADA all just had offense unlocked career years under Quinn.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Good points.

Who are we not getting offence from at a less than expected rate anyways? A 18 YO and a 19 YO, who are playing enough to control their own destiny.

Good points.

Who are we not getting offence from at a less than expected rate anyways? A 18 YO and a 19 YO, who are playing enough to control their own destiny.

Agree. The whole narrative that he's not playing young players enough is false.

The whole point of Boudreau is to unlock offense. Just like he did for countless players for the Wild, including who we were convinced was an utterly broken down Eric Staal, who went from 6 points in 20 games with the Rangers (0.30 P/GP) to 65 points in 82 games (0.79) and 76 points in 82 games (0.93) in back-to-back years under Bruce.

Similar spikes? Mikhail Granlund from 44 points to a team-leading 69. Nino Neiderreiter 43 to 57 (4th on team). Charlie Coyle 42 to 56. Spurgeon went from 29 to 38. Dumba from 26 to 34. Even 34-year-old Jason Pominville went from 36 to 47.

I don't have the numbers right next to me, but I'm willing to bet this is a fact everywhere he went. The reason teams hire him is to unlock offense.

Now, look at Kakko and Lafreniere and tell me they wouldn't benefit immensely from playing for Bruce instead of Quinn. Same for Gauthier, Chytil, and others. This team is designed to play Boudreau hockey, not Quinn hockey. Quinn belongs coaching the current Wild squad with Fiala, Bjugstad, Greenway, Foligno, etc.

Can we get him in as an assistant to coach the offense then? Better that than enduring the inevitable snuffing of the flame.

or maybe it's just possible at this point in their careers it doesn't matter who the coach is the two top two draft picks aren't good good enough or ready to put up points and it's going to take time regardless of who's behind the bench. Some guys seem to have no problem putting up points last season under Quinn.

or maybe it's just possible at this point in their careers it doesn't matter who the coach is the two top two draft picks aren't good good enough or ready to put up points and it's going to take time regardless of who's behind the bench. Some guys seem to have no problem putting up points last season under Quinn.

Again, in a vacuum, sure. But let?s look at this team. Show me the structure, show me the system. Because if you say you can, I?m calling you a liar. There simply isn?t one.

This is not the environment you want to be developing two young, gifted offensive players. I expect guys like Panarin to wherever they go. That?s not unusual. The lack of growth from a guy like Kakko and the awful start by Laff is unusual.

To be fair, structure and system are defense

Again, in a vacuum, sure. But let?s look at this team. Show me the structure, show me the system. Because if you say you can, I?m calling you a liar. There simply isn?t one.

This is not the environment you want to be developing two young, gifted offensive players. I expect guys like Panarin to wherever they go. That?s not unusual. The lack of growth from a guy like Kakko and the awful start by Laff is unusual.

To be fair, structure and system are for defense. Offense should be free flowing. I don't put the fact that they're clueless when they have the puck on their sticks on Quinn.

What about their 1st round picks in Kunin and Ericsson Ek. Did nothing for them.

Eriksson Ek played 15 games and had 7 points in his first season (0.24) and then put up 29 in 62 (0.47). Kunin had 17 points in 39 games (0.35) and then 31 in 63 (0.49).

Progress in both cases, and neither was a first- or second-overall pick.

But I will say that Boudreau has historically done his best work with more veteran players. I'd expect to see near-career numbers out of Kreider, Strome, Buchnevich, Zibanejad, and Trouba more than anyone else.

Right. Let's just say we have a larger data set with Boudreau. Choose a guy that has steadfastly refused to win a Cup with any number of worthy teams and send him to NY to get chewed up and spit out? Wouldn't be my first instinct.

Oh. You mean like that guy who coached the Rangers in 94? Another guy who couldn't get over that hump. You don't always have to pick the guy who already won. You can pick the guy that is due to win.

Oh. You mean like that guy who coached the Rangers in 94? Another guy who couldn't get over that hump. You don't always have to pick the guy who already won. You can pick the guy that is due to win.
Sorry. I live in DC and I loved him for winning the Southeast division 4 years running only to never get past the semis. It was fun to watch the pain and suffering all around me come springtime. But he couldn't motivate them Caps when he needed to and he wasn't very well regarded in DC. Hard for me to want that for the Rangers.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vacuum? Funny.

What offensive gifts or dynamic skills have either of them shown to date at this level? They are way closer to having no clue as already pointed out.

I'm not even a Quinn guy but it would be great if every blue moon or so they drove the play with the puck on their stick.

You don't win until you win. A lot of guys that won early, like Bylsma and Crawford, weren't worth shit very quickly.

Look at Trotz.

Winning is great but I think it’s only part of it. It’s also about having a clear cut focus and system. Having a philosophy that goes above holding only certain people responsible and rec league pick up.

To be fair, structure and system are defense. To be fair, structure and system are for defense. Offense should be free flowing. I don't put the fact that they're clueless when they have the puck on their sticks on Quinn.

I always thought this as well. "Structure is for defending", and a "system" isn't an offensive strategy. I was always under the impression that offense was more for creativity, and talent. That, and also to exploit the weaknesses of the opposition.

Whenever I hear about "structure" or "system", I'm thinking the old "1-2-2", "man to man" or the "neutral zone trap" kinda stuff....not for offensive flow. In the offensive zone I don't think it's possible to play a "system". I can see, "don't pinch" or "don't get caught up ice". Usually I'll get the whole "Dump & Chase" or now it's "Chip & Chase", but I think the whole "Quinn doesn't have a system" thing is taken where it doesn't make sense to me.

I haven't looked at the stats, but I'll bet the Rangers are somewhere among the teams that have allowed the fewest shots on goal per game. Quinn was talking about how they held their "structure" together for 2 1/2 periods before they fucked the duck, so they must have some kinda system going on in there! ;)

Every day with the wrong coach is one less day with the right one.

You know I luv ya like a brutha, my man, but what is it about Quinn that sets everyone off?

He says a lot of things that make sense, and I see him on the bench communicating well. He doesn't seem to be shitting on guys (on TV, anyway). I obviously have no clue what goes on behind the locker room door. Also seems like a fairly likeable dude. Some of his BU players really loved him, like Greenway: http://theathletic.com/293193/2018/03/29/jordan-greenway-minnesota-wild-david-quinn-boston-university-shattuck-st-marys/

Maybe I'm missing something? ...I dunno.

I'm curious, because you have a really good handle on this, and I keep thinking I'm not seeing the forest through the trees with this guy.