• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dreger: League-Wide Interest in DeAngelo; Trade Likely a Matter of Days

Scott

The only thing positive I can see from a trade, as opposed to a buy out, is that we could actually land a decent draft pick who would be beneficial long after his retained contract expires. Other than that I can't see why they wouldn't just buy him out at the end of the year.

Hey! Any way we could land MacKinnon??? Nah, they'd never do that!!! :rofl:

Thats what I dont understand. The buyout has minor cap implications and we are free of all of this. 50% retention will cost us more. Better get a good grab in return for the extra $$ on the retention.

Vince Dunn for DeAngelo?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to not paying full freight, I believe there are only 6 teams with the cap space to pick him up at full salary (although Taxi Squad shenanigans might make that number totally irrelevant).

This will be either a 50% retention or bad asset for bad asset... I'm hoping the former.. No need to clog the roster with someone else's mistake, take your medicine and move along.

Yeah, and we're one of them.

It really boils down to asset value. Either way, Tony hits the cap this year and next. If there's no value in trading him, he's bought out and he's going to have an almost trivial hit next year (383k), and a slightly higher hit the year after (883k).

For the Rangers, the question becomes something like "is the asset you're sending back worth us taking a cap hit greater than 400K next year, or is the return value so low that we're better off just buying him out?"

This isn't a dead cap for dead cap thing; this is a reclamation project for reclamation project sort of thing for Gorton.

I have a hard time believing the return would consist of any real on-ice value. A pick maybe?

My thinking as well. Though I suppose I could see a team wanting to dump a little salary in return, maybe instead of us absorbing any of DeAngelo's. Maybe it will be a "you take our 4.8M dollar headache with talent, for your $3M headache with lesser talent".

I guess it depends on who the team is. Part of me is really wondering if you can't work out a deal with Calgary for Bennett?

Seems fair. Calgary looks up against the cap though, so Rangers would have to retain. I don't think I would do it unless they sweetened the pot some more. Bennett/3rd for DeAngelo w/ 50% retained this year, 0 retained next year.

Seems fair. Calgary looks up against the cap though, so Rangers would have to retain. I don't think I would do it unless they sweetened the pot some more. Bennett/3rd for DeAngelo w/ 50% retained this year, 0 retained next year.

They're doing that regardless, IMO. Friedman already reported their willingness. I don't see how any trade happens without it.

They're doing that regardless, IMO. Friedman already reported their willingness. I don't see how any trade happens without it.

Sure, but that depends on the salary coming back. Maybe a team has a $5M salary they've been looking to move on from. The Rangers wouldn't retain on DeAngelo on top of that.

I guess it depends on who the team is. Part of me is really wondering if you can't work out a deal with Calgary for Bennett?

I brought this very thing up the other day. It makes a lot of sense to me. They could offset the cap pretty easily.

We'll see though. I have to think Tony is still relatively radioactive even when the Rangers eat his cash.

Hmmmm, that might be an even better option. I think Bennett asked to move to wing just recently, but he is a center....He's also an RFA after this season...(I looked!) ;)

...Not to mention, he's looking to get the hell outta there :http://theathletic.com/2360971/2021/02/03/sam-bennett-calgary-flames-trade/

Headache for a headache?? Only thing is retention of salary for us, and how much, I would think...

Center depth on this team could be looked at as a "slight need" LOL

Hmmmm, that might be an even better option. I think Bennett asked to move to wing just recently, but he is a center....He's also an RFA after this season...(I looked!) ;)

...Not to mention, he's looking to get the hell outta there :http://theathletic.com/2360971/2021/02/03/sam-bennett-calgary-flames-trade/

Headache for a headache?? Only thing is retention of salary for us, and how much, I would think...

Center depth on this team could be looked at as a "slight need" LOL

I think this makes the most sense. I think it's the perfect fit and situation for both teams.

Problem with Bennet is that he's unhappy that he's never gotten a real chance to play top 6 minutes in Calgary. I don't know if he'd get that chance here either.

Although at this point, maybe he could slot in with Artemi and Kaapo to see what happens, and drop Strome down. With the little center depth we have right now, Strome could absolutely suck donkey balls and still retain that 2nd line status.

There are a few fits that make a good deal of sense, imo.

Calgary for Bennett is one of them.

I'd look at Minnesota - they have one RD on the team and they're absolutely swimming in players around the level we'd hope for (MoJo comes to mind, but also someone like a Greenway who just desperately needs a change of scenery).

I'd think Vancouver too - again, real light on RDs. Not sure there's a simpatico turnaround there - Brandon Sutter, perhaps?

Wonder if Chicago for Shaw is a thing. Not in love with it, but he's cheaper and definitely fills a need.

I'd look at Minnesota - they have one RD on the team and they're absolutely swimming in players around the level we'd hope for (MoJo comes to mind, but also someone like a Greenway who just desperately needs a change of scenery).

I'd think Vancouver too - again, real light on RDs. Not sure there's a simpatico turnaround there - Brandon Sutter, perhaps?

Wonder if Chicago for Shaw is a thing. Not in love with it, but he's cheaper and definitely fills a need.

G,

I watched the Wild/Avs game last night and I gotta say, Greenway is a force out there. He'd be a fantastic fit here in NY. I see him as one of those "Hard players" to play against.

If I remember correctly I think Greenway even played for Quinn back in the day, so he would kinda mesh in a little easier with that as well. He's also off to a very good start this season so it may take a little more than ADA to pry a guy like that outta there. I'm not sure Minny wants to babysit for D'Angelo either...not unless we offer sexual favors :rofl:

But yeah man, I'm a big advocate of Greenway....He plays that old school "go to the net", "Play a tough 60" game.

If it means anything. Doug MacLean said he poked around and didn't seem to think there was interest in DeAngelo and that DeAngelo's agent was the one trying to create a market for him.

This was said on Kyper's show, BTW.

I mean, it's plausible. DeAngelo's agent is Pat Brisson, who is close with Darren Dreger, who has been accused of being a media mouthpiece for his friends and family.

G,

I watched the Wild/Avs game last night and I gotta say, Greenway is a force out there. He'd be a fantastic fit here in NY. I see him as one of those "Hard players" to play against.

If I remember correctly I think Greenway even played for Quinn back in the day, so he would kinda mesh in a little easier with that as well. He's also off to a very good start this season so it may take a little more than ADA to pry a guy like that outta there. I'm not sure Minny wants to babysit for D'Angelo either...not unless we offer sexual favors :rofl:

But yeah man, I'm a big advocate of Greenway....He plays that old school "go to the net", "Play a tough 60" game.

Greenway would be a boon. He's one of Quinn's actual soldiers from BU. He's one of those guys who you can deploy in a specified role in your bottom-six, which is something the Rangers largely lack at the moment (plenty of good players, but no good players, if that makes sense).

Still, it feels like a pipe dream. DeAngelo also complicates their Seattle strategy. Parise, Zuccarello, Suter, Spurgeon, and Brodin all have no moves.

Greenway has 10 points in 11 games and is a physical specimen. Good luck getting him for a player thats been axed by the Rangers

Can't imagine they would even consider it for a second (nor should they imo).

If it means anything. Doug MacLean said he poked around and didn't seem to think there was interest in DeAngelo and that DeAngelo's agent was the one trying to create a market for him.

This was said on Kyper's show, BTW.

I would bet this is way more accurate than "League-Wide Interest" as reported by Dreger yesterday. Especially if the Rangers tried to move him several times prior to this past incident as has been reported.