• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Evander Kane Files for Bankruptcy with $26.8 Million in Debt

Phil

Those are some sad examples of how winning the lottery negatively effected everyone involved. I've actually thought of this with my kids when I'm daydreaming about winning the lottery. I certainly don't want them to turn into entitled little douchebags but I'm not sure how easy that is to prevent when you're talking that kind of f.u. money.

I would make my wife stop working, I would still work. My schedule sucks but the job is pretty easy and nowhere near as stressful as hers. I would basically just keep working in order to keep our health benefits. Aside from paying off the mortgage and any other debt we have I wouldn't change my lifestyle all that much. Maybe hire a personal chef because both of us hate cooking lol.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Takes a special kind of dumb

I mean, it's not just on him. As was listed before, he's got 7 dependents listed. Imagine having parents who are down your throat, guilting you into giving them everything you have with the 'I raised you!' argument. it really is a form of abuse.

Jack Johnson had the same thing happen to him. Not happy we signed him or anything but holy crap do I feel bad for him. His parents guilted him into making them power of attorney for finances and stole everything from him, and took out insane lines of credit with insane fees cuz they just assumed it'd never run out and he was their meal ticket

He's made over $50m in the NHL in salary alone.

This if for a bankruptcy of $26.8m.

Again, this takes an incredibly DUMB person to be this DUMB.

There is no way to defend the decade long of DUMB behavior on the part of the player.

This case is night and day different than Jack Johnson’s (which is just and as hell).

I have a buddy who is a wealth advisor and their office deals exclusively with professional athletes.. he’s always said the PGA guys were the best with money, and the NHL guys were a close second.. He’s told me some nightmare stories (names redacted) about NBA and NFL guys.

This case is night and day different than Jack Johnson’s (which is just and as hell).

I have a buddy who is a wealth advisor and their office deals exclusively with professional athletes.. he’s always said the PGA guys were the best with money, and the NHL guys were a close second.. He’s told me some nightmare stories (names redacted) about NBA and NFL guys.

Gee, wonder why that is...Could it be that some get a better education on how to treat money...Couldn't be something that rhymes with prinz titoo shunal yay sizm....

Gee, wonder why that is...Could it be that some get a better education on how to treat money...Couldn't be something that rhymes with prinz titoo shunal yay sizm....

NBA and nfl have/had rules requiring years of college.

Golf and Hockey don’t.

Half his family were accomplished athletes. He's been immersed in elite level sports from birth, including his own early start with hockey, I'm pretty sure he was traveling the country at the age of 13. He played his youth sports with an elite athletic club.

His dad was a decent player, his mom was a volleyball player and a U of Calgary grad, his dad owned a bakery

Seems like he had a pretty solid upbringing, including being an excellent student in HS, and getting the rare opportunity to play his major junior locally, in Vancouver.

I don't think they were rich, but it's not like he's from some housing project. From what I've read they made pretty normal sacrifices many families made to fund elite sports.

Since then he's Tweeted homophobic stuff at public figures, and been accused of assaulting multiple women.

You?re talking about turning 50m into 100m

This is about turning 50m into -26m

And he didn?t come from a bad family or a bad situation, so let?s stop hinting at that path.

Talking about why NHL and PGA players do better with money than NBA and NFL players.

Duh.

From what I've heard, he's actually a pretty good guy 99% of the time. In fact, somebody that played with him as a youth said he was an awesome kid.

He's obviously has a chip on his shoulder and that can be both a blessing, and a curse. I think like any many men, he's made some poor choices in women, coupled with an over bearing father, that pushed him to succeed, but was himself a bit of a loser. The family part is tough, and gambling is an evil all to itself.

Ultimately, if he can get this settled, he's still looking good to net millions of dollars.

Is it because the magic white privilege fairy stops by and teaches them to defer gratitude and save for the future?

Or... due to institutional racism, there's less money and education in the Black community therefore there's less understanding of what to do with money, and fewer Black people people who can advise on what to do with money... amongst the group of people who don't trust white people... And add into the fact that part of institutional racism is white people not caring as much about Black people keeping their money as white people keeping their money.

I mean you didn't really think that predominantly Black sports had more instances of athletes not knowing what to do with their money just because their skin was Black did you? And predominantly white sports had athletes who were better with their money just because their skin was light, right?

Because that would be the real magic.

This could very well be the case ^ but in my experience financial literacy isn?t taught in most schools. Went to private schools basically from the 6th grade through high school and didn?t have one single class on how to manage money. Not to mention that money/time suck known as college. I took matters into my own hands and googled/read every book I could get on the matter.

I would say most people have poor financial literacy. Hell, I?m not an expert by any means but compared to some of my friends and family, a lot of whom make good money but have no idea how to handle it, I find myself giving out what I usually think is pretty basic advice often.

My parents were polish immigrants coming from communist Poland so they didn?t know any better to pass good info on- but you?d be amazed at some of the things parents teach their kids to do with money. One of my friends racked up credit card debt and school loan debt because his father suggested that once you declare bankruptcy all of that is forgiven and you can start over- since he?s young it wouldn?t hurt him in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• 1 month later...