• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will Not Release Lafreniere to Hockey Canada for WJC

Phil

Why would an NHL player (which he is now) play in a junior tournament?

I know Canadians think the WJC is really important but NHL teams don’t give a fuck. Nor should they.

The same way that Manchester City shouldn't give a fuck about relasing a player for a random friendly in February, but they do. Why?

I get Americans don't give a fuck about international sports, but other people do.

There is a giant difference between the gravity of international responsibility for world wide football and hockey. There really aren’t that comparable.

And this is the world juniors. Routinely top under 21 year prospects skip u21 duties once they are top prospects in football. Let’s be realistic here.

I don't think MLS honors international dates, do they? I don't remember exactly what it is, but they do it differently.

I don't care about the playing for Canada angle, I see this as a bi-product of the leagues disregard for the International game in general. There is no high level competition to determine a world champion in the game of hockey. That's crazy, to me.

MLS players are given time to join USMNT (Aaron Long/Kyle Duncan - both prime defenders on our squad) recently went to play a friendly. Sure, our MLS season is over now so it did not have an impact, but earlier in the season when we were playing, Kaku left to play in World Cup qualifying games and missed an important game for us...two games actually because in one of them he sat on the bench.

I'd enjoy seeing the NHL think beyond the norm and expand the league to Europe or beyond. Sending a team from the USA to play an extended road trip of say 12-14 days would be a great way to grow the game. Financially? Make those Euro teams pay a 'playing fee' to participate as they ramp up to become fully recognized league teams. Part of the playing fee can be apportioned to their buy-in payment to become a full NHL franchise. This is simplified here, but there is a way to do this with forethought.

The same way that Manchester City shouldn't give a fuck about relasing a player for a random friendly in February, but they do. Why?

I get Americans don't give a fuck about international sports, but other people do.

I don’t know about Man City but it’s pretty common for teams not send players for U21 play. Hell even my team, QPR, debates this every year.

The NHL grows the game by sending players to the olympics to play on the international stage. The WJC is not even close to the same thing.

While soccer is intensely physical at times, hockey has that component on every shift so the ?potential? for injury is greater, I think. I?m troubled when my soccer players go play international games when we?re in the middle of playoffs. Disparage MLS all you want but it?s something I pay into as a fan to support and I want my guys winning here, now.

I agree that the NHL does look far past USA/Canada borders to grow the game and they should model the NBA and NFL to a greater degree. They?ve been heading there but not enough.

As badly injured as soccer players appear to be, writhing in pain and rolling around, they almost always miraculously heal

I'd rather have him join me and RJ for a puck shoot! He's not a junior anymore. ...and I don't wanna see any Ranger "bad" luck spawn out of nowhere and see this kid blow out an ACL.

This kid's a pro now, and as much as I can't wait to see him with the boys, THAT'S where he belongs: MSG.

I have no issue with them not sending him to the World Juniors. Pete, Josh and Sharpy, I share your thoughts...He's got nothing left to prove at that level.

In the NHL he's just another guy. In the juniors him being 1st over-all may put a bit of a target on his back for somebody looking to be noticed and that's not saying it would be malicious though it could be

In the NHL he's just another guy. In the juniors him being 1st over-all may put a bit of a target on his back for somebody looking to be noticed and that's not saying it would be malicious though it could be

Exactly, man! We don't need that kind of stuff to go on with our new prized possession. This kid is going to be the MAN here for the next 15 years and I hope they treat him like a garaged Ferrari! :thumbs:

I don’t know about Man City but it’s pretty common for teams not send players for U21 play. Hell even my team, QPR, debates this every year.

The NHL grows the game by sending players to the olympics to play on the international stage. The WJC is not even close to the same thing.

They don't debate it when they're sitting on their ass at home lol

They don't debate it when they're sitting on their ass at home lol

Okay but now you're talking about something else.

NHL teams have to assume they're playing. Between getting hurt, getting COVID, or being quarantined for a total of 28 days and likely missing NHL camp, there's really no point in sending him. Plus he's already been the tourny MVP and won the gold medal. What other experience does he need?

This makes no sense to me. Manchester City and all teams in major football (soccer) leagues throughout the world release players for international games because a) they are obligated to (barring injury/extenuating circumstances), and b) there is a break in the schedule to allow. Otherwise they wouldn?t have any players available for their game as everyone would be playing for their country. They would have 15 year old kids playing. The player can refuse but good luck playing for your country again. MLS doesn?t allow for a break in the schedule which is one of many reasons why top players don?t play here in their prime. It?s kind of like the Olympics, the NHL allows a break in the schedule so players can (well, could previously) attend.

If Manchester City, using your example, had to play Liverpool let?s say, and 16 of their players were called up to the national team, and they had the choice to decline, do you not think they would?

On a side note, if Canada can?t win without him they have problems. They are stacked. And let?s be honest, this isn?t the first or last time this will happen so just get on with it. Next guy up. I really don?t see the big issue. Why would you risk your best prospect arguably ever in your history for a tournament with no fans during Covid which he has already won and been injured playing in. Don?t get the issues people have with this and I live in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don?t know about Man City but it?s pretty common for teams not send players for U21 play. Hell even my team, QPR, debates this every year.

QPR?! That is so random! I feel your pain, I?m a Blackburn Rovers fan.

As badly injured as soccer players appear to be, writhing in pain and rolling around, they almost always miraculously heal

100%. It?s all to do with $. Winning is so lucrative for a club and player now they will do anything for a ?competitive? edge, including diving and cheating. I hate it, and fell out of love the game for years after I stopped playing. I can stomach it now but miss the good old days where a sliding tackle and winning the ball wasn?t an automatic yellow card and penalties weren?t a farce. Call me nostalgic.

Side note. Did you watch the four year plan documentary about qpr? It was pretty good

No. Where do I watch that? I recently watched the Spurs one on Amazon (my brother is a Spurs season ticket holder), and haven?t watched the Man City one yet. Sunderland Til I Die was pretty funny to. Feel free to PM me as I know we are veering waaaay off topic.

Henriksson going for Sweden.

Looks like they are only holding back NHL players

I hope this is because the season/camp will be during that time. If not, I may be a bit disappointed. If there's is no NHL season, I'll probably be disappointed I hadn't seen him play since being drafted by the rangers for a year and a half.

Henriksson going for Sweden.

Looks like they are only holding back NHL players

I hope this is because the season/camp will be during that time. If not, I may be a bit disappointed. If there's is no NHL season, I'll probably be disappointed I hadn't seen him play since being drafted by the rangers for a year and a half.

nevermind. Karl tested positive for COVID

https://www.frolundaindians.com/artikel/mgtoakid4-24601/henriksson-stannar-hemma

• 3 weeks later...