• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Offseason Thread: Get to Fixin'

Phil

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Strome - Kakko

ALF - Chytil - Gauthier

Lemieux - Howden - Rooney/PDG

Smith - Trouba

Lindgren - Fox

Johnson - ADA

Bitetto

Shesty

Geo

Assuming Strome signs this is what we're looking at.

The top 6 should have no trouble scoring.

I'm excited to see Lafreniere and if/how he's able to make Chytil and Gauthier better. They are two big bodies that just need to get to the net and get open, LaF will find them.

I think the 4th line suits Lemieux better than the third and I'd suspect he is the guy that moves up in the event of an injury.

Lindgren/Fox showed real nice chemistry as two rookies last year. I think they both be improved. As for the rest of the D, the pairings are subject to change, but they're leaving the door open for Miller, if not out of camp a mid-season call up.

As to JD's point about the PK. Johnson for all the warts about his play, was the top LD for the Penguins (who were tied for 8th at 82.1%) at 2:12 minutes per game. The Devils were 7th in the league at 82.4% and Rooney was third among their F's in ice time at 2:06 per game. Add in a full season of Shesty along with a new D coach and the PK should be much improved. Last year's 7th ranked PP should be even better with the addition of LAF and improvement from all the kids on the second unit.

Prior to the offseason everyone knew there was one more year to go before the cap opened up. I see no reason the team will be worse than last year. One more year for the kids to develop. 2021/22 and beyond are going to be tons of fun.

• Like 1

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Strome - Kakko

ALF - Chytil - Gauthier

Smith - Trouba

Lindgren - Fox

Johnson - ADA

Bitetto

Shesty

Geo

I'm excited to see Lafreniere and if/how he's able to make Chytil and Gauthier better. They are two big bodies that just need to get to the net and get open, LaF will find them.

I think the 4th line suits Lemieux better than the third and I'd suspect he is the guy that moves up in the event of an injury.

Lindgren/Fox showed real nice chemistry as two rookies last year. I think they both be improved. As for the rest of the D, the pairings are subject to change, but they're leaving the door open for Miller, if not out of camp a mid-season call up.

As to JD's point about the PK. Johnson for all the warts about his play, was the top LD for the Penguins (who were tied for 8th at 82.1%) at 2:12 minutes per game. The Devils were 7th in the league at 82.4% and Rooney was third among their F's in ice time at 2:06 per game. Add in a full season of Shesty along with a new D coach and the PK should be much improved. Last year's 7th ranked PP should be even better with the addition of LAF and improvement from all the kids on the second unit.

Prior to the offseason everyone knew there was one more year to go before the cap opened up. I see no reason the team will be worse than last year. One more year for the kids to develop. 2021/22 and beyond are going to be tons of fun.

Yep. Would have loved to bring in some heavy bodies to play on the 4th line but really, this team should improve on its own by matter of maturity.

Kakko for instance looked drastically different in the return to play then he did during the season.

I highlighted Gautier because I'd love to see Kravstov make the team. Also let's not forget a full year of Shesterkin might put the Rangers in the playoffs on it's own.

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Strome - Kakko

ALF - Chytil - Gauthier

Smith - Trouba

Lindgren - Fox

Johnson - ADA

Bitetto

Shesty

Geo

Even though that 3rd pair scares the sh*t out for me from a goals allowed perspective; I personally have warmed up to the Jack Johnson signing. I like the idea of Hajek or Miller only having to push what everyone here has labelled as the "statistically worst" defenseman in the NHL season out of the way, if they want to be able to start. If either is unable to it will clearly tell you that Hajek is not a legitimate prospect and that Miller needs more seasoning to before receiving that assessment.

I mean... There's been more loss than gain. What would there have been to be happy about lol?

It really makes you think about how truly fucked Gorton was this summer. The only reason no one is talking about it is because they're happy about Laffy.

There would have been an additional pick in the 12-14 range that would have yielded a good player. We would have been happy-ish about that, right? Ok, maybe not.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No, I think that pick gets traded for a player. We'd have that to be excited about. Getting 1 and taking Lafreniere is a no brainer, and didnt require them to go out and make a big more (if they had that in mind)

Yep. Would have loved to bring in some heavy bodies to play on the 4th line but really, this team should improve on its own by matter of maturity.

Kakko for instance looked drastically different in the return to play then he did during the season.

I highlighted Gautier because I'd love to see Kravstov make the team. Also let's not forget a full year of Shesterkin might put the Rangers in the playoffs on it's own.

I think Kravstov stays in KHL at least until their season is over. Bringing him in from the start cause more potential bonus related cap issues.

I know Krav is a sexier option than Gauthier since he was our own top 10 pick, but I still have high hopes for Gauthier (a 1st rounder in his own right). He's just turned 23 (yesterday actually) and he's coming off AHL seasons of 27 goals in 75 games followed up by 26 goals in 44 games. I think this is a big year for both him and Buch. Those two guys are the ones battling for long term spots here. Both are RFA's next summer. Can Buch take another step, become at 25 goal 60+point guy, and earn a long term deal? Can Gauthier show his goal scoring will translate to the NHL? Regardless of what either one of them do this year, will Krav still beat one of them out in camp going into the 2021/22 season?

How can you not be excited about this team? Don't (not you people in general) get bent out of shape by the roster filler they signed this year. Those guys are irrelevant. Gotta see the forest for the trees.

I think Kravstov stays in KHL at least until their season is over. Bringing him in from the start cause more potential bonus related cap issues.

I know Krav is a sexier option than Gauthier since he was our own top 10 pick, but I still have high hopes for Gauthier (a 1st rounder in his own right). He's just turned 23 (yesterday actually) and he's coming off AHL seasons of 27 goals in 75 games followed up by 26 goals in 44 games. I think this is a big year for both him and Buch. Those two guys are the ones battling for long term spots here. Both are RFA's next summer. Can Buch take another step, become at 25 goal 60+point guy, and earn a long term deal? Can Gauthier show his goal scoring will translate to the NHL? Regardless of what either one of them do this year, will Krav still beat one of them out in camp going into the 2021/22 season?

How can you not be excited about this team? Don't (not you people in general) get bent out of shape by the roster filler they signed this year. Those guys are irrelevant. Gotta see the forest for the trees.

Agree with you on Kravtsov. Let him play a full season in the KHL and bring him over for the playoffs. Think that Caps did that with Kuznetsov.

With Gauthier even if he only develops into a bottom six 30 point player(15G/15A) this team is so stacked on the wings they would still be filling a need.

Finally with Buchnevich, I think he was just about there last season. His .67 ppg average last season is good enough for a 55 point campaign. If he plays like the beast that he did in the playoffs, and continues to get top 6 minutes on that KZB line; I see him very easily developing into that type of player. If I was Gorton, I would be looking to extend him now to see if there was a bargain to be had. Would love to see if he would bite on a 4.3 million X 4 year contract.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read when Krav signed his KHL deal, the expectation was he'd play the entire season in Russia.

from Lohud

Vitali Kravtsov will play in Russia's KHL this season, the Traktor Chelyabinsk hockey club announced Sunday.

The New York Rangers have agreed to loan their 2018 first-round pick to the team he's been associated with since 2014, with the hope that the comfortable surroundings will aid his development. They see this as an opportunity for Kravtsov to get valuable ice time after not playing in a real game since March 11 with their AHL affiliate in Hartford.

The KHL season is scheduled to begin Sept. 2. Meanwhile, the 2020-21 NHL season isn't expected to begin until December, with many unknowns remaining due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Rangers reserve the right to recall the 20-year-old forward from the KHL at any time, although the organization plans to weigh the decision about when to bring him back at a later date, according to a team source.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2020/08/30/vitali-kravtsov-loaned-khl-what-means-ny-rangers/5674132002/

Yeah, that basically reads like they fully intend to leave him there all season.

Yeah, i kind of read that as the same. No real intention of screwing around with him this year but if he is tearing it up to the point where they have no choice......

Then again, with all their bonus probs, I imagine him coming into the mix would only complicate it money wise right now.

No, I think that pick gets traded for a player. We'd have that to be excited about. Getting 1 and taking Lafreniere is a no brainer, and didnt require them to go out and make a big more (if they had that in mind)
We thought the same would happen with #22 and any number of combo pieces - but didn't. Not sure why that would have worked differently.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I read a lot of mixed messaging on an AHL start. Doesn't look like it's happening until they can allow fans as to make their financial model feasible.

I think that means the Canadian teams are out, but there's not many of those. It looks like NHL teams will be treating Euro teams as their farm system for much of this season.

I read a lot of mixed messaging on an AHL start. Doesn't look like it's happening until they can allow fans as to make their financial model feasible.

I think that means the Canadian teams are out, but there's not many of those. It looks like NHL teams will be treating Euro teams as their farm system for much of this season.

I was actually looking for schedules and news yesterday. What's weird is that the QMJHL is playing, but no OHL or WHL info that I could find. In the US looks like the Big 10 will start in November and with how football has been going I'd bet the other conferences will eventually play hockey too. US U-18 team has been playing and the USHL looks to be starting this month.

I think the league will have to think of something. With no AHL can you carry more players on the big club so prospects like Miller and Wall can at least get some reps? How much room is there in Europe for all the NHL teams to be loaning extra kids over there? Can an NHL club get one of their kids traded from the WHL to the QMJHL so they can play?

I don't see Kravtsov coming over to start next season, but more likely replacing Buch after Buch gets dealt.

I can totally see this as a reality, Pete. I think this season is a make or break for Buch, and this is very possible and makes sense.

I can totally see this as a reality, Pete. I think this season is a make or break for Buch, and this is very possible and makes sense.

Buch was pretty good last year but he's heading towards $5 million a year and there's no reason to pay him that with Kakko and Kravtsov coming as RW.

Buch was pretty good last year but he's heading towards $5 million a year and there's no reason to pay him that with Kakko and Kravtsov coming as RW.

I mean, again I really like Kravtsov, but if Buch hits around 70 points and you can sign him long term it'll be hard to let him go and hope/wait for Kravtsov to do the same. As long as a longer term Buch deal doesn't have too much trade protection should be easy to move him when/if Kravtsov is here producing at Buch's level, and needs a raise of his own.

If this is the case and you can sign Buch to a 5x5 type deal I'd do it in a heart beat and look to trade Kreider. No reason to pay Kreider when you have LaF and Bread as LW.

I mean, again I really like Kravtsov, but if Buch hits around 70 points and you can sign him long term it'll be hard to let him go and hope/wait for Kravtsov to do the same. As long as a longer term Buch deal doesn't have too much trade protection should be easy to move him when/if Kravtsov is here producing at Buch's level, and needs a raise of his own.

If this is the case and you can sign Buch to a 5x5 type deal I'd do it in a heart beat and look to trade Kreider. No reason to pay Kreider when you have LaF and Bread as LW.

I don't expect Buch to go from a 50 point player to a 70 point player with nothing else changing. He's still going to play with same players, he might even get less PP time.

If he goes to 70 point at that point you have to move him because that makes him probably a $7 million player. We have players on ELCs at RW.

There's no way to make the math work with Zib and Buch... And Zib is a no brainer to sign because there's no one in the pipeline replacing him.

I don't expect Buch to go from a 50 point player to a 70 point player with nothing else changing. He's still going to play with same players, he might even get less PP time.

If he goes to 70 point at that point you have to move him because that makes him probably a $7 million player. We have players on ELCs at RW.

There's no way to make the math work with Zib and Buch... And Zib is a no brainer to sign because there's no one in the pipeline replacing him.

He was on pace for 56 last year and Zib missed 11 games. I don't think 65-70 points is out of the question for Buch, although getting bumped off PP1 by LaF is a good point.

Still if I have $6.5 million to spend I'd rather have 65-70 point Buch over Kreider.

He was on pace for 56 last year and Zib missed 11 games. I don't think 65-70 points is out of the question for Buch, although getting bumped off PP1 by LaF is a good point.

Still if I have $6.5 million to spend I'd rather have 65-70 point Buch over Kreider.

Unfortunately that ship is sailed because CK is not getting traded anytime soon.

Right wing is in the same position as right defense. You can't pay and keep everybody.

We thought the same would happen with #22 and any number of combo pieces - but didn't. Not sure why that would have worked differently.

Because with Lafreniere, they got a guy that can come in and make an immediate impact - something they wanted.

Since they got that, they didnt need to make a trade. Although Gorton suggested they were talking about deals when asked about Strome.

Best thry can kind of hope for Buch is that he stays development wise at around the same and does a team friendly deal with the flat cap considerations. He will be an RFA so it’s always possible for a two year deal. You have to wonder if they approach Buch at the start of this season for an extension before and see if he goes with a smaller raise but security. Far more wiggle room in the cap for the 21/22 season with the only biggest names on our roster that could get significant bumps being Shesh and possibly Chytil. Lindgren, Gauthier, Howden, would need to take major major steps which is unlikely since they won’t see top 6 minutes really. Lindgren could just for being solid D and eating minutes I guess.