• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Offseason Thread: Get to Fixin'

Phil

Put another way:

We have $18.8M in apparent cap space right now. $10.1M of that is held for performance bonuses.

We have less than half our actual cap space. We have approximately 8.7M to figure out Strome, DeAngelo, Georgiev, Lemieux, and DiGiuseppe.

Not great lol.

Never thought having too many kids would be a problem

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Rangers have a shit ton of ELCs w/ bonus money possibly awarded. This is the first time I can remember (my memory is pretty foggy) that this bonus money was ever a concern or even mentioned in passing. So basically they may have enough to pay their FAs and that's about it?

I talked about it last summer. Lafreniere has more bonus money coming his way

Not great lol.

Never thought having too many kids would be a problem

Too many buyouts is the problem.

Honestly, who are we missing out on that we're all so triggered here? Were we expecting to win the cup in Pandemic Season 2, Broadway Boogaloo?

We will have literally 31M in cap space to handle Lindgren, Buchnevich (if we don't trade him first), Chytil, Gauthier, Howden (again, if the latter two make the cut), and the entire FA market for 2021. And Zibanejad, of course, but he's not even up just yet.

Aside from a few RFA candidates who almost assuredly will neither get traded nor offer sheeted, who are we so upset about not signing in a garbage market?

• Like 1

Honestly, who are we missing out on that we're all so triggered here? Were we expecting to win the cup in Pandemic Season 2, Broadway Boogaloo?

We will have literally 31M in cap space to handle Lindgren, Buchnevich (if we don't trade him first), Chytil, Gauthier, Howden (again, if the latter two make the cut), and the entire FA market for 2021. And Zibanejad, of course, but he's not even up just yet.

Aside from a few RFA candidates who almost assuredly will neither get traded nor offer sheeted, who are we so upset about not signing in a garbage market?

Wouldn't mind an offersheet on Cirelli in the 4.3-6.5 range, we're going to use that 1st rounder on a Center most likely anyways. -- my only concern with ditching picks right now is what does the next season even look like, will divisions flip around for an all canada one? No one was expecting big signings i think some were hoping for a better option than Strome and a physical bottom 6 with some upside.

Exactly.

While it would have been nice to see them be more active in improving the roster and having more ability to do so this offseason, but in the long run it’s probably not costing them much. They aren’t missing out on anyone. Free agent class is shitty this year. Offer sheets don’t happen. And if there’s been a huge move in the trade market as in someone who they could’ve acquired that would’ve really helped them, I must have missed it.

It’s fine.

Roll will the young guys

Find stopgap solutions

Be patient and play the long game.

Either someone on the team is going to step up and bank, or they need an upgrade. But we knew this offseason was going to be tough. Hate to see Strome, Deangelo even Buchnevich moves over a few bucks of missing cap space, and see them continue to grow.

But the team that was on ice this season was outside a playoff spot, so something needs to happen.

Put another way:

We have $18.8M in apparent cap space right now. $10.1M of that is held for performance bonuses.

We have less than half our actual cap space. We have approximately 8.7M to figure out Strome, DeAngelo, Georgiev, Lemieux, and DiGiuseppe.

Di Giuseppe is already signed for next year. 700k

Either someone on the team is going to step up and bank, or they need an upgrade. But we knew this offseason was going to be tough. Hate to see Strome, Deangelo even Buchnevich moves over a few bucks of missing cap space, and see them continue to grow.

But the team that was on ice this season was outside a playoff spot, so something needs to happen.

The team that was on a roll going into Covid was a different team that started the season and finished the "season".

I'd totally be OK with going into next season with last year's roster playing at its best. This team was on fire.

I'm still not sure why.... Why do they always have a boner for guys like this. This is Hrivik part 2. Why waste a contract on this guy. He wasn't anything special last year...

I’m assuming they just think warm body and the devil you know kind of stuff. I don’t get it specifically when you look at some of the other guys signing for barely 100-200k more that are just better hockey players.

I sent Gorts a note saying I'd take 700k for this year 4th Line guy

Attributes- Fun guy in the room, great teammate, experienced bridge between management and younger guys

Negatives- Shitty Skater, 47, bad shoulder, gassy.

Pretty sure they could lure Jagr back if they wanted to.

Attributes- Fun guy in the room, great teammate, experienced bridge between management and younger guys

...can't speak French!!!

Needed one Honeymooners reference in there, Flynn!!! :rofl:

Sounds like you'd fit right in on Quinns 2nd line ;)

It just occurred to me... Do you all realize just how depressingly sour this board would have been had the Rangers ball not come up in the lottery drawing??

Nah, everyone’s pretty pumped about Howdens playoff performance and excited to see how he’ll grow next season. It’s disappointing to hear that he may lose some of those minutes to the kid they just drafted.

It just occurred to me... Do you all realize just how depressingly sour this board would have been had the Rangers ball not come up in the lottery drawing??
I mean... There's been more loss than gain. What would there have been to be happy about lol?

It really makes you think about how truly fucked Gorton was this summer. The only reason no one is talking about it is because they're happy about Laffy.