• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

Of course he hasn't. He's coming off a career year. The math has been posted by me here before. He's a career 0.52 P/GP player (42 points). This is including his 0.84 P/GP breakout season. Without it, he's a 0.47 P/GP player (39 points).

Also, "he's previously been a 50-point player," ignores more critical context — that that 50 point season was SIX YEARS AGO.

It is entirely justifiable to balk at the idea of a long-term deal that presumes he's now a 70-point player rather than he became one by riding shotgun to a league MVP candidate. It's entirely appropriate to want a larger sample size before committing to him.

Yeah but I think you’re missing my point. I understand why a gm would balk at a long term deal. I also think Strome would balk at one too not at market price. Stroke himself would prefer repeating 19/20 season and roll right into ufa. If he signs anything team friendly, it’s for one year.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He’s actually not the highest paid player coming off one good season. And people constantly forget his prior 50 point season as a 21 year old.

And you guys are missing the point. This isn’t what other GMs are willing to do. No one knows that right now. He can’t test the waters yet. The point is, why does he want to sell himself short when he can do a one year deal and wait until he gets leverage more than arb rights. If he goes to arbitration he’s getting 5m on a one year deal at least. Then he goes into his ufa as a 5m free agent. Even if he ends up with a lesser year, say around 55 points for a full season, he’s still a 5m player. He’s grossly underpaid at 3m.

If he decided on a 3 year deal at 5m then we should all go out and buy him something nice lol because then he becomes one of the best bargains in the league as a 65-75 point 2nd line center.

Yes, assuming he remains a 65-75 point player. If he regresses to his NHL mean, he becomes an overpaid third-line center making $5 million-plus to give you 40 points.

Yes, assuming he remains a 65-75 point player. If he regresses to his NHL mean, he becomes an overpaid third-line center making $5 million-plus to give you 40 points.

And he would still be cheaper by 2m to the likes of Hayes, RyJo, Benn, Krejci, et al. If only our worst contract was 5m lol

And he would still be cheaper by 2m to the likes of Hayes, RyJo, Benn, Krejci, et al. If only our worst contract was 5m lol

Brady Skjei. I'd rather pay extra in free agency than give a guy a deal he hasn't earned in the hopes he will.

Not disagreeing at all. Regardless, I don?t see Strome trying to help us out one year away from ufa anyway.
With a flat cap, he probably will. It's his best path. Take $5.5m for a year and ride shotgun to Panarin and take that to the bank in UFA.

With a flat cap, he probably will. It's his best path. Take $5.5m for a year and ride shotgun to Panarin and take that to the bank in UFA.

I think the flat cap will remain for 2 years. I think he's better off getting a 2 year deal now than a 1 year deal. Take some guaranteed cash based on the season he just had, get to UFA when the cap is supposed to go back up again.

I think the flat cap will remain for 2 years. I think he's better off getting a 2 year deal now than a 1 year deal. Take some guaranteed cash based on the season he just had, get to UFA when the cap is supposed to go back up again.
Sure. That works for us, too.

Not disagreeing at all. Regardless, I don’t see Strome trying to help us out one year away from ufa anyway.

I don't either. I've said, if I'm his agent, I'm telling him to take a one-year deal and get to free agency. Even with a flat cap, productive centers will get paid.

Exactly this.

I don't either. I've said, if I'm his agent, I'm telling him to take a one-year deal and get to free agency. Even with a flat cap, productive centers will get paid.

Exactly this.

The problem with that is that you're actually looking at two reasonably good UFA center years in '21(Krejci/Getzlaf/Stepan/Stastny/RNH/E Staal/MoJo) and '22 (Malkin/Bergeron/Barkov/Hertl/Zib/Trocheck/Kadri/Couturier/Rakell/Jenner). Old, and obviously up for some variation (no way Zib or Barkov hits that 2022 market), but the kind of market that would certainly make it harder to truly cash in.

The problem with that is that you're actually looking at two reasonably good UFA center years in '21(Krejci/Getzlaf/Stepan/Stastny/RNH/E Staal/MoJo) and '22 (Malkin/Bergeron/Barkov/Hertl/Zib/Trocheck/Kadri/Couturier/Rakell/Jenner). Old, and obviously up for some variation (no way Zib or Barkov hits that 2022 market), but the kind of market that would certainly make it harder to truly cash in.

Asssuming they all make it to market, which is unlikely. The free agent markets are always great looking on paper, and thin in reality as teams keep their players or trade them to teams who sign them before free agency.

Asssuming they all make it to market, which is unlikely. The free agent markets are always great looking on paper, and thin in reality as teams keep their players or trade them to teams who sign them before free agency.

Sure, but few of those players are retirement age, and few of them are going to take significant cuts. It'll eat into available salary for Strome to actively take.

The UFA market is likely something mid-six players will try to avoid until the cap moves up again.

If he puts up another near-70-point season, he's clearly not a middle-six player. He's a potential 1C or high-end 2C that teams would probably trip over themselves to acquire. You don't think Minnesota, for example, would love to sign him?

The NHL?s first buyout window opens this coming Friday, Sept. 25, at 5 p.m. and closes at the same time on Oct. 8. But that does not necessarily mean that Henrik Lundqvist?s immediate fate will be determined during that period.

That is because the Rangers will have a second buyout opportunity of 24 hours two days after the club?s final settlement or award on salary arbitration filings. The Blueshirts would expect Tony DeAngelo, Ryan Strome, Alex Georgiev, Brendan Lemieux and perhaps Phil DiGiuseppe to file unless traded beforehand. Arbitration hearings will be held between Oct. 20 and Nov. 8.

So the hierarchy and Lundqvist both still have time. In this instance, they should use it. Because the goaltending situation around the league will be much clearer in late October and early November than it will be over the next few weeks before the Oct. 9 opening of the free agent market.

Once the musical-chair goaltending carousel ? that could include trade targets Darcy Kuemper, Marc-Andre Fleury, Matt Murray, Frederik Andersen and Jonathan Quick as well as pending free agents Anton Khudobin, Braden Holtby, Jacob Markstrom, Thomas Greiss, Corey Crawford, Cam Talbot, Ryan Miller, et al. ? slows down, Lundqvist is likely to have a much better idea if there is a team for which he is a match.

The Rangers will accrue knowledge, as well, and perhaps would be able to make a trade to a targeted team that would be beneficial to the cap both for 2020-21 and 2021-22. If the Blueshirts could trade the 38-year netminder while retaining $4.25 million (50 percent) of his $8.5 million cap hit instead of buying him out, the club would save $1.25 million against the cap this year and, equally as important, a looming dead space charge of $1.5 million the following season.

It is possible the Rangers might have to add a sweetener in terms of a prospect or a draft pick to complete a trade. The Blueshirts own nine 2021 picks: seven of their own plus Buffalo?s third-rounder and Carolina?s fourth. The team does have inventory.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/21/how-rangers-henrik-lundqvist-both-win-by-waiting-out-goalie-carousel/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

I just don't see them buying him out or trading him.

a) buyout is bad business and we've already got three non-rostered players on the books, including Shattenkirks enormous cap hit.

b) trade isn't going to happen based on age, skill level, and contract. There's no reason any team would take him over the other goalies listed above other than as a favor to Gorton and JD.

A lot of those players will be 35 or 35+ in '22. Strome will be 29.

I just don't see them buying him out or trading him.

a) buyout is bad business and we've already got three non-rostered players on the books, including Shattenkirks enormous cap hit.

b) trade isn't going to happen based on age, skill level, and contract. There's no reason any team would take him over the other goalies listed above other than as a favor to Gorton and JD.

A week ago Larry's article was "Ranger must Buyout Lundqvist in the First Window"...now it's Welllll, they don't have to and might be better if they didn't.

He doesn't know shit.

The part I never understand in all of this is how Staal never gets brought up and Smith skates as well. I mean if u buy out Staal and trade Georgiev forcing a team to take Smith along as well, u save the embarrassment of ending Henrik time here and get the same cap relief.

I get it. Smith is hard to trade, but not impossible going into his last year of a contract.