• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What To Do With Pick 22?

Keirik

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I think they need to think in that direction, and that package *should* be worth a good 2C, with some control, but the question is, does that target even exist?

I caught a segment in TSN last night where they stated that some teams would be under an internal cap of around 70 million due to decreasing revenues, gotta go after those team, I think, with eminently controllable assets. Picks and ELCs.

I agree. I think they need to think in that direction, and that package *should* be worth a good 2C, with some control, but the question is, does that target even exist?

I caught a segment in TSN last night where they stated that some teams would be under an internal cap of around 70 million due to decreasing revenues, gotta go after those team, I think, with eminently controllable assets. Picks and ELCs.

Yeah, I was just coming to post this. We don't know who those teams are, but if it's even remotely accurate, there's probably a small cache of players we never would have thought were available who actually are.

I'm just spitballing here, but I'd imagine Arizona is definitely on that list. Anaheim, too. Pittsburgh, Columbus, St. Louis, Montreal, San Jose, Minnesota, etc. might be in play as well.

The problem is the age range we're proposing (say 22-25) and under contract long-term is basically non-existent. Most of the guys under contract for multiple years are 25-29, and those under are mostly in need of new deals or "unproven." We're basically looking for a unicorn — Jordan Staal from 2012.

Yeah, I was just coming to post this. We don't know who those teams are, but if it's even remotely accurate, there's probably a small cache of players we never would have thought were available who actually are.

I'm just spitballing here, but I'd imagine Arizona is definitely on that list. Anaheim, too. Pittsburgh, Columbus, St. Louis, Montreal, San Jose, Minnesota, etc. might be in play as well.

The problem is the age range we're proposing (say 22-25) and under contract long-term is basically non-existent. Most of the guys under contract for multiple years are 25-29, and those under are mostly in need of new deals or "unproven." We're basically looking for a unicorn — Jordan Staal from 2012.

From Columbus, PLD and I'd pay handsomely. Several high quality assets, barring #1 overall and Fox.

For St. Louis, last I saw was they were actively trying to re-sign Pietrangelo and they only have 7M in cap space so I'd be shocked if they have an internal limit. Due to the Cap though, if they sign Pietrangelo they need to move guys out. I would love Dunn and Thomas, both RFAs due raises. I'd take a 1 yr cap dumpish player to make it work, like Bozak.

The problem is the age range we're proposing (say 22-25) and under contract long-term is basically non-existent. Most of the guys under contract for multiple years are 25-29, and those under are mostly in need of new deals or "unproven." We're basically looking for a unicorn ? Jordan Staal from 2012.

Christian Dvorak.

I thought we were in love with Anthony Cirelli from that team with no cap space and no 1st round pick.

Some here are fickle. I’m still on the train lol. Or Point but he’s playing so well, thry won’t get rid of him unless they win the cup and decide to plan for other things.

Some here are fickle. I?m still on the train lol. Or Point but he?s playing so well, thry won?t get rid of him unless they win the cup and decide to plan for other things.

I'm fairly certain we could have a bonafide offer of Leon Draisaitl for Lias and a Snickers, and someone here would bitch because of salary cap implication in 2025 and they like having the candy around for when they are feeling a rundown.

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain we could have a bonafide offer of Leon Draisaitl for Lias and a Snickers, and someone here would bitch because of salary cap implication in 2025 and they like having the candy around for when they are feeling a rundown.

Oh here we go, replacing Strome because he benefited from Panarin to a guy riding McDavid's coattails to an insanely expensive contract!

• Like 2

I draft a player like Perrault, Grieg, or Holloway. Re-sign Strome to a short deal and give that pick a couple of years to mature and be ready to step in. I think that?s makes the most sense. We are not 1 player away from winning it all, we are not even contenders yet. So why over pay for someone who?s not a game changer.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I draft a player like Perrault, Grieg, or Holloway. Re-sign Strome to a short deal and give that pick a couple of years to mature and be ready to step in. I think that?s makes the most sense. We are not 1 player away from winning it all, we are not even contenders yet. So why over pay for someone who?s not a game changer.

While the majority here want to see a package trade for a genuine NHL quantity (me included), Gorton may not be able to work the tumblers on that lock in the next 3 and a half weeks. While rankings are not draft order, I did notice that McKenzie penciled Connor Zary in at 22. A long shot to still be around then, but a serious multi-tool C asset if it happened. And, while probably not NHL ready until 22-23, def in for the larger window.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

While the majority here want to see a package trade for a genuine NHL quantity (me included), Gorton may not be able to work the tumblers on that lock in the next 3 and a half weeks. While rankings are not draft order, I did notice that McKenzie penciled Connor Zary in at 22. A long shot to still be around then, but a serious multi-tool C asset if it happened. And, while probably not NHL ready until 22-23, def in for the larger window.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

it is not the time to make a trade for a center or Dman. and we have no cap space. We are in a lame duck situation this season thanks to the Cap and Lundqvist. So just develop the kids, re-sign the UFAs, and hope that our prospects like Miller and Barron come through. Hope that Kakko and Chytil break out. Experiment Lafreniere at Center and RW.

possible trades are Lias Andersson and Smith(50% retained). Smart move would be to trade Trouba's monster contract if there are teams interested, which I kinda doubt.

Getting back to what was said earlier about team having an internal cap.

( saw an article on Buffalo ownership asking its coaching staff to take a pay cut and laying off front office staff etc..) And couple that with an article in Blue Seats Blog written by Dave where he says teams will be going to an internal cap meanwhile Dolan will just spend. Makes our outlook look good, I mean teams will be looking to drop salary and as long as we can stay under the real cap we can get a steal or two. Plus it also looks like a bad year for free agents to get their big payday.

P.S. article also mentions Smith cap hit vs his actual contract for next year, referencing how a team would trade for his cap hit while saving on his actual salary.

• 2 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/2072618/2020/09/21/nhl-staff-mock-draft-2020-changes-in-the-top-three-plus-an-audit-by-nhl-scouts/

For those paywalled - the Athletic does this as a group activity w/the beatwriters, so Carp makes our picks.

Obviously, we're mocked Lafreniere at 1, but 22...

22. New York Rangers: Tyson Foerster, RW, Barrie-OHL

Rick Carpinello: I think there’s a decent chance the Rangers trade this pick in order to fill a more immediate need either on left defense or second-line center. That said, Foerster, a right winger who can play center, checks a lot of boxes. A hard worker who can score and defend, the type of player that was missing in their recent sweep by Carolina, Foerster has an almost-ready NHL body (6-foot-2, 194 pounds) and made a significant jump offensively for Barrie (OHL) from 2018-19, when he had 10 goals and 23 points in 64 games, to 2019-20, when he piled up 36 and 80 in 62 games. He also had 3.62 shots on goal per game, a welcome stat for a pass-first Rangers team. Only question is his skating. He’d likely remain in junior hockey working on that.

From Pronman's talk w/scouts about this draft

A couple of scouts thought Mysak and Foerster went too high and wouldn’t go in the first round. Based on my understanding, both have a decent chance to go on Day 1. Foerster more in the 25-35 range, and Mysak more likely as one of the last few picks in the first round.

https://theathletic.com/2072618/2020/09/21/nhl-staff-mock-draft-2020-changes-in-the-top-three-plus-an-audit-by-nhl-scouts/

For those paywalled - the Athletic does this as a group activity w/the beatwriters, so Carp makes our picks.

Obviously, we're mocked Lafreniere at 1, but 22...

Carp's logic doesn't make sense. You don't draft a guy today, who's a year or 2 away from the NHL, to address a gap in the series you just lost.

Unless he's just trying fill a word count and make a comment for comment's sake, that's a bogus take.

Carp's logic doesn't make sense. You don't draft a guy today, who's a year or 2 away from the NHL, to address a gap in the series you just lost.

Unless he's just trying fill a word count and make a comment for comment's sake, that's a bogus take.

It's a weird way of saying that the Rangers have no shoot-first players aside from Mika. He's not wrong...just strange.

I think you have to look at players like Miller and Lundkvist, two guys who were drafted in the 20s, now two years removed from their draft, and still not even in the organization. It makes absolutely no sense to pick a guy based on current team needs.

Which is 100% fine, but we're draft #1OA and looking to make an improvement on last season. There's almost no reason to keep that pick unless you just simply can't find someone to pay a decent price for it.

BPA is what to do with Pick 22 (if it's not moved in a deal to get better now). Drafting anyone, ever, for positional need is always a recipe for disaster. Prospects tend to take years to develop — years in which teams don't actively hold out filling holes in their roster waiting for said prospect to fill it.