• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers to Add "Muscle and Grit" for Next Season

Phil

Lawson Crouse is another guy I like. Similar to a Gauthier, but a little more pollished as a hockey player. Has some good skill, too. Probably more of a Kreider-lite than a Hartnell, though.

Yeah, me too, perfect bottom 3 guy and even a good bottom 6.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why the Lias total failure hurts.

I've said this before, and I don't want to sound even a hair down on Zibanejad or Panarin, but they're both super, super soft hockey players, even so I don't want to judge them much based on the three pseudo playoff games we saw, but I think there's plenty of logic here.

Panarin's playoff performances in the past definitely have left a lot to be desired. Just ask Blue Jackets and Blackhawks fans.

You can't just bring in one guy and suddenly act like you're gritty. We did that for YEARS. It's got to be up and down the lineup - someone to make your opponents work just a little harder for the open pucks every time. Kreider's like that when he's on, as is Panarin (yeah, sorry, anyone who works like he usually does is gritty enough to play this style. It's not size, it's not how hard you hit, it's how hard the opponent needs to work to get the puck back).

Ideally, you get a Matt Tkachuk or a Jake Voracek and you just hug them forever. Josh Anderson isn't a bad call here.

This is why the Lias total failure hurts.

I've said this before, and I don't want to sound even a hair down on Zibanejad or Panarin, but they're both super, super soft hockey players, even so I don't want to judge them much based on the three pseudo playoff games we saw, but I think there's plenty of logic here.

Yeah, it does. When I look at future projections, thats exactly the player they need.

Maybe one of the issues was the org trying to turn him into that and he wants to be a skill guy like Pettersson.

Who ever you add must also have skill.

Under contract/down seasons with teams in cap trouble:

Dzingel

Roussel

Komorov

Sam Bennet

Josh Anderson

Annoying Fast replacements:

Kapanen

Lehkonen

UFA

Matt Martin

Byfuglien

Simmonds

Boyle

Oh, I'd be all over Lehkonen if the Habs are willing to deal.

Martin, Byfuglien, Simmonds, etc. are all no-gos in my world. They're not effective hockey players anymore.

Actually would make sense to package Gauthier for Crouse.

No, it'd be nice to have both continue to grow and meet their potential. Gauthier is a physical specimen that is trying to figure out how to use that strength on ice. Additionally, they're both big, fast, and have skill. That's always good to have.

Maroon and Boyle, yes. Lemieux, no. He's not good at anything. Below replacement level in almost every facet. They should be looking to move him, honestly. He's like an even shittier Ryan Hollweg.

Agreed. He's also, clearly, a leadership staple.

He’s not my favorite Ranger by any means but he comes cheap and I’d really like to keep that 4th line close to minimum without having any super soft players. Plus he’s at least young high the rest of the line wouldn’t be. I’d really like that 4th line and all are tradeable if next seasons trade deadline shows us under performing.

so who are these gritty physical players going to replace?

on forward we got: Lemieux who is obviously physical. Zib, Kreider, and Panarin are not going anywhere. Buch and Howden are gritty and physical. Kakko is only 19 I doubt he is getting replaced yet. Di Giuseppe, Fast, Gauthier and McKegg are all gritty. McKegg will be gone so his spot could be upgraded possibly same with Fast. That leaves us with Chytil and Strome. Is that who they are replacing?

On defense we got Smith and Staal who can only be bought out, but they are ok physically and are gritty.

Trouba is pretty physical but needs to be moved because of his contract and terrible defensive mistakes he is making.

Lindgren is physical and gritty

Fox is not getting traded probably, but he is not very physical so maybe they do consider trading him.

ADA is a bit more physical and gritty than Fox.

Hajek maybe is not very gritty or physical, but he doesn't have much trade value.

so who are these gritty physical players going to replace?

on forward we got: Lemieux who is obviously physical. Zib, Kreider, and Panarin are not going anywhere. Buch and Howden are gritty and physical. Kakko is only 19 I doubt he is getting replaced yet. Di Giuseppe, Fast, Gauthier and McKegg are all gritty. McKegg will be gone so his spot could be upgraded possibly same with Fast. That leaves us with Chytil and Strome. Is that who they are replacing?

On defense we got Smith and Staal who can only be bought out, but they are ok physically and are gritty.

Trouba is pretty physical but needs to be moved because of his contract and terrible defensive mistakes he is making.

Lindgren is physical and gritty

Fox is not getting traded probably, but he is not very physical so maybe they do consider trading him.

ADA is a bit more physical and gritty than Fox.

Hajek maybe is not very gritty or physical, but he doesn't have much trade value.

There are so few irreplaceable players on this team its hardly worth discussion. The entirety of the bottom 6 is replaceable (presuming Kakko is a top 6 guy next year). Start there to answer your initial question.

We need to find grit that can play, not just grit for the sake of irritation. We don;t have much in the way of grit with talent.

• Like 1

I think what the NYR lack is a true identity. They don't know who they are yet and I think part of that has to fall on Quinn. When Torts was the coach, there was no doubt who they were trying to be. Remember, Davidson didn't hire Quinn, and that plays a part in all things moving forward.

Based on the personnel they have now? They are a semi-fast, semi-talented, defensively-challenged team. That's not going to get it done by any stretch. They need depth and grit.to support the talent. When you don't have that you get guys like Chytil playing a role he's not suited for.

All part of the rebuild.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 3

I think what the NYR lack is a true identity. They don't know who they are yet and I think part of that has to fall on Quinn. When Torts was the coach, there was no doubt who they were trying to be. Remember, Davidson didn't hire Quinn, and that plays a part in all things moving forward.

Based on the personnel they have now? They are a semi-fast, semi-talented, defensively-challenged team. That's not going to get it done by any stretch. They need depth and grit.to support the talent. When you don't have that you get guys like Chytil playing a role he's not suited for.

All part of the rebuild.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Welcome to the site. Good observations.

Also I am confused, we outhit the Canes so the grit and physicality, while are always needed, were not a reason we lost this.

Our offense wasn't able to produce, we also have very weak offense all season long from our bottom 2 lines, and the Carolina coaching staff is way better than ours.

Lots of hits don't always make you a tough team.

It's more a reflection of your team not having the puck.

• Like 1

Lots of hits don't always make you a tough team.

It's more a reflection of your team not having the puck.

There's also smart hitting and dumb hitting. Hitting should have a purpose. It's not just going out there and charging whatever moves. Smart, experienced players know the difference (and so do coaches).