• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Locking Up Tony DeAngelo is Far From No-Brainer

Phil

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strome, Deangelo, Kreider... all these danger zone contracts are giving me anxiety.

I kinda agree with the "danger zone" thing, but you have to have some of them. Are we supposed to only have Panarin and Mika + players like Lemieux, Fast, Howden and rookies all the time? Because thats all the players you get under the "danger zone".

Need some better players that are not stars, and they have to get paid too. Top 6 forwards and top 4 D's can be "danger zone" contracts. Just dont give them out to older players that likely will become 4th liners or 7th D's before the contract is done.

Both Strome and ADA will be easy to trade in 2-3 years if we need the cap. They are both young and good players. The same with Buch if they re-sign him. Kreider could become a problem, but thats another discussion.

They should have bridged Deangelo last off season. 1 year deals for him and Lemieux was dumb and desperate.

Dont care about Lemieux, he can walk and it wouldn’t bother me but ADA is a nice asset. In retrospect they should’ve given him 2-3 year deal around $3M. Wonder if he would’ve taken it

I think they would have liked to do that, but they didn't have money. They didn't have money because they apparently couldn't find a taker for Namestnikov until the season was here.

Knowing what they know now, I don't think they would have made the Trouba trade and they would not have been so up against the cap. That's not a slight against Trouba. That's more of a vote of confidence in Fox and DeAngelo.

I think the idea that Trouba wasn't needed because of the emergence of Fox and AdA kind of skips over the fact that neither of those 2 young guys get the D Zone starts and tough assignments that Trouba is asked to do.

The contract doesn't look great at this point, but a player like him was needed regardless of how good AdA and Fox have been.

I think the idea that Trouba wasn't needed because of the emergence of Fox and AdA kind of skips over the fact that neither of those 2 young guys get the D Zone starts and tough assignments that Trouba is asked to do.

The contract doesn't look great at this point, but a player like him was needed regardless of how good AdA and Fox have been.

I think if you look at some of his advanced stats, he's not really good at that job though.

Or at least he was as good at it as Skjei who everyone said sucked, last time I compared them.

He could have got better since then.

I think if you look at some of his advanced stats, he's not really good at that job though.

Or at least he was as good at it as Skjei who everyone said sucked, last time I compared them.

I would think shitty Skjei play and decent Trouba play would equal meh stats for the pair.

Either way I think it's safe to say he performed way better in that role than ADA or Fox (at this point is his career) would.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I would think shitty Skjei play and decent Trouba play would equal meh stats for the pair.

Either way I think it's safe to say he performed way better in that role than ADA or Fox (at this point is his career) would.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah I mean in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, right?

ADA sure. He's a terrible defender.

Fox? Who knows? we're not going to know while Trouba blocks them both.

It's also a lot of money to pay somebody for the baseline of "be better defensively than ADA".

Yeah I mean in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, right?

ADA sure. He's a terrible defender.

Fox? Who knows? we're not going to know while Trouba blocks them both.

It's also a lot of money to pay somebody for the baseline of "be better defensively than ADA".

Good problem to have, I think.

Hard to swallow paying 15m on the right side for the next two years, minimum, though. Doubly so when the left side so desperately needs help beyond Lindgren. Triply so with the uncertainty of the financial situation now.

Good problem to have, I think.

Hard to swallow paying 15m on the right side for the next two years, minimum, though. Doubly so when the left side so desperately needs help beyond Lindgren. Triply so with the uncertainty of the financial situation now.

Easier to swallow when you get rid of 15m in dead weight on the left side. And hopefully some kids emerge as legit NHLers.

And we can still explore ADA on the left side.

I mean, sure. There might be an argument to be had whether he was the right guy or not.

That doesn’t make the argument that he is surplus to requirements because of AdA and Fox any less flawed however.

I mean, sure. There might be an argument to be had whether he was the right guy or not.

That doesn?t make the argument that he is surplus to requirements because of AdA and Fox any less flawed however.

The argument is strictly from a salary cap standpoint.

There's currently one player on RD who's not worth the price tag. It's Trouba.

That doesn’t make the argument that he is surplus to requirements because of AdA and Fox any less flawed however.

There’s two sides to the Trouba coin to me.

One side, he was never worth and had never done enough to earn a contract of north of $55 million and $8 million per and be one if the 10 highest paid D in the league.

Other side, he’s absolutely better then what he has shown thus far as a Ranger.

While I certainly believe he will improve and his struggles were partially caused by his clear confusion in the D system they play, carrying Skjei who will never be an effective D zone defender, and always drawing the toughest assignment, he’s overpaid by about $1.5 million per.

That’s fine, but it’s not really the point I’m addressing.

There are several people in this thread making the point that because Fox and AdA have turned out so good, signing Trouba wasn’t necessary. That’s inaccurate. They don’t do the same job. Although like I said you can argue whether Trouba was the right guy.

Q? Can ADA continue the pace - the upward trajectory? I'm hopeful that as he ages into the position, he just gets better and better. Let's not forget the common wisdom about D-men taking longer to reach max skill and effectiveness. That and I think the kid has straightened his thinking on how to be a pro in the NHL and what it takes to become consistent.

Fox? A gem getting more polished with each game.

Trouba? I agree with RangersIn7, "Other side, he’s absolutely better then what he has shown thus far as a Ranger." I want to see Trouba play consistently with the snarl he showed late in the season. Absolutely standing guys up and putting on monsterous and effective hits to our opponents. Keep that up consistently along with developing the offensive numbers (once our D system gets established) and he'll be worth his contract IMO.

That?s fine, but it?s not really the point I?m addressing.

There are several people in this thread making the point that because Fox and AdA have turned out so good, signing Trouba wasn?t necessary. That?s inaccurate. They don?t do the same job. Although like I said you can argue whether Trouba was the right guy.

Yes I don't think you can have that argument without having it holistically.

You don't need Trouba doing an average job and making $8 million when you've got to pay ADA and Fox. If Trouba was doing a great job then you can say he's worth it for doing something the other 2 aren't.

To me getting rid of ADA Because of the presence of Fox makes as much sense as saying get rid of Strome because we have Howden.

I get it, Fox is a lot more advanced but still. aDA offensively is elite. There is no way right now to know if Fox will 100% take that next step and he’s under contract for quite a wHile longer. Longvenligh to bridge ADA and see where we are by 2023

Howden has shown very little and could easily be replaced. Fox has the same number of points as Howden in half as many games. I don't see the comparison between the two situations. Strome had pretty solid season despite falling off some lately. I honestly think ADA's future here depends on the ask dollars and term wise. Bridging him may make the most sense. The Trouba deal is going to sting along the way and is something they'll have to work around. Was it worth it I guess time will tell but there will probably be some casualties along the way.

To me getting rid of ADA Because of the presence of Fox makes as much sense as saying get rid of Strome because we have Howden.

I get it, Fox is a lot more advanced but still. aDA offensively is elite. There is no way right now to know if Fox will 100% take that next step and he?s under contract for quite a wHile longer. Longvenligh to bridge ADA and see where we are by 2023

There's not a single person here saying get rid of ADA because you have Fox without the boat loads of context that you're leaving out with your comparison.

You simply can't tie up ADA long-term when you have Trouba and Fox AND you have more than enough right side defense coming. Fox will need to get paid and is a better all-around defenseman than ADA. It's a matter of how much you're sinking into the right side. Trouba is really the issue and you'll lose ADA for it eventually because ADA wants to and should get paid.

Howden is trash. Use a better player like Chytil.

If Chytil had a breakout year we wouldn't be talking about paying Strome at all. Because Mika is due a new $10 million deal soon, Chytil would have been getting possibly a Barkov like hit (comparably since Barkov signed years ago) so you can't sign strong because you can't have that much money tied up in one position (This is also in a theoretical world where the Rangers have plenty of centers.)

The reality is the Rangers don't have centers, and they have plenty of right side D. So that comparison doesn't really hold.

Fox has 2 years left on his ELC before many years as a RFA. A lot can happen by then, including a lot of dead cap space and some big horrible contracts will be gone.

I dont get this "you cant pay much money for 3 RHD's" thing. 1) yes you can. 2) Fox won't get paid before atleast 2022. 3) One of the 3 could switch to the left side.

ADA (6m) - Trouba (8m)

Lindgren (ELC) - Fox (ELC)

Someone - Lundkvist (ELC)

If this is the defense in the 2021/22 season. How is this too much money for the D? in 2022 Fox will get paid, Lindgren will be bridged, Lundkvist still on ELC and a 3rd pair LD shouldnt be too expensive. Still not too much money on the D.

• Like 1