• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The State Of Rock Music

NYR2711

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Weir And Wolf Bros: Tiny Desk Concert

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/02/809860805/bob-weir-and-wolf-bros-tiny-desk-concert

The third song features this young woman playing harp and is just awesome!

WOW! My sister just sent me a text saying the harpist, Mikaela Davis, will be playing a show near me on Friday, March 12: https://www.liveatthefalcon.com/

I'll be there. Anyone want to meet up for a beer?

I do not disagree but there was plenty of good rock music up until the 2000s

I have to agree here. I would even go up to as late as 2010. I feel like the last 10 years, what they consider rock is more pop stuff. I know Phil is not gonna like this, but they were talking about Ghost and how people consider the a metal band, but they were saying that they really aren't. Not that there was anything wrong with them, but they don't have the metal sound to them. Thats was what really got them into talking about using different genre names instead of the one rock label. There are no more rock stations in the big markets, and the ones that are there don't play anything thats close to what rock used to be. Grant Random was saying how there are no channels like Octane playing newer hard rock and giving these new bands a chance, and how a lot of these bands are going more with SiriusXM because they can get airtime on it over terrestrial radio.

ITT: "Damn kids ruined my rock music"

Ok grandpa.

This came out last month -

This band is legit incredible and is releasing their 9th full length next month -

There's a lot of willful ignorance in this thread about the state of rock music.

ITT: "Damn kids ruined my rock music"

Ok grandpa.

This came out last month -

This band is legit incredible and is releasing their 9th full length next month -

There's a lot of willful ignorance in this thread about the state of rock music.

Grandpa my ass.

Willful ignorance? Hardly. The state of GOOD current rock music sucks.

• Like 1

I mean, music is subjective. "Good" is a relative term. Chief may not feel there's been any good rock since the hair bands, and that's his — sorry, I can't. I tried. I can't get through it without laughing. Hair bands — Van fucking Halen — were the last great "rock" acts.

giphy.gif

I saw The Last Waltz movie long ago in a surround-sound small theater that was packed -- it really felt like we were at that concert. They cranked the speakers...and that smoke haze was thick!

Hope you weren't driving and that is a great concert movie. I recently watched "Concert for George" that I really liked and his son looks and plays guitar like him.

I mean, music is subjective. "Good" is a relative term. Chief may not feel there's been any good rock since the hair bands, and that's his — sorry, I can't. I tried. I can't get through it without laughing. Hair bands — Van fucking Halen — were the last great "rock" acts.

giphy.gif

Agreed on that. And for the record I personally don't even like the hair bands and hate Van Halen. In fact pretty sick of VH

I can't believe we're talking about Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and The Rolling Stones in juxtaposition of CURRENT ROCK MUSIC.

Did you guys listen to any of the music I've posted in this thread? Or are you gonna cover your ears and complain more about current rock music?

"BITTERNESS HAS NO END"

I can't believe we're talking about Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and The Rolling Stones in juxtaposition of CURRENT ROCK MUSIC.

Did you guys listen to any of the music I've posted in this thread? Or are you gonna cover your ears and complain more about current rock music?

"BITTERNESS HAS NO END"

Yeah, it's pretty funny considering one is not around anymore and the other 2 should've stopped a long time ago.

"BITTERNESS HAS NO END"

we're too fucking old

"BITTERNESS HAS NO END"

Current rock music vs GOOD current rock music. Hate on the titans of the late 60's and 70's all you want. Not one CURRENT rock band has a catalog of a Zep, Stones, Who, Beatles, Floyd, etc. What's the quote about a thousand monkeys in a room with a thousand typewriters will eventually write War and Peace? I haven't seen any of these new bands write anything on the order of Stairway, Jumping Jack, Won't get Fooled Again, While my Guitar Gently Weeps or Wish You Here and THEN followed it up with many more. Are there some good new(er) songs and bands out? Yeah. But none with the talent or creativity of the "founders"