• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

OffthePost

This thread is for hockey book recommendations and discussion.

For starters a couple books I've read are:

Playing With Fire

http://www.amazon.com/Playing-Fire-Theo-Fleury/dp/1600786375/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368583847&sr=1-6&keywords=playing+with+fire

Saving Face

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Face-History-Goalie-Mask/dp/0470155582/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368583784&sr=1-1&keywords=saving+face+the+art+and+history+of+the+goalie+mask

What hockey books have you read and would like to converse/debate the merits of?

The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL by Ross Bernstein

J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey by Jeremy Roenick

Tough Guy: My Life on the Edge by Bob Probert

Still wanna read Derek Sanderson's book Crossing the Line and Ken Dryden's The Game.

The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL by Ross Bernstein

J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey by Jeremy Roenick

Still wanna read Derek Sanderson's book Crossing the Line and Ken Dryden's The Game.

It's all starting to make sense....:D I hear Asham is coming out with a children's book.

Is it Neil Smith's book that has all of the inside stories on trades throughout the years? I wanted to check that one out but it's price is pretty steep IIRC.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not much of a reader, but I did read this. I enjoyed it a lot. I also have a book called "Thin Ice" A season in hell with the New York Rangers. It's from 1982 and was written by Larry Sloman. I haven't read it in over 25 years. It includes, Duguay, Vickers, Hospodar, Dave Maloney, Beck, Murdoch, Greschner, and others. The book is R-rated. I think you'd love it. There's a quote on the back cover that says "A lot of people envy the New York Rangers. They fantasize about the 6 figure contracts, the glamorous perks, the adulation of fans, the adoration of beautiful and willing women ... But there's two sides to being a New York Ranger. There are grueling workouts in sub zero weather .. the agony of playing with torn ligaments, the wrenching loneliness of being a country boy in a city bigger and colder than anything in the Canadian north. And the fact that in the glittering sports capital, fame lasts about as long as ice in August. Today's superstar may be tomorrow's fading memory"

I dug JR's book too, but I found it misleading. With a title like that, you'd think he'd have gone after more than just Marleau, only to retreat on it pages later and talk about how he thinks he's a great player still.

I read it expecting a lot more dirt. Esposito's "Thunder and Lightning" is way dirtier. He shits on a lot of guys.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love Dryden's book.

Black Ice: The Val James Story

Ed Arnold - Showtime

Jack Falla - Open Ice: Reflections and Confessions of a Hockey Lifer

Honestly one of the most memorable books I have ever read. It's not really an NHLer book, but there are tons of great moments about watching games with his father and moments with his grandkids and cursing out Alexander Frolov over fantasy. You won't get the insights that some of the other memoirs from players/coaches have, but it's great. And it's an easy read, think I did it in two sitting.s

• 1 year later...

Bump...

Just finished Fleury's book and the Derek Boogard biography in the last month or so.

Fleury's is some of the most fun I've ever had reading about an addict. That guy was nuts.

Boogard's book is also really insightful. There are some pretty gritty details that are painful to read. He was also really good friends with Gaborik, which I wasn't aware of.

Both are really good reads.

Not hockey related, but I just started "Where Men Win Glory," Jon Krakauer's book about Pat Tillman. Started it last night and I was hooked in the prologue.

Loved both those books, especially Fleury's. Boogard's (and Fleury's to an extent) was a little tough to read at times. Really felt for him and those closest to him.

The only other book I have read that compares is the Sean Pronger book. Yeah I know, he sucked, but he knows it and it's pretty funny. I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeyman-Triumphs-Numerous-Defeats-Everything/dp/0143181025

I also recommend this one, really good insight into the KHL. Dave King coaching Magnitogorsk in Malkin's last season.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Russia-Russian-Super-League/dp/0771095708

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Loved both those books, especially Fleury's. Boogard's (and Fleury's to an extent) was a little tough to read at times. Really felt for him and those closest to him.

The only other book I have read that compares is the Sean Pronger book. Yeah I know, he sucked, but he knows it and it's pretty funny. I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeyman-Triumphs-Numerous-Defeats-Everything/dp/0143181025

I also recommend this one, really good insight into the KHL. Dave King coaching Magnitogorsk in Malkin's last season.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Russia-Russian-Super-League/dp/0771095708

I loved Fleury's book, I'll give Boogard's and Pronger's a go. They'll hold me off until Avery's book comes out.

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

I loved Fleury's book, I'll give Boogard's and Pronger's a go. They'll hold me off until Avery's book comes out.

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

Boogard was heartbreaking to read how his life unraveled. Pronger just funny. It was great to read a down to earth account of the average hockey player. He never stops talking about how he beat Yzerman on his 1st NHL faceoff [emoji23]

• 3 months later...
I gotta get it. His twitter q and A was hilarious. If you haven't watch, go watch them from yesterday, starting Around noon

Yeah, best was the question about which player he didnt like....then he goes on saying how cant i answer that, i like all players i played with, etc.......ruslan fedotenko......

Archived