Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hockey Books

Member Mite Division OffthePost's Avatar

Hockey Books

This thread is for hockey book recommendations and discussion.

For starters a couple books I've read are:

Playing With Fire
    http://www.amazon.com/Playing-Fire-T...ying+with+fire

Saving Face
    http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Face-Hi...he+goalie+mask

What hockey books have you read and would like to converse/debate the merits of?

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Fleury's book was great
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Messier.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Losing the Edge - The Rise and Fall of Stanley Cup Champions New York Rangers

Greatest Hockey Stories Ever Told

Original Six - The Stories of Hockey's Classic Era

Senior Member Midget Division

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL by Ross Bernstein

J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey by Jeremy Roenick

Tough Guy: My Life on the Edge by Bob Probert

Still wanna read Derek Sanderson's book Crossing the Line and Ken Dryden's The Game.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    Money Players: The Amazing Rise and Fall of Bob Goodenow and the NHLPA by Bruce Dowbiggin
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL by Ross Bernstein

J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey by Jeremy Roenick

Still wanna read Derek Sanderson's book Crossing the Line and Ken Dryden's The Game.
    It's all starting to make sense.... I hear Asham is coming out with a children's book.

Is it Neil Smith's book that has all of the inside stories on trades throughout the years? I wanted to check that one out but it's price is pretty steep IIRC.
    Last edited by Ba Ba Bluey; 05-15-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Outside of The code...

All the hockey books I've read are in regards to theory, coaching, drills, etc.
    Lots of good books out there from former/current coaches.

Member Mite Division stevejrogers's Avatar
    How is that book that came out on the 1994 Devils series?

Also for some reason I'm interested in the rise and decline of the Icelander Dynasty, any good books there?

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie

I'm not much of a reader, but I did read this. I enjoyed it a lot. I also have a book called "Thin Ice" A season in hell with the New York Rangers. It's from 1982 and was written by Larry Sloman. I haven't read it in over 25 years. It includes, Duguay, Vickers, Hospodar, Dave Maloney, Beck, Murdoch, Greschner, and others. The book is R-rated. I think you'd love it. There's a quote on the back cover that says "A lot of people envy the New York Rangers. They fantasize about the 6 figure contracts, the glamorous perks, the adulation of fans, the adoration of beautiful and willing women ... But there's two sides to being a New York Ranger. There are grueling workouts in sub zero weather .. the agony of playing with torn ligaments, the wrenching loneliness of being a country boy in a city bigger and colder than anything in the Canadian north. And the fact that in the glittering sports capital, fame lasts about as long as ice in August. Today's superstar may be tomorrow's fading memory"
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I dug JR's book too, but I found it misleading. With a title like that, you'd think he'd have gone after more than just Marleau, only to retreat on it pages later and talk about how he thinks he's a great player still.

I read it expecting a lot more dirt. Esposito's "Thunder and Lightning" is way dirtier. He shits on a lot of guys.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Book readers are smug...

Member Mite Division OffthePost's Avatar

Breaking Away

After his Player's Tribune article "Black and Blue," I ordered a copy of Patrick O'Sullivan's memoir Breaking Away. Below I'm citing a few quotes for those who haven't read it and may be considering it or those who haven't heard of it at all.

"I'll never understand why my father had me pop Steve [real name witheld by author]. ... Was it that my father thought he needed to wake me up? Or just to prove to himself and to me that he was in complete control?" --on being told to fight a friend in practice
    "...a threat to kill me...I had always thought it was hyperbole...but I had never seen him in this state before. ... I thought I had to fear for my life because of how little value he found in his own."
    In the NHL O'Sullivan played for LA under Marc Crawford, a man who was in many ways like Patrick's father.

"I was singled out and humiliated in front of all my teammates. ... [They] talked to me about it, and the veterans told me that Crow's running me was the worst they had ever seen. ... they didn't know how I could take it.

"My standard for bad stuff is different than yours."

There are incidents that have shock value in O'Sullivan's book, but I'm not going to quote them here. It sounds a bit demented to say a book like this is a "good read," however, it is certainly one worthy of the time for people who love the game, for people who care about human integrity, and for people who may be afraid to step in where they think they don't belong.

"I'll be a good father to my sons, but not only that. I'll look at other families and ask the hard question: Would I treat my kids that way? And if I don't like what I see, I'll say something and do something about it. If I see a kid in trouble, it won't be left to that kid to call 911 in the middle of the night." --Patrick O'Sullivan, Breaking Away (2015)

Deleted Midget Division
    If Sean Avery every puts out a book, boy oh boy would it ever be interesting.

The only question is, would editions outside of the first prints be considered sloppy seconds?

Moderator Junior Division

Love Dryden's book.

Black Ice: The Val James Story
    Ed Arnold - Showtime

Jack Falla - Open Ice: Reflections and Confessions of a Hockey Lifer
    Honestly one of the most memorable books I have ever read. It's not really an NHLer book, but there are tons of great moments about watching games with his father and moments with his grandkids and cursing out Alexander Frolov over fantasy. You won't get the insights that some of the other memoirs from players/coaches have, but it's great. And it's an easy read, think I did it in two sitting.s

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I hear the new JR book is really good. I haven't gotten it yet, still a couple of books in my cue on my kindle before I get to it. He was on Opie and Jimmy and had a great interview as well while doing press for this book.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    The new Tie Domi book is better than I thought it would be.

Moderator Junior Division
    Bump...

Just finished Fleury's book and the Derek Boogard biography in the last month or so.

Fleury's is some of the most fun I've ever had reading about an addict. That guy was nuts.
    Boogard's book is also really insightful. There are some pretty gritty details that are painful to read. He was also really good friends with Gaborik, which I wasn't aware of.

Both are really good reads.

Not hockey related, but I just started "Where Men Win Glory," Jon Krakauer's book about Pat Tillman. Started it last night and I was hooked in the prologue.

Senior Member Squirt Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    Loved both those books, especially Fleury's. Boogard's (and Fleury's to an extent) was a little tough to read at times. Really felt for him and those closest to him.

The only other book I have read that compares is the Sean Pronger book. Yeah I know, he sucked, but he knows it and it's pretty funny. I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeyman-.../dp/0143181025

I also recommend this one, really good insight into the KHL. Dave King coaching Magnitogorsk in Malkin's last season.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Russia.../dp/0771095708

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast