• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Do You Take Off Your Shoes/Sneakers When You Visit Someone Else's Home/Apt?

Parsley

Do you take off shoes/sneakers inside someone else's house/apt?Yr  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take off shoes/sneakers inside someone else's house/apt?Yr

• Yes
    • No, not unless asked to do so

Question....

Do you automatically take off your shoes when you are visiting a friend/relative? Or do you walk around their house/apartment with shoes on unless they ask you to take them off?

I've noticed most of my wife's family leave their shoes on, while my friends and family take theirs off. I myself always take off shoes when stepping foot inside someones place for a visit.

I've noticed in america there is a 50/50 split on this issue. Where as in Canada it is virtually universal - shoes come off

Interesting, I was wondering what people in other countries would say. Thanks for responding. My inlaws are from a very rural area, where my side of the family is more urban/suburban.....I'm wondering if that is a difference maker here in the U.S.

Interesting, I was wondering what people in other countries would say. Thanks for responding. My inlaws are from a very rural area, where my side of the family is more urban/suburban.....I'm wondering if that is a difference maker here in the U.S.

I'm assuming it is. Lots of my city friends keep them on, all of our rural situated friends take them off immediately.

Here in The Netherlands it's a bit of a split, but I'd say must people take them off or ask whether or not too. I always take them off, if not, then it's usually because I won't be staying for more than a few minutes or because we'll be walking in and out with whatever we are doing.

General rule in our house is that you take them off when you go upstairs and that guests can do whatever they want, but as a family we take them off.

Great responses. Thanks.

My wife, who never used to take them off growing up now feels the same way I do. It was funny seeing the people at the party we hosted shoe vs. shoeless based on family relation.

We did not make it mandatory for people to take them off, so I was just curious what others viewpoints were.

Always. I don't care if someone doesn't do that at my place but most people I know actually don't and I find it strange. Seems disrespectful. The only time it doesn't is if it's a gathering or party where theres more than a couple people, and/or if you're likely to be standing up most of the time. In that case, it seems unavoidable, and even awkward to leave them on. That or like Jules said, if you're in and out.

But it's also weird to ask "hey you mind taking your shoes off" unless you obviously just vacuumed, have a really nice place with special floors, or you live with a female that prohibits it.

Always. I don't care if someone doesn't do that at my place but most people I know actually don't and I find it strange. Seems disrespectful. The only time it doesn't is if it's a gathering or party where theres more than a couple people, and/or if you're likely to be standing up most of the time. In that case, it seems unavoidable, and even awkward to leave them on. That or like Jules said, if you're in and out.

But it's also weird to ask "hey you mind taking your shoes off" unless you obviously just vacuumed, have a really nice place with special floors, or you live with a female that prohibits it.

Pretty much how I feel.

In their defense, I wouldn't have thought of that either. Even though I take them off anyways.

Gotcha. Like I said, we didn't make it mandatory so I'm not pissed for those who didn't. I just found it intersting the regional difference her family vs. mine.

The only thing I hate about taking off my shoes is that it makes me feel even shorter than I already am. I've been at places where I'm shoeless and I'm talking to a girl in heels or a guy in boots, and I realize like "wtf am I doing? why am I making myself feel all shrimpy" and put my shoes back on.

Nice. Smooth Chizz.

Haha, thanks. This way it eliminates that awkwardness of having a person ask you to take your shoes off. Me personally, I couldn't care less if someone wore shoes in my house. If they make a mess, I'll clean it up when they leave. Not the end of the world.

Leave them on unless requested to take them off.

This. I'd rather people keep their shoes on in my apartment, in most cases, because some people just have horrible smelling feet. I'd rather deal with sweeping up a little extra dirt than deal with smelling your toe cheese.

It depends on the people,for people that seem neat and very uptight,I take them off and for people that seem more laid back ill leave them on

I don't think it's about being "uptight" vs. "laidback". I think it's the cleanliness perception.

I'm sure some "laidback" people may prefer a house free of shoe walkers.

This. I'd rather people keep their shoes on in my apartment, in most cases, because some people just have horrible smelling feet. I'd rather deal with sweeping up a little extra dirt than deal with smelling your toe cheese.

LOL. Nasty!

Archived