Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Non BSBH Fantasy Baseball Discussions

I would grab hosmer if i were you

Senior Member Junior Division
    playing fantasy baseball is so fucking frustrating when there is about 3-4 teams that play regularly, then another 3-4 teams already bailed on the season, and the rest of the teams are going through the process.....Its a month into the season and people are already not setting line ups, etc....The worst is when you propose a trade and their is no response for days. Then the stupid trade proposals like the one offered for me, Segura/Jansen for Lowrie/Lorenzo Cain....Seriously that trade does not help me anywhere! This league im in is a paid keeper league so FUCKING PLAY THE DAMN GAME!

*end of rant*

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    playing fantasy baseball is so fucking frustrating when there is about 3-4 teams that play regularly, then another 3-4 teams already bailed on the season, and the rest of the teams are going through the process.....Its a month into the season and people are already not setting line ups, etc....The worst is when you propose a trade and their is no response for days. Then the stupid trade proposals like the one offered for me, Segura/Jansen for Lowrie/Lorenzo Cain....Seriously that trade does not help me anywhere! This league im in is a paid keeper league so FUCKING PLAY THE DAMN GAME!

*end of rant*
    Agreed. I liked this article from Yahoo's Scott Pianowski called "The six trade partners you meet in hell."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantas...180647187.html

I particularly enjoyed these ones:
    The Guy Who Thinks Three 4s Equal A Ten
    A baseball season isn't official until the first collection offer comes back. No, I'm not gonna move Clayton Kershaw for your Easter basket of Ryan Raburn, Omar Infante and Scott Feldman. But I appreciate your dexterity test. I hit the bull's eye every night.
    The Manifesto Writer
    Not content to throw you a benevolent trade offer, he has to write a five-page explanation of how the shakedown helps your team. Sometimes it's a case of trying too hard, and other times it's simply a cocktail of condescension. Bottom line, the longer the pitch, the less likely it's something that helps you. (The lawyers and the Sorkin fans love this move. The volume is a dead giveaway. Keep them in skim mode at all times.)
    The Guy Who Never Responds
    Sometimes the absentee owner has completely bailed on his team - look at his active roster, see if he's ignored dead spots. Other times, you realize you're dealing with someone who isn't tech savvy - maybe they don't have offers filtered to their email. Try a direct contact before you give up on them completely.
    The first one Peetie has dealt with, the last one you're dealing with BH. As for me? I'm probably the guy in the second one, considering how I'm in law school and have a tendency to over-explain my offers. But it's not because I'm trying to talk them in to it, it's because I don't want them to think I'm trying a lowball "wool over the eyes" type of move.

I have awesome hitting and need a little more pitching, what do you think of a Manny Machado for Matt Cain trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
    I have awesome hitting and need a little more pitching, what do you think of a Manny Machado for Matt Cain trade?
    That depends on who your backup 3B is. They're awfully hard to come by, with only a handful of really good ones out there. Wright, Lawrie (not so much this year), Hanley, Zimmerman, etc. Machado has been awesome so far whereas Matt Cain has been terrible, and 3Bs are not easy to find. Do you have a reasonable backup? Like is Nolan Arenado still floating around on the WW? Or do you have another one on your roster?

In short, straight up, I like it...but only if you can afford to do the move without leaving a vacuum at 3B. Fundamental rule of fantasy to not create one hole to fill another. I also think there's a chance you might be able to do better than Cain if you can find somebody who's desperate for infield bat help.

I'm going to attempt to trade Pujols. Anybody think there's a chance I can get Goldschmidt straight up for him? Or has that ship sailed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    That depends on who your backup 3B is. They're awfully hard to come by, with only a handful of really good ones out there. Wright, Lawrie (not so much this year), Hanley, Zimmerman, etc. Machado has been awesome so far whereas Matt Cain has been terrible, and 3Bs are not easy to find. Do you have a reasonable backup? Like is Nolan Arenado still floating around on the WW? Or do you have another one on your roster?

In short, straight up, I like it...but only if you can afford to do the move without leaving a vacuum at 3B. Fundamental rule of fantasy to not create one hole to fill another. I also think there's a chance you might be able to do better than Cain if you can find somebody who's desperate for infield bat help.

I'm going to attempt to trade Pujols. Anybody think there's a chance I can get Goldschmidt straight up for him? Or has that ship sailed?
    My league has a slot for CI(corner infield) my third baseman is evan longoria, so I could pick up either a 1st baseman or a third baseman to fill the spot. Not much on the wire, adam lind, mayberry , and Ike davis who stands 6 feet away from home plate and wont make adjustments.
    I have goldy and I wouldnt do it. I love that guy, got him in the fourth round. My first four picks were 1. McCutchen 2.J.upton 3.longoria 4. Goldshmidt

My league has a slot for CI(corner infield) my third baseman is evan longoria, so I could pick up either a 1st baseman or a third baseman to fill the spot. Not much on the wire, adam lind, mayberry , and Ike davis who stands 6 feet away from home plate and wont make adjustments.
    I have goldy and I wouldnt do it. I love that guy, got him in the fourth round. My first four picks were 1. McCutchen 2.J.upton 3.longoria 4. Goldshmidt
    In that case I'd at least be looking to replace Machado's production. Like, for instance, if based on your league scoring structure Machado is currently ranked 30th, I wouldn't settle for Cain who's probably sitting somewhere in the 600s or 700s for season rank. I'd be looking for a proven pitcher sitting somewhere in the top 40. You'll have to do a little digging. See who's got good pitching but could use a 3B. Someone who might be willing to overpay a little bit. But Cain is too much risk for me right now. I firmly believe he'll turn it around, but I wouldn't want to take the chance, you know?

In that case I'd at least be looking to replace Machado's production. Like, for instance, if based on your league scoring structure Machado is currently ranked 30th, I wouldn't settle for Cain who's probably sitting somewhere in the 600s or 700s for season rank. I'd be looking for a proven pitcher sitting somewhere in the top 40. You'll have to do a little digging. See who's got good pitching but could use a 3B. Someone who might be willing to overpay a little bit. But Cain is too much risk for me right now. I firmly believe he'll turn it around, but I wouldn't want to take the chance, you know?
    I hear ya, but I really think Cain will be his old self for the rest of the year. His velocity is the same and has been pitching good lately except for on game at Coors.

I hear ya, but I really think Cain will be his old self for the rest of the year. His velocity is the same and has been pitching good lately except for on game at Coors.
    As long as you think he'll turn it around then go for it. Don't let me talk you out of it. There have been plenty of moves that I've talked myself out of/in to that I wish I never had. But since not a single one of my teams has a good 3B, unless people still count Brett Lawrie as such, in my mind there's a premium on guys that can produce at that position.

I got faith in Cain I think Im gonna do it

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Was offered League and Tulo for Kershaw and Henderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Was offered League and Tulo for Kershaw and Henderson.
    Henderson is a much better RP option than League IMO. What it comes down to then is how much more you value a batter over a pitcher, because the general fantasy rule is take the bat first. For what it's worth, in our league where pitching is severely overvalued (H2H points) Kershaw went second overall, whereas I was able to grab Tulo at the bottom of the 2nd round. They're both having great seasons, and there are really very few good shortstops out there. VERY few.

I would consider the Tulo for Kershaw thing straight up, but Henderson to League is pretty significant downgrade. And even Tulo for Kershaw straight up is iffy IMO. It depends on the rest of your pitching staff. Can you afford to lose the best pitcher in the game? The only reason the answer to that question would be "yes" was if you did really well with pitching in later rounds. Like if your staff was Kershaw, Darvish, Sale, Harvey, Hamels, etc.

But unless you have a MINIMUM of three more legit aces on the bench, I don't think you can afford to give up the best pitcher in the game (at least Kershaw is IMO). And even if your pitching was absolutely stacked, you would have to be really hurting at SS for me to consider it. Like, having Hanley on the DL doesn't count. Starting Dee Gordon and desperately pillaging the waiver wire does count.

In short, I'd only consider it if the guy took out Henderson and League. And then I'd only consider it if your pitching was good enough to get by without Kershaw and if you desperately needed SS and batting help overall. But this is based on my league settings...pitchers could be worth jack crap in your league for all I know.

It's a roto league where I loaded up on pitching and I'm way ahead in wins and K. The rest of my pitchers are Buccholz, Medlen, Wainwright, Dickey and Sanchez. The thing is that I auto-drafted and missed all the closers, and Henderson is my only one, so I can't win that category anyway.

It's a roto league where I loaded up on pitching and I'm way ahead in wins and K. The rest of my pitchers are Buccholz, Medlen, Wainwright, Dickey and Sanchez. The thing is that I auto-drafted and missed all the closers, and Henderson is my only one, so I can't win that category anyway.
    Well does Tulo drastically help your batting then? Who's your current SS? How are you doing in the batting categories?

Bear in mind that Kershaw is probably the biggest reason why you're consistently winning the pitching categories, and frankly I'd be hesitant to give up one of the sure things on your roster unless you have to. If you're batting's really weak, you certainly CAN afford the pitching loss with the rest of your squad. The question though should be whether you HAVE to. Straight up, if I were given the opportunity and both Tulo and Kershaw were on the board, I'd take Kershaw over Tulo, but again our league favors pitching.

The Henderson thing, even though you're not winning saves, still lopsides the trade in his favor. There's no reason to give up an asset like Henderson because the RP categories are a "lost cause" in your opinion. Closers pop up on the WW all the time. Hell, I'll bet you didn't even draft Henderson. You might be able to salvage that category a little later on, but not if Brandon League is your only closer.

I guess if I had to summarize I'd say this:
    1) I'd only consider it if it were Tulo for Kershaw straight up
    2) If it were Tulo for Kershaw straight up, I'd only do it if my batting sorely needed the help
    3) Even if my batting sorely needed the help, I'd shop Kershaw elsewhere since you might be able to do better. Verlander just landed someone CarGo in one of my other leagues, and Kershaw is better than Verlander.

But hey, like I said earlier in this thread, don't let me talk you out of a move you feel is right. Ultimately it comes down to what you think is the best for your team. Lord knows I've screwed myself with over-thinking before.

In other news, in our H2H points redraft league I just had the following trade accepted:

Gave: Albert Pujols, Joe Mauer
    Got: Paul Goldschmidt, Mike Napoli

I personally don't see a big turnaround for Albert, and if Goldschmidt keeps this up the downgrade from Mauer to Napoli will be well worth it IMO. Thoughts gentlemen?

If you need hitting i would do it and cross my fingers tulo stays healthy. The only downside is that I doubt league keeps his job much longer. If you do the trade pick up kenley jansen and put him on the bench if he is available. He is much better than league.

If you need hitting i would do it and cross my fingers tulo stays healthy. The only downside is that I doubt league keeps his job much longer. If you do the trade pick up kenley jansen and put him on the bench if he is available. He is much better than league.
    Jansen is gone. This league hawks closers.

I'm trying to get Votto instead.

Anyone have thoughts on that Pujols deal?

Anyone have thoughts on that Pujols deal?
    I like your end of the deal much better. I think goldy will outperform pujols and give a few SBs. I would rather Napoli than Mauer also.

Jansen is gone. This league hawks closers.

I'm trying to get Votto instead.
    Votto is much safer than Tulo, I would do Kershaw for Votto straight up, especially if I needed hitting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast