Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Trade [RW] Gáborík to CBJ for [F] Brassard, [F] Dorsett, [D] Moore, 6th

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Thump23 View Post
    Do you have any faith that they're suddenly going to start lighting it up with 12 games to go?
    You highlighted everything except "if". We'll see what happens. My post was in response to Momentum's post about adding a goal scorer. I'm assuming he means next season being that the deadline is over. Unless he feels Fast, Kreider, or someone else is going to come in and start tearing it up, which I highly doubt will happen this year.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I was asking myself that same question before every game started this year.
    We went over all this yesterday, so I'm not going to rehash it all, but the same people saying "you act like Clowe will never score again" were acting like Gaborik will never score again.

I'd have preferred getting a Cam Atkinson or Matt Calvert, but I really like Dorsett and have no issue with Brassard.

I like the players we got, but I still think we overpaid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    We went over all this yesterday, so I'm not going to rehash it all, but the same people saying "you act like Clowe will never score again" were acting like Gaborik will never score again.

I'd have preferred getting a Cam Atkinson or Matt Calvert, but I really like Dorsett and have no issue with Brassard.

I like the players we got, but I still think we overpaid for it.
    Fair, but if neither player is scoring goals, I'd rather have Clowe, Brassard or Dorsett on the ice than Gaborik. It's about who works where, not "he's a superstar, he'll start scoring in bunches". If Gaborik isn't scoring, he's tits on a nun. I'm not discrediting his previous production here but this is a "what have you done for me lately" business. Maybe he's banged up, scared to get involved, or whatever. You can't tell me he didn't have a good amount of fake back checks and poor efforts along the boards in any zone. His halfhearted poke check attempts in the nz were pretty weak. He wasn't on the right side of the puck, he'd miss his attempt to break the play up and the puck is going the other way. It happened a lot. Maybe it was Torts, maybe he was reluctant to get hit, maybe it was an injury or the surgery. Point is, whatever it was, it wasn't working here. The move may make him a better player in Columbus and may make the Rangers better. Win, win for all parties involved.

Fair, but if neither player is scoring goals, I'd rather have Clowe, Brassard or Dorsett on the ice than Gaborik. It's about who works where, not "he's a superstar, he'll start scoring in bunches". If Gaborik isn't scoring, he's tits on a nun. I'm not discrediting his previous production here but this is a "what have you done for me lately" business. Maybe he's banged up, scared to get involved, or whatever. You can't tell me he didn't have a good amount of fake back checks and poor efforts along the boards in any zone. His halfhearted poke check attempts in the nz were pretty weak. He wasn't on the right side of the puck, he'd miss his attempt to break the play up and the puck is going the other way. It happened a lot. Maybe it was Torts, maybe he was reluctant to get hit, maybe it was an injury or the surgery. Point is, whatever it was, it wasn't working here. The move may make him a better player in Columbus and may make the Rangers better. Win, win for all parties involved.
    No doubt, but it's going to take more than 1 game to decide and they still, IMO, overly addressed one area of concern while doing almost nothing to address another one. We'll see if it works.

No doubt, but it's going to take more than 1 game to decide and they still, IMO, overly addressed one area of concern while doing almost nothing to address another one. We'll see if it works.
    Of course. Same if Gabs goes 2-2-4 tonight. It's great to see, but there's more grass to mow. Look at Montreal, Boston, Toronto, Ottawa ... all top ten in scoring with most of their double digit scorers being hard workers, not elite goal scorers.

Senior Member Junior Division
    You highlighted everything except "if". We'll see what happens. My post was in response to Momentum's post about adding a goal scorer. I'm assuming he means next season being that the deadline is over. Unless he feels Fast, Kreider, or someone else is going to come in and start tearing it up, which I highly doubt will happen this year.
    No I was indeed talking about the team next year, I feel we need some more scoring power to be a consistent threat to other teams. whether that is a pickup in the offseason or if one of our prospects such as Kreider/Miller/Fast etc can step up remains to be seen. As far as this season goes we could get lucky and Nash goes on a 2 week tear in the playoffs or someone like Richards finds his play again etc.
    Last edited by momentum; 04-04-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Who exactly was going to trade a player who was "scoring", for Gaborik....who carries a HUGE cap hit, is aging....and ISN'T scoring??

Columbus.

They traded their leading scorer for him. And their heart and soul player. And a guy everyone claims will be a stud on defense.

Guess they don't think Gaborik sucks so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Who exactly was going to trade a player who was "scoring", for Gaborik....who carries a HUGE cap hit, is aging....and ISN'T scoring??
    Well Mike Milbury isn't GM anymore so.....maybe Santa??

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect

Pierre McGuire On Deadline Deals

As for the Rangers' side of the deal, McGuire broke it down this way: "Dorsett can fill the void left by Brandon Prust signing with Montreal in the off-season, although he's out right now with a broken collar bone.

John Moore is a very good skater, a poor man's Ryan McDonagh. Brassard can be a very good third line center for the Rangers and eventually a 'two'. He'll be comfortable in New York and he thinks the world of Rick Nash, who he played with in Columbus. And if you add the trade for Ryane Clowe, I think the Rangers have done a lot of good things this week.
    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl...#ixzz2PXCZUutT
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Hey Rhom we're both right!

Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    Pretty much my exact words to a few Ranger fan friends of mine when they were pissed about Gaborik being dealt, on top of the 15M we have next year to sign our young guys, all in all, a very good move.

Senior Member Midget Division Rangers's Avatar
    Gabby scores a goal, and has an assist for blue jackets ).. i guess both team benefited from the first game so far...
    Shoot the puck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
    Gabby scores a goal, and has an assist for blue jackets ).. i guess both team benefited from the first game so far...
    Just what we're all hoping for ... good fortune to everyone involved in the deal.

Not for nothing but Brassard is a pretty good player. He's still kinda young at 25 yet has some experience in him. I think getting out of Ohio and into a hockey town may just get him going to where he's should be by now. He's a former 6th over all pick. I always had interest in why this kid wasn't panning out. I really hope he starts to get it. If not he's a Dubinsky without the false facade of being a gritty player. 40-high 50 point range.

I know nothing about this Moore kid other than he too is a former 1st round pick. Just a later pick 21st if I'm not mistaken. Can't be bad right?

For some reason I think Dorsett is going to disappoint. Hope I'm wrong.

Would have really liked some more for an elite scorer, but I guess that cap hit hinders any movement. Woulda been nice to somehow get Umberger in the deal over Dorsett. THAT'S a Torts type of guy.

Moore is an excellent pick up that will solidify our D. Not sure how he was thought off when he was dealt, but I remember a lot of people talking about him as being a potentially very good player. Brassard is basically a direct replacement for Dubi.

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Not for nothing but Brassard is a pretty good player. He's still kinda young at 25 yet has some experience in him. I think getting out of Ohio and into a hockey town may just get him going to where he's should be by now. He's a former 6th over all pick. I always had interest in why this kid wasn't panning out. I really hope he starts to get it. If not he's a Dubinsky without the false facade of being a gritty player. 40-high 50 point range.

I know nothing about this Moore kid other than he too is a former 1st round pick. Just a later pick 21st if I'm not mistaken. Can't be bad right?

For some reason I think Dorsett is going to disappoint. Hope I'm wrong.

Would have really liked some more for an elite scorer, but I guess that cap hit hinders any movement. Woulda been nice to somehow get Umberger in the deal over Dorsett. THAT'S a Torts type of guy.
    Umbergers a whiny scumbag. I'd probably like him as a Ranger, regardless, but Dorsett is going to be very effective here, IMO.

And, think about it like this for a second:

Brassard was their 2nd line center. Before this season (where Step has actually been our #1C), Stepan was our 2nd line center.

Moore is a former late first round pick.

Dorsett is very similar to Prust.

Think about how you'd feel if we had traded Stepan, Prust, and a 1st for Gaborik with a year left at 7.5, especially the way Gaborik's been playing this year.

This deal may look even in the short-term, but I think this is going to prove to be an extremely positive deal for NYR.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Just what we're all hoping for ... good fortune to everyone involved in the deal.
    So far so good. I'm thinking Slats looked at a problem of a dysfunctional top 6; softness; lack of size/being pushed around; an unproductive bottom 6; and a need for help on D/pp; Callahan playing being pushed back down on right wing/or/Gaborik playing out of position on LW, and addressed most of the issues in 2 swoops.

Clowe helps the top 6 get some much needed space, with toughness and size and enough skill to make plays and be a threat close-in; All have adequate size; some PP usefulness; Moore helps shore up D on the bottom 6 which some folk have been beyotching about since Bickel and Gilroy first came up, and adds help on the pp; Callahan gets to move up on RW to where he's happier and more productive, it also alleviates a logjam on LW for Hagelin, Zucc, others (since Gabs won't be playing out of position there); Dorsett may be able to bring some prustian grit to the bottom 6 when he's mended. If Brassard is a 3rd line+ center, that's a hell of a 3rd line center. Kid has some talent.

I'd have never have seen this solution, gotta give Slats some credit.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhommy View Post
    I'm having trouble figuring out how a guy who puts up .5, .6 ppg is anything but a second line center, but as always, I defer to your ungodly knowledge of hockey to further define that.
    You were right, dude. This guy has skills. If he isn't a 2C, it's not because he isn't capable, it's because he isn't consistent.

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    You were right, dude. This guy has skills. If he isn't a 2C, it's not because he isn't capable, it's because he isn't consistent.
    Lets hope he finds that consistency. He can be an animal.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast