• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

I may be confusing levels of hockey here.

I think of "A" as the local AAA team, or AA team, (highest level).

And the "B" as the next level down, (what ever that might be).

Also regarded to as Major/Minor, etc.

Tier 1 - AAA

Tier 2 - AA - A - B

House leagues

Major and minor are used in the same fashion as you guys do. Example, Michael is an 02, AAA PW Major - 03 AAA PW Minor

What are you thoughts about the Rockets? I think that is the team that covers my area. I am hesitant to go Tier 1 as a squirt just due to the cost and there are so many things that can change over the course of the next few years with his development. I know my son loves hockey but I am not quite sure if the demands and pressure of a Tier 1 would be too much for him at this point. Maybe its something that he might be more ready for next year as a Pee-Wee minor.

Vanderbeek might be screwed next year. There's a chance they don't get ice. As of now, Bridgewater deal fell through. Ameri-Health will not house them next year at Tier 2 either. Major headaches as of now. I know people there, so if I hear some good news, I'll let you know. He's an 05, right? I know people on that team. How far are you from Mennen?

Vanderbeek might be screwed next year. There's a chance they don't get ice. As of now, Bridgewater deal fell through. Ameri-Health will not house them next year at Tier 2 either. Major headaches as of now. I know people there, so if I hear some good news, I'll let you know. He's an 05, right? I know people on that team. How far are you from Mennen?

Yes, he's an 05 and we're about 45 minutes from Mennan. I heard that ProTech is suing Vanderbeek too due to failed promises about ice time from two years ago. Bridgewater would have been ideal since I live in Hillsborough and work in Somerville.

Here's the article about ProTech suing Vanderbeek:

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/local/somerset-county/2015/02/11/jeff-vanderbeek-new-jersey-rockets-rebels-protechockey-lawsuit/23250227/

Yes, he's an 05 and we're about 45 minutes from Mennan. I heard that ProTech is suing Vanderbeek too due to failed promises about ice time from two years ago. Bridgewater would have been ideal since I live in Hillsborough and work in Somerville.

Here's the article about ProTech suing Vanderbeek:

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/local/somerset-county/2015/02/11/jeff-vanderbeek-new-jersey-rockets-rebels-protechockey-lawsuit/23250227/

Yeah, I know about the law suit. They also used Mercer's home rink for games. I know a few people that live in your area that play for the Colonials. Come to the tune up clinics. I'm good friends with the 05 coach.

Yeah, I know about the law suit. They also used Mercer's home rink for games. I know a few people that live in your area that play for the Colonials. Come to the tune up clinics. I'm good friends with the 05 coach.

The clinics might be a possibility. It would also give me an idea of where he really stacks up. I'll keep you posted if we sign up for them. Thanks!

At the squirt age, just make sure he's skating lots, (doesn't matter where), and learning how to skate properly.

ONE edge clinic, power skating clinic, etc at that age will make more difference then a full season of hockey long term.

If he can get on his edges properly, learn how to get deep in his stance, and learn how to extend his stride...it will mean everything.

I hope my kid plays ultimate Frisbee.

Bullshit, and you need to go outside and spin around 3 times while throwing salt over your shoulder or something.

We had Ryan in January for a reason, PERFECT birth month. And I've seen pictures of your beautiful athletic looking wife.

That will help offset your obvious lack of athletic whatever.

Ryan is going places

:mactruck:

At the squirt age, just make sure he's skating lots, (doesn't matter where), and learning how to skate properly.

ONE edge clinic, power skating clinic, etc at that age will make more difference then a full season of hockey long term.

If he can get on his edges properly, learn how to get deep in his stance, and learn how to extend his stride...it will mean everything.

This. And if you can't get to a clinic, a public session never hurts.

This. And if you can't get to a clinic, a public session never hurts.

Lucky up here that every elementary, middle, and high school has a outdoor rink.

So at that Mite/Squirt age, I always tell parents, let em skate outside. They probably get more from 45 minutes outside then 60 minutes of some practice.

Outside playing shinny, they have the puck on their stick all day long, and can go coast to coast to get the OT winner of game 7 :)

• 2 weeks later...
Saw this being offered at a local program. What is everyone's thoughts on this type of training? Seems a little much to me but maybe it's effective?

I run a lot of those inside/outside edge drills weekly. The puck drills also.

No idea what that "launch" platform is.

Is this a hockey clinic? And if so what age are you targeting?

It's not something I'm seeking out. The NJ Rockets are offering clinics to their returning players and put that on their site as "biomechanical training techniques". I found it strange and different than any other style I've see taught.

It's not something I'm seeking out. The NJ Rockets are offering clinics to their returning players and put that on their site as "biomechanical training techniques". I found it strange and different than any other style I've see taught.

I think they have taken many standard teaching practices, (the skating drills), (stickhandling drills).

Added some spring board, some music, and given it a fancy name "biomechanical training techniques".

I am pretty insistent that we run those inside/outside edge drills, (plus many more) from age 9 on up within our two local programs.

The stickhandling drills are decent they show.

All pretty good stuff.

Add some strike work (aka Laura Stamm), and I think you have your basis covered.

I've been lucky enough to be on the ice with Laura in the 80's, 90's, 00's, and as recent as two years ago.

First as a young player, and later as a demonstrator, and lately as a co-presenter when she came to Alaska.

Kev, have you figured out what you're going to do next season? Let me know if you need any help. I'll see if I know anyone wherever you're going to tryouts.

I was finally able to get in touch with the NJ Rockets. Apparently the deal went through with Bridgewater Sports Arena after all. The Vanderbeeks, I believe, have taken over operation of BSA and are planning on building two new rinks there. They invited my son to the clinics there in a couple of weeks. The Bridgewater Bears were also playing out of BSA but the woman I spoke to said that they are now getting swallowed by the Rockets. She seemed to think that there were going to be a lot of different levels, including Tier II AA for squirt so that is what I think we are going to do.

You are right about the Pee wee B thing. I know that it's not a real high level but I thought that he might be able to gain more, playing against older kids, than dominating on the squirt A level. The squirt AA level is perfect for him, imo.

I was finally able to get in touch with the NJ Rockets. Apparently the deal went through with Bridgewater Sports Arena after all. The Vanderbeeks, I believe, have taken over operation of BSA and are planning on building two new rinks there. They invited my son to the clinics there in a couple of weeks. The Bridgewater Bears were also playing out of BSA but the woman I spoke to said that they are now getting swallowed by the Rockets. She seemed to think that there were going to be a lot of different levels, including Tier II AA for squirt so that is what I think we are going to do.

You are right about the Pee wee B thing. I know that it's not a real high level but I thought that he might be able to gain more, playing against older kids, than dominating on the squirt A level. The squirt AA level is perfect for him, imo.

I'll ask around about that Vanderbeek deal. I wouldn't believe that just yet.

Playing against older kids isn't the same as playing up in level. For example, Michael's team would beat any B team that's a year older than they are. Some games probably by a touchdown.

I visit different teams throughout the season as a "guest" coach.

Typically I run the kids through these edge drills, from age 7 thru 17.

I demonstrate these drills.

These are the drills my son does routinely at practice. Except for the inside edge with his hand on the ice...I don't think he's ready for that one lol.

I'll ask around about that Vanderbeek deal. I wouldn't believe that just yet.

Playing against older kids isn't the same as playing up in level. For example, Michael's team would beat any B team that's a year older than they are. Some games probably by a touchdown.

When I spoke to the woman today she said the news of the deal was "hot off the presses" when I questioned her about it. I hope it happens since it's a 20 minute ride for me and generally I've heard that they have some good coaches in the program.

I run a lot of those inside/outside edge drills weekly. The puck drills also.

No idea what that "launch" platform is.

Is this a hockey clinic? And if so what age are you targeting?

That launch platform just seems to be an unnecessary injury risk for training. Some of the backwards, cross-over, stuff looks good though.

When I spoke to the woman today she said the news of the deal was "hot off the presses" when I questioned her about it. I hope it happens since it's a 20 minute ride for me and generally I've heard that they have some good coaches in the program.

I'll find out for sure tomorrow, and let you know. They were running those clinics for free because of all the ice time the kids got fucked out of this year with the whole Vanderbeek mess. I'm very close with an 05 AAA parent. They'll know exactly what's going on.

I appreciate that. We'll be heading down to Maryland to cap off this season that has been memorable for too many of the wrong reasons. Hopefully the kids can put it all together to make our last games of the season memorable for the right reasons! I should be in a real good frame of mind tomorrow considering I'm stuck at work until 700 tomorrow morning then have to drive to Maryland around 12:30 or so....

I appreciate that. We'll be heading down to Maryland to cap off this season that has been memorable for too many of the wrong reasons. Hopefully the kids can put it all together to make our last games of the season memorable for the right reasons! I should be in a real good frame of mind tomorrow considering I'm stuck at work until 700 tomorrow morning then have to drive to Maryland around 12:30 or so....

Tourny?