• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Good start to our season so far. Only two league games so far but won both of those. My son is playing a real strong two way game. Coaches are very happy with his effort which makes me happy as well. Playing at the rink attached to the rock tomorrow afternoon in a nl game.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone have any tournaments this weekend? We are heading to Hershey, PA again. Lost a heart-breaker last year with my son pinging one off the post in a shoot-out loss in the semi-finals to end the game. This years draw doesn't look too promising with a AA team playing in the A bracket but you never know.

What is a super series? And what happened to Michael?

Super Series is just playing 5 games with no playoff bracket.

He has Osgood- Schlatter in his left knee, and chondramalacia patella in his right knee. Whatever the fuck that means.

That's a bummer that he's out for a while. I know when my kid misses a game due to illness he gets pretty upset. Are you still planning on heading up to CT or are you allowed to miss it since he won't be playing?

We might go catch a game or 2, because we have nothing else planned. It's only 50 minutes from me.

Alright, after an interesting weekend of hockey I have to throw this out here for my fellow hockey parents. During the third game of the tournament, with our team tied 2-2 in a game that we needed to win, the coach, with approximately 5 minutes left in the game, started cycling just two lines instead of our normal three lines. Let me give you a little background here...our coach doesn't change lines. He makes lines at the beginning of the season and sticks to them. I'm not sure why he does this but it is just the way it is. Initially, the first line and second lines appeared fairly even while the third line had two returning players and one new player but were lacking pace of play among other things. As the season has progressed, our #1 line has taken off and has accounted for 24 of our 32 league goals that we've scored with the second line having 7 and the third line getting the other goal. The #3 line has clearly struggled and has been on the ice for a large majority of the goals against our team.

This brings me back to Saturday. The parents of the kids on this #3 line flipped out about their kids losing out on some ice time at the end of the game. Granted they were given their regular shifts throughout the game and were responsible for both goals against as well as some terribly timed penalties. The game still ended in a tie although we forced a lot of good scoring chances at the end but just couldn't put in the game winner.

I'll pose the question to you guys: What is your take on this type of coaching at this level (squirt 'A' 9-10 yo's)? Do you agree with him playing the better players at the end in an effort to get a win during a tournament?

His decision and then the parents reactions afterwords created a little bit of ugliness Saturday with some spillover into Sunday.

This isn't an easy situation, but it happens everywhere. Here's my take on it, and I'm sure Puck and Dunny will have different views ....

I think at squirt A the lines should be rolled evenly. With that said, when a game is on the line, and that 3rd line, or 10, 11, 12 kid isn't playing well it's tough for a coach to make the decision to put them out there. You're going to have unhappy parents no matter what you do in that situation, because if you roll the 3rd line out, and the other team scores, you're going to hear it from the other parents. It's a lose/lose situation. When you get to AAA, you know what you're signing up for. You will earn your ice time, and your pp time. If you can't deal with that as a parent, then don't sign the contract. If the kids aren't good enough, then put them in a place where they can succeed.

Note* there's a 24 hour rule for coaches for a reason. No parent should cross that line. It's not fair.

This isn't an easy situation, but it happens everywhere. Here's my take on it, and I'm sure Puck and Dunny will have different views ....

I think at squirt A the lines should be rolled evenly. With that said, when a game is on the line, and that 3rd line, or 10, 11, 12 kid isn't playing well it's tough for a coach to make the decision to put them out there. You're going to have unhappy parents no matter what you do in that situation, because if you roll the 3rd line out, and the other team scores, you're going to hear it from the other parents. It's a lose/lose situation. When you get to AAA, you know what you're signing up for. You will earn your ice time, and your pp time. If you can't deal with that as a parent, then don't sign the contract. If the kids aren't good enough, then put them in a place where they can succeed.

Note* there's a 24 hour rule for coaches for a reason. No parent should cross that line. It's not fair.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm not sure if the coach was actually approached directly but a lot of shit was directed at one of the assistant's wives which is how I learned of it. Obviously I witnessed the parents getting upset but I didn't see what happened afterwords. For what its worth, during our game today, which essentially was meaningless since we basically had no chance of advancing to the playoffs, the coach started the #3 line and pumped them out there very frequently with the #1 line getting minimal ice time. I mentioned this to one of the parents involved saying it was a nice gesture and the parent (actually a way-too involved grandparent) responded "too fucking little, too fucking late". I found this to be completely over-the-top but it is what it is.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm not sure if the coach was actually approached directly but a lot of shit was directed at one of the assistant's wives which is how I learned of it. Obviously I witnessed the parents getting upset but I didn't see what happened afterwords. For what its worth, during our game today, which essentially was meaningless since we basically had no chance of advancing to the playoffs, the coach started the #3 line and pumped them out there very frequently with the #1 line getting minimal ice time. I mentioned this to one of the parents involved saying it was a nice gesture and the parent (actually a way-too involved grandparent) responded "too fucking little, too fucking late". I found this to be completely over-the-top but it is what it is.

If you don't know how good your kid is, you're either blind, or stupid. Whether or not you believe this should happen in youth hockey, if you can't handle it then don't put him on a team where you know he's not a top 6 player.

At that age it's tough, but I would roll 2 lines and 3 D. :D

Believe me, in the heat of the moment, I'm ALL for this! Actually, I have no issue with the way the coach is handling the ice time at all but that might be because my son is getting a lot of the time. I'd like to think, though, that I'm realistic enough to understand that if my son wasn't as good as some others than they should be in there during crunch time. Shoot, that's most likely going to be the case next season if/when he moves up to pee-wee.

If you don't know how good your kid is, you're either blind, or stupid. Whether or not you believe this should happen in youth hockey, if you can't handle it then don't put him on a team where you know he's not a top 6 player.

This is what I have discussed, at length, with some of the other parents. Are they not watching the same thing I'm watching? One kid in particular...doesn't skate hard in practice, doesn't back-check hard in games, loses every puck battle because he can't be bothered and then gives the kid that took the puck from him a wicked two-hander as the play goes back the other way. This is a kid that should be rewarded with ice-time in crunch time? Actually this is one issue I had with our coach. This kid played with him last season, his mother is the team manager, and the kid is not a bad kid off the ice. Even though there were a couple of better kids out there during the tryout he went with this kid because I think he knows him and felt that he could bring out his best. In hindsight, this was probably a bad move considering one of the kids that was cut went to another rink, made their "AA" team, and scored the game winning goal against us in our first game on Saturday!

I was coaching a spring team this past year with a bunch of rag tag kids. We were in the semi finals of a tournament, and down 2-1. I was rolling 3 all game, and it was the 3rd lines turn just as we were about to go on a pp with 6:00 left in the game. A kid on the 3rd line turns to me after the whistle and says "Coach, put the 1st line out, and let them tie the game". I said "Are you sure that's what you want to do?". He said yes. I said "Then you send them out". He did, we scored, and won in dramatic fashion in double OT.

I was coaching a spring team this past year with a bunch of rag tag kids. We were in the semi finals of a tournament, and down 2-1. I was rolling 3 all game, and it was the 3rd lines turn just as we were about to go on a pp with 6:00 left in the game. A kid on the 3rd line turns to me after the whistle and says "Coach, put the 1st line out, and let them tie the game". I said "Are you sure that's what you want to do?". He said yes. I said "Then you send them out". He did, we scored, and won in dramatic fashion in double OT.

That's a pretty cool kid that would do that and I'm sure his parents would have been on board with whatever you decided to do in that situation. You know, I actually have no idea how these kids on the 3rd line feel about this whole thing...just their parents.