• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Idk I just never understood the whole A AA AAA, Tier 1 2 3, etc.

Tier 1 is AAA, you play with your birth year only. There are exceptions every so often to play up, not down.

Tier 2 could have AAA teams, those are usually orgs without a tier 1 charter, and play as independent outside of their respective tier 2 league, and just add another A for shits and giggles. AA is the best of tier 2, but tier 2 mostly comprised of A and B teams.

Now, there are AA teams that could beat AAA teams. The letters don't mean much unless you're playing for an obvious solid team. It also comes down to geography. Player X, team X, org X, might not be in an area that has tier 1, so it's all relative.

Tier 3: Burn your gear and throw it in the river.

Tier 1 is AAA, you play with your birth year only. There are exceptions every so often to play up, not down.

Tier 2 could have AAA teams, those are usually orgs without a tier 1 charter, and play as independent outside of their respective tier 2 league, and just add another A for shits and giggles. AA is the best of tier 2, but tier 2 mostly comprised of A and B teams.

Now, there are AA teams that could beat AAA teams. The letters don't mean much unless you're playing for an obvious solid team. It also comes down to geography. Player X, team X, org X, might not be in an area that has tier 1, so it's all relative.

Ok that makes much more sense than the way I was last explained.

Ok that makes much more sense than the way I was last explained.

For the most part, tier 1 has a way better talent pool, there's just a few things here and there that could be exceptions.

My tier 3 team from last season (03), placed 4 players to the national camp last month.

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I do no agree unless u're trying to make your kid an NHLer. tier 3 is just fine

I do no agree unless u're trying to make your kid an NHLer. tier 3 is just fine

It's house league with a travel schedule. They're not getting what they pay for. Tier 3 in Alaska and Minnesota is not T3 on the east coast. They have stricter rules with district boundaries. The people who cry out about others thinking that their kid is going to the show do not have the right mindset. It's not about becoming a professional player, because that's not realistic thinking. Are their some parents that actually think it's possible? Yeah, and they're idiots, but they're not the majority. Most parents, including myself, want the kids to take it as far as they can, and get an education out of it. Does that mean D1? No, because that's not realistic either. But if my kid can use hockey and baseball to get a dime out of any school willing to give it to him, whatever happens after that is all gravy.

It's house league with a travel schedule. They're not getting what they pay for. Tier 3 in Alaska and Minnesota is not T3 on the east coast. They have stricter rules with district boundaries. The people who cry out about others thinking that their kid is going to the show do not have the right mindset. It's not about becoming a professional player, because that's not realistic thinking. Are their some parents that actually think it's possible? Yeah, and they're idiots, but they're not the majority. Most parents, including myself, want the kids to take it as far as they can, and get an education out of it. Does that mean D1? No, because that's not realistic either. But if my kid can use hockey and baseball to get a dime out of any school willing to give it to him, whatever happens after that is all gravy.

IMO parents hoping for his/her offspring to get any kind of scholarship is on par with people thinking their kid is going to NHL. Chances are slim to none. T1, T3, T7 should be all about fun and keeping your kid away from troubles.

IMO parents hoping for his/her offspring to get any kind of scholarship is on par with people thinking their kid is going to NHL. Chances are slim to none. T1, T3, T7 should be all about fun and keeping your kid away from troubles.

That's not even on the same planet. Money is being handed out at high schools for Christ's sake. There are "rules" that scholarships are only handed out for academics at the HS level, but I can assure you there are ways that schools make it happen for athletics. There are plenty of colleges out there in every division that are willing to give scholarships, grants, tuition breaks, etc .. out to athletes. They don't have to be full rides, but whatever assistance they get is a huge help.

That's not even on the same planet. Money is being handed out at high schools for Christ's sake. There are "rules" that scholarships are only handed out for academics at the HS level, but I can assure you there are ways that schools make it happen for athletics. There are plenty of colleges out there in every division that are willing to give scholarships, grants, tuition breaks, etc .. out to athletes. They don't have to be full rides, but whatever assistance they get is a huge help.

I'm sure they do, and some kids make it to the NHL. but the competition is too great to have a good chance. it used to be that you competed against traditional hockey states for colleges and scholarships, now you're competing with kids coming out of California, Arizona, and florida plus Canadian kids whom colleges are happy to recruit. like I said, chances are slim

I'm sure they do, and some kids make it to the NHL. but the competition is too great to have a good chance. it used to be that you competed against traditional hockey states for colleges and scholarships, now you're competing with kids coming out of California, Arizona, and florida plus Canadian kids whom colleges are happy to recruit. like I said, chances are slim

Chances are a lot slimmer to make the NHL, or any pro league for that matter vs. getting a few bucks from a school.

Squirt, peewee, and bantam levels are not permitted to ice the puck without a stoppage and face off on the pk anymore. USA hockey almost took hitting out of the bantam level. They're painting a picture here for what the game will look like in the future.

Squirt, peewee, and bantam levels are not permitted to ice the puck without a stoppage and face off on the pk anymore. USA hockey almost took hitting out of the bantam level. They're painting a picture here for what the game will look like in the future.

u mean they are permitted to ice the puck and there will be no whistle?

u mean they are permitted to ice the puck and there will be no whistle?

No. On the penalty kill the team killing the penalty will get whistled for an icing and the faceoff will come back into their zone like every other whistle for icing. Teams will be allowed to change though (not like the NHL if they go to this).